Gears of War Baird Costume

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazedaku

EDIT:
The completed costume as of Halloween. I plan to finish it up for a Con in January.

completefront.jpg

completeback.jpg

EDIT:
What's Complete So far. Only a few more pieces to Go.

paintedcogarmor003.jpg

ORIGINIAL:
I am new to this but have only seen a few Gears of War costumes. Just stumbled across this site while searching for details on how to make a decent Costume. This is my first foam costume and I think its going pretty well.
CogArmor003.jpg

CogArmor004.jpg

I am hoping that the plastidip spray will cover some of my glue problems.

Very very nice, I likes it. Looking forward to one day making one of my own but in the mean time looking forward to seeing the rest of yours. Will you also be making a helmet?

I plan on making the goggles. I thought about just making it a generic cog because they wear the same armor as Baird. That would require me to make a helmet. But I am not sure.

I have the armor plastidip sprayed. I am about done with the belt, just need to clean up some of the fuzzys.

CogArmor002-1.jpg

CogArmor003-1.jpg

CogArmor004-1.jpg

I plan on putting the battery pack for the leds in that open spot on the belt.

Truly stunning! just a quick question, it seems like you did a template design similar to propcustomz baird costum and i was wondering if you can share how you did ur chest armor plz and thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
I did measurements of my body than I just started drawing a template by looking at pictures of Baird. I think I had a slight advantage over Propcustomz though because I was able to take screenshots of the game since I started after it came out. But he has a major advantage over me because hes done this before. I started from the circles on the chest. and worked my my way down and up from there. I realized that there was a little bit more armor on the sides of the circles and added just a tad more foam to give it a more rounded effect and to bring it out some more. Hope that helps.

dude this is looking awesome! im doing a baird as well but not really sure if i want to template the chest, how did you do yourse?

I have just about completed the boots, need to do some fixing but am pretty much done. They were probably the most difficult part of the whole project. I wrapped foam around and old pair of shoes, then used plumbing straps around the bottom with a few screws through the sole. I am using some 1/4" bolts toward the back to allow them to pivot. The shoes will be painted black so you can tell they are typical lace-up shoes hopefully.

cogarmorboots001.jpg

cogarmorboots002.jpg

cogarmorboots003.jpg

They are not perfect, but I am running out of time to complete this. I may just have to be a "Random" Cog instead of Baird, time will tell.

Looks awesome man! I'm going to a con next week with some of my friends and one of them wanted to be a cog, but didnt because he thought it would be too hard. I told him otherwise, but he didnt believe me. And here you are showin some proof. Great work!

Wouldn't it be better to find real life boots? I know you're not going to find boots exactly the same but maybe customizing them.

Nice work though

soshalslayr
I would like to agree with you. But in this case I will have to agree with your friend. This has been the most time consuming costume I have ever done. I probably have close to 100 hours into this costume. But it was all fun.

nightlynutria
Yeah it would be awesome to find some real boots. But, I was trying to do this project as inexpensively as possible. So far I am at roughly $50-60 and that was where I wanted to be at. So modifying an old pair of shoes was a better option for me.

Here is what I was able to finish by Halloween. I am just a "generic" cog since I was unable to finish the rest. But I think it came out well. I lost weight since I made the belt and it sagged a bit. But... oh well.

completefront.jpg

completeback.jpg

I have just about completed the boots, need to do some fixing but am pretty much done. They were probably the most difficult part of the whole project. I wrapped foam around and old pair of shoes, then used plumbing straps around the bottom with a few screws through the sole. I am using some 1/4" bolts toward the back to allow them to pivot. The shoes will be painted black so you can tell they are typical lace-up shoes hopefully.

They are not perfect, but I am running out of time to complete this. I may just have to be a "Random" Cog instead of Baird, time will tell.

What tools did you use to make the details on the boots and the circles for the look like Screws ??? I' making Dom's 3rd armor , But I want to detail the Foam, I just don't know what to use to detail it like that...

What tools did you use to make the details on the boots and the circles for the look like Screws ??? I' making Dom's 3rd armor , But I want to detail the Foam, I just don't know what to use to detail it like that...

The whole suit was detailed using a dremel tool. The circles that look like screws were made by taking one of the sanding attachments and pushing it vertically into the foam using a firm grip. The sanding tool has an indent in the top of it so it leaves a circle behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back