Getting a new 'Toy'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razgriz

http://www.badshipmodels.com/baltimore.html

Yep, in a few weeks, that sexy gal is going to be sitting in my garage in pieces. She's seven feet long (2 1/3 meters roughly), and has a beam of almost nine inches! I'm going to have to fill her with sixty five pounds of buckshot for ballast the guy told me. I already have loads of fiberglass and resin, and have cleared a work space for me to build her in. The scale is 1/96 btw.

I'm so excited. Here is a picture of one of my other ships, a 1/125 scale Fletcher Class destroyer. She's 3 feet long.
Snow_at_Brandywine002.jpg

And here is a picture of the ship of my dream.... a nine and a half foot Iowa Class Battleship! Too bad I don't own her though. :(

NZBG_2002_feb03_030.jpg

Here is a great picture of her in real life, showing how great the power of these ships are.
http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/mag...wa_bb-61_pr.jpg

Some guys love their cars, or their private jets, or their luxury boats. I love Gray 50,000 ton girls! :cool:

Lol in the water that thing looks like it could destroy the entire pond and kill at the fish.

Make war upon the sea creatures because you can!

At first though, I thought you were getting a car or motorcycle when you said "toy"

LastSpartan said:
Wow, I might ask this for my B-day :D

It's actually an amazing price compared to most ship models. Most other heavy cruisers, Battleships and such run in the thousands for just the superstructure, and high hundreds for the hull. That doesn't even include guns or fittings! This guy includes everything. I have bought from him before, and the quality of his work is astounding. (Putting together the kit)

Last edited by a moderator:
LastSpartan said:
Is it really hard to build?

And is it already painted?

'Hard' is all a relative term. I've been building models for a long time now, and have built up many years of experience. Would I suggest this as a first model? Absolutely not. Try a more modern warship like a Glover Class Frigate that he sells. They are easier to build than WWII era ships because they lack the detail that WWII era ships had. In a sense, they have no character. For me, the 'hardest' part so to speak is all of the detaling. Even then, it's not hard, only a pain in the butt that takes up a lot of time.

It does not come pre-painted. It comes in a box about six inches wide, six inches tall, and two feet long. You have to assemble the deck, put the ribs in the ship, and plank the side. Then, you resin and fiberglass the hull and sand. Build the superstructer and balast it out. The last thing you do is paint it. I'll get pictures of my Glover Class that I built. But not now, I have to leave for work!

Oh, you must fiberglass it

I am bad with fiberglass :mad:

Anyway, good luck on your project, and post pics ! (Progress pics too!)

Very cool, I would really like that Battleship. What kind of speed do you get out of the boats?

How complex are these getting? Servo controlled turrets? :D

You like your 50,000 ton girls, but I like my ship sinking jets.

My personal favourite is the F-16.

That is a nice battleship, and a great price. If I were to buy a jet that big that I had to assemble (9ft wingspan), It would cost me about $10,000.

I've never built model ships, but I like older model planes. Favourite WW2 airplane was the Spitfire MKII. Love the detail in the railings on that, and the gun details are amazing. Usually, manufacturers leave small details out, but it looks as though this one is pretty top notch.

I'd love to see pictures of the beast when she's done.

Razgriz said:
Some guys love their cars, or their private jets, or their luxury boats. I love Gray 50,000 ton girls! :cool:
Razgriz said:
Getting a new 'Toy'

Those 2 sentences can be read one of two ways....Oh and that big nine foot boat looks badass!

CMANavy said:
Very cool, I would really like that Battleship. What kind of speed do you get out of the boats?

How complex are these getting? Servo controlled turrets? :D

Actually... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsKY6-85Deg...feature=related
My only advice to those guys are to not sink.

tipper said:
You like your 50,000 ton girls, but I like my ship sinking jets.

My personal favourite is the F-16.

That is a nice battleship, and a great price. If I were to buy a jet that big that I had to assemble (9ft wingspan), It would cost me about $10,000.

I've never built model ships, but I like older model planes. Favourite WW2 airplane was the Spitfire MKII. Love the detail in the railings on that, and the gun details are amazing. Usually, manufacturers leave small details out, but it looks as though this one is pretty top notch.

I'd love to see pictures of the beast when she's done.

The Falcon is a good jet. My personal favorite jet if the Tomcat. To bad the old F-14 is retired though. :( My favorite military aircraft of all time however is is either the F4U Corsair, or the B-29 Super fortress. Or the P-40 or P-47.

If you're good with foam construction, you could probably build an F-16 for around $200.00. Of course, you would have to add the price of ducted fans and all the radio junk. But if you're going for a model that big, just build a scale modeled F-16 with a real jet engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3vpJq7ejLI

It uses real jet engines. Pretty sweet if you ask me. But I agree. Older planes and ships had more character. The last ship to ever have eight inch guns was Baltimore Class actually. It was like an upgraded version of the Northampton Class. The last Battleships ever built were the Iowa (BB6) the New Jersey (BB62) the Missouri (Mighty Mo BB63) and the Wisconsin (BB64). They each are still afloat and have been upgraded with cruise missiles and advance anti aircraft capabilities. But they are the only ships still around (still operational) that have and use their sixteen inch guns. It's like aircraft. You don't see dogfights anymore, you just see who has the better plane and missile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back