Frozensnot's Mark VI w/ duel SMG's + MA5D (HD pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Frozensnot's Mark VI w/ duel SMG's (HD pic heavy)

I'm guessing you used regular gold spray paint that isn't supposed to be transparent and left the lines so you can see out. That's totally fine if that works for you. I'm a little more picky though [emoji14]. I wanted my visor to have a uniform color and a mirror effect while still being able to see out. I think I found a happy medium with my current method.

UPDATE TIME

Now that the visor has been complete, it's time to move onto the next phase. That phase involves a voice amplifier, a noise amplifier, and an undersuit.

I was able to pick out a voice amplifier that several others had recommended on other websites. This is the amplifier. I was able to install it and it works great except for one thing. I get quite a lot of feedback from the fans in my helmet. I tried using a patch of foam padding to try and muffle out the fan noise but the fan noise is still obviously present. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

I'm also in the market to look for a noise amplifier cause I can't hear anything going on around me. My helmet restricts a lot of noise and the fans sure don't help. I haven't been successful yet in finding one for my current needs. I can't use over the head muffs because of the lack of space in my helmet so I'm stuck with earbuds. So far the only ones I can find are earbuds that have the microphone built into the earbud but that will not work because all I would hear are the fans. I would need an external microphone to place somewhere outside of my helmet. I've looked into getting different electronic parts like a circuit board, microphone, and such to assemble a noise amplifier but I'm still unsure about that. Any suggestions on the matter?

Here's the helmet all wired up and such.

DSCN1580 RESIZED.jpg DSCN1578 RESIZED.jpg DSCN1581 RESIZED.jpg DSCN1579 RESIXED.jpg

Luckily, the voice amplifier fits in nicely. I was afraid it wasn't going to fit but sure enough, I made it work. The amplifier is fitted where I can turn it on and off at will.

DSCN1582 RESIZED.jpg DSCN1583 RESIZED.jpg

Hopefully I can find some more information about my current issues. I guess that is what the internet is for :p. C'mon Google, don't let me down!

EDIT: Alright, after watching a youtube video on some of same things I'm currently working on; I have decided to go with these type of noise amplifiers.

UK009_10.jpg
For the feedback from my microphone, I'm going to give a breath box a try to isolate the microphone. I may have to cut out one of the fans to reduce the noise as well.

31dlm5nnO7L.jpg

I love google :).

As always, Thanks for stopping by!

DSCN1580 RESIZED.jpg

DSCN1578 RESIZED.jpg

DSCN1581 RESIZED.jpg

DSCN1579 RESIXED.jpg

DSCN1582 RESIZED.jpg

DSCN1583 RESIZED.jpg

UK009_10.jpg

31dlm5nnO7L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Do you find the squirrel fans to be more effective than box/cpu fans for keeping the visor clear? I've been indecisive on whether to use regular cpu fans keeping the face cool and dry versus squirrel fans directing airflow towards the visor.

Do you find the squirrel fans to be more effective than box/cpu fans for keeping the visor clear? I've been indecisive on whether to use regular cpu fans keeping the face cool and dry versus squirrel fans directing airflow towards the visor.

Unfortunately I can't give a full answer since this is the first time I have installed any type of fan inside a helmet. I got squirrel fans specifically to have directional air pointing towards my visor. The nice thing about the fans is the air that is blowing on the visor also reaches my face.

I suppose if someone wanted the maximum air flow and visor clearance, a helmet would have a cpu fan and a squiral fan. One for directional airflow to the visor and the other for keeping the face cool. For my current helmet, the squirrel fans do both of those jobs just fine. Other helmets may vary because everything in my helmet is quite tight giving the airflow not much space to move around.

UPDATE TIME

Lots of stuff has happened lately. I managed to mostly solve my issue with my microphone in the helmet. I removed the left fan and moved the microphone that was in front of my mouth to the side of my mouth. That seems to have solved my issue. In other news, my noise amplifier arrived several days ago and now I have templates for my undersuit.

Let's first start off with the undersuit. I first have to thank @RoxyRoo for her method of making a duct tape dummy since I based mine off of hers. I made myself a duct tape dummy of only my torso. I also traced out where my armor sat on the dummy to get a better picture of where to draw the templates.

DSCN1591 HD.jpg

I'm using painters tape to sketch out the patterns. It sticks well enough to the duct tape and was easy to remove. Anyways, I pulled out my Halo encyclopedia and went to work. I didn't go too crazy with the detail since this is will be my first time sewing and such. Most of the undersuit detail is mostly lines anyways.

DSCN1592 HD.jpg DSCN1594 HD.jpg DSCN1596 HD.jpg DSCN1597 HD.jpg DSCN1598 HD.jpg

Once the detail had been drawn onto the painters tape, I numbered each of the templates with matching numbers similar to how pepakura works. I need to assemble the undersuit somehow so I figured this would work out. Once the patterns were cut out, I transferred them to some newspaper material I had laying around. When I cut out the templates, I made sure to give the patterns extra space for the seam when the sewing comes along. I also managed to cut out the templates for the neck seal from Blue Realm Studio's website.

DSCN1600 HD.jpg DSCN1601 HD.jpg DSCN162 HD.jpg

I'm hitting one major snag though; my sewing machine is giving me trouble. I made the mistake by getting a sewing machine from a second hand store (more specifically Goodwill). I went in not knowing that there are different feet, needles, and such for the proper sewing job. My machine basically came with what was on it plus a zipper foot. To compound the problem, the sewing machine is puncturing my material instead of actually making a stitch. I recently talked to my mother and she said it may be a tension problem. It's hard to diagnose a sewing machine over the phone since there are so many models and makes of sewing machines.

Anyways, I plan on visiting some repair shops tomorrow to see if they might be able to help me out. If not, I may have to bite the bullet and fork over some more money for a better sewing mahcine. I could also sew it by hand but I'm nearing the deadline of Halo 5. The sooner I can get this done the better. I can manage without the torso undersuit but the neckseal is the priority item to have.

Keep reading cause I still have more stuff to update! :)

As I said before, my noise amplifier came in the mail. The stock picture on canakit was different than the product I received but it will do just fine. When I first got it, the microphone was attached to the circuit board. To make the microphone mobile I took some extra wire, removed the microphone, and re-soldered the microphone from the wire to the board.

DSCN1603 HD.jpg DSCN1606 HD.jpg DSCN1609 HD.jpg

I decided instead of using speakers, I would use a headphone jack to output the noise. Through some research and a short radio shack visit, I came home with a headphone jack ready to solder.

DSCN1610 HD.jpg

I tested it out with a set of noise cancelling ear buds and I felt like I had super hearing powers. It was so cool to hear a dog barking down the street.

With the circuit board working, I glued the circuit board to some foam for easier access to the controls.

DSCN1614 HD.jpg

On the top of my chest plate, I cut out a hole for the microphone to sit. Unfortunately, I have to move the microphone to a different spot because of some crazy feedback. The intercom system I have installed really yoinked with the noise amplifier. The noise amplifier was giving off a very loud screech whenever the intercom system was on.

DSCN1616 HD.jpg

This is where the noise amplifier currently is. I tried different positions for the microphone but with little to no success. I may have to move the noise amplifier to my waist to get rid of the strong feedback. I'm hoping that will solve the problem. If it doesn't, I may have to pick between me hearing others or others hearing me. At the moment, I can't have both of those advantages.

DSCN1620 HD.jpg

I'm hopeful though. I have about two weeks before the Halo 5 midnight release. I'm thinking I can finish most if not all of my current projects in that time slot.

I'll work on the feedback and sewing issues but in the mean time; Thanks for stopping by!

DSCN1591 HD.jpg

DSCN1598 HD.jpg

DSCN1592 HD.jpg

DSCN1594 HD.jpg

DSCN1596 HD.jpg

DSCN1597 HD.jpg

DSCN1600 HD.jpg

DSCN1601 HD.jpg

DSCN162 HD.jpg

DSCN1603 HD.jpg

DSCN1606 HD.jpg

DSCN1609 HD.jpg

DSCN1610 HD.jpg

DSCN1614 HD.jpg

DSCN1616 HD.jpg

DSCN1620 HD.jpg

Well done for the undersuit. I'm just mad that you beat me to it and are posting it first. But as far as sewing machines go, they actually have some affordable decent machines at Walmart or even Kmart. I'm not sure what your budget is, but you could find one around 100$ give or take. When I finally make mine I'm actually having my wife help me make it, only because I've killed off two of her machines already sewing up some ghille suits. So she no longer allows me to sew anything for my hobbies anymore.

What are you using for material for your undersuit? And once you are done are you going to scan your patterns and add them to this thread or possibly start an undersuit thread?

Pretty awesome!

Thanks! It means a lot.

Well done for the undersuit. I'm just mad that you beat me to it and are posting it first. But as far as sewing machines go, they actually have some affordable decent machines at Walmart or even Kmart. I'm not sure what your budget is, but you could find one around 100$ give or take. When I finally make mine I'm actually having my wife help me make it, only because I've killed off two of her machines already sewing up some ghille suits. So she no longer allows me to sew anything for my hobbies anymore.

What are you using for material for your undersuit? And once you are done are you going to scan your patterns and add them to this thread or possibly start an undersuit thread?

Thanks! Luckily I have a 50% off coupon for any regular item from Joanns so I may end up getting another machine there. I've pretty much given hope on the current machine I am using. Even after taking it to a repair shop, it still is not making stitches. It will make stitches for a little bit but then doesn't. It's weird. Maybe there was a reason it was at a second hand store :p. For now, I'll just hand sew the neck seal.

For the material, I'm using some vinyl I found in the clearance area of Joanns. It has a polyester backing and it's somewhat thin. I certainly could scan the patterns but I don't know if anyone would actually be interested in the templates I made. I would just assume that most people would make a duct tape dummy and make the templates for a custom fit. If there is an interest, I will certainly scan the templates and post them on here.

I certainly could scan the patterns but I don't know if anyone would actually be interested in the templates I made. I would just assume that most people would make a duct tape dummy and make the templates for a custom fit. If there is an interest, I will certainly scan the templates and post them on here.

Regardless of fit, I'm sure you'd become quite popular with a baseline pattern and it would allow others a starting point. I'm no computer whiz but what I was thinking was once I had mine done I'd scan it in as a PDF file and just email it to anyone who asked for it. And simply post the pictures in the thread of the different pages so they could see how it looked on a page. Then do as you did and number it like a pep file for each edge and let them do as they wish with it. Who knows, your pattern might get popular and you might be asked to upload it to the archives here.

My wife had said there are pattern making kits at like Joanns or other sewing supply places, so I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to whip up a pattern that is a legit pattern.

My wife had said there are pattern making kits at like Joanns or other sewing supply places, so I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to whip up a pattern that is a legit pattern.

Hm, interesting. I might have to look into that. Before I upload anything though, I want to make sure the patterns will actually work. In the mean time...

UPDATE TIME

After some trial and error on my cheap sewing machine, I decided to go to hand sewing for the neck seal. For my first time hand sewing anything major, I'm pretty satisfied with the results. My fingers may be a little sore but it was well worth the consistency of success :). Alright, let's get on with the pictures.

I used the templates from Blue Realms Studio and traced them onto my material.

DSCN1623[1].jpg

After I finished the neckseal it was time to test it out by having the helmet on.

DSCN1625 HD.jpg DSCN1627 HD.jpg DSCN1628 HD.jpg

Next up I put my chest plate on. It really adds to the look.

DSCN1631 HD.jpg DSCN1634 HD.jpg

I have a flap with velcro that holds the neckseal in place.

DSCN1647 - Copy.JPG DSCN1648 - Copy.JPG DSCN1649 - Copy.JPG DSCN1650 - Copy.JPG

I'm so glad I made a custom neckseal instead of using a balaclava. Nothing against using a balaclava but a custom neckseal really adds to the look of the armor. Now that the neckseal is taken care of, it's time to move onto the main under suit. This will be quite the project so I'm hoping I can have it finished by the midnight release of Halo 5. Wish me luck!

Thanks for stopping by!

DSCN1625 HD.jpg

DSCN1627 HD.jpg

DSCN1628 HD.jpg

DSCN1631 HD.jpg

DSCN1633 HD.jpg

DSCN1634 HD.jpg

DSCN1647 - Copy.JPG

DSCN1648 - Copy.JPG

DSCN1649 - Copy.JPG

DSCN1650 - Copy.JPG

DSCN1623[1].jpg

Well done!!! How well does the velcro you are using hold up to your moving around? Do you have full rotation and movement of your head without any choking?

Well done!!! How well does the velcro you are using hold up to your moving around? Do you have full rotation and movement of your head without any choking?
Thanks! The velcro holds the neckseal pretty well. I haven't tested it out under a long duration of time but I have a feeling that it will hold just fine. I can move my head and neck around pretty easily with no choking :). The neckseal fits tightly around my neck but I have a little space between my neck and the neckseal. It works pretty well!

UPDATE TIME

With Halo 5 on the horizon, I have been pretty busy getting my suit ready for tomorrow.

Let's get started on the things that are pretty much done and ready. The main undersuit has been completed and my chest piece has been reinforced with magnets.

Now the not so good stuff :(. The undersuit shoulder part is not going to work. With the limited time I have, I can't whip up two more shoulder pieces in time. I will survive with just the neckseal and main undersuit. The next thing is none of my electronics are going to work. My noise amplifier kicked the bucket for some reason and I can't seem to fit the voice amp into my chest piece. At this point it's either wear the chest piece as it is or try and squeeze the amp in. The second option is not possible. Looks like I'll be going dark. A minor thing but part of my pepakura space diaper is starting to fall apart. Since I can't make another one, I need to trim part of the pepakura away and cut my losses (literally).

Alright, now that has been said I still managed to get some decent pics of me wearing the armor. It's hard taking selfies without a camera stand and being in the armor. Hopefully I can get some good pics tomorrow at the Halo 5 launch in Seattle.

DSCN1655 HD.jpg DSCN1660 HD.jpg DSCN1657 HD.jpg DSCN1658 HD.jpg DSCN1659 HD.jpg

It feels so good to pretty much have a full suit of Halo armor. This was a pretty lackluster update but once things start to cool down, I can get back into the groove with a proper update :).

Thanks for stopping by!

DSCN1655 HD.jpg

DSCN1660 HD.jpg

DSCN1657 HD.jpg

DSCN1658 HD.jpg

DSCN1659 HD.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back