Glad to be here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a poor budget but plan to make my ODST soon
A small budget just makes it more fun of a challenge!

When I first started making costumes there was a lot of cardboard, duct tape and thrift store shopping because university likes to take up all your time and money. Cosplay in general has become a lot more popular recently and budget friendly, high quality materials are more readily available as well so if you plan your builds right you can make some awesome stuff for almost nothing.

Doing an ODST on a small budget is very doable. If you use Foam, Harbor Freight has the 4 pack sheets (2ft x 2ft) for under $10 so you might need 2 packs. Heat gun goes for $30. Contact cement is under $10 for a med size can. Paint (cans, brushes, acrylics/latex) .......around $25-30. Hot glue gun and sticks around $20. So, all together not that bad.

Just gonna second what Dirtdives said. If you watch their deals though, you can find a pack of harbor freight foam for $6-8/pack, and if you can do a full spartan suit with 3 packs, an ODST should only need 2. I'd also say if you go with contact cement you could skip the hot glue gun/sticks all together and save that $20, just make sure to glue in a well ventilated area (I'm in an apt with no garage or outside area, so I built a fume hood for $20). Paint can be an expensive portion, especially if you seal it with Plastidip or Leak Seal beforehand, but I believe it's also possibly to just heatseal the foam and paint right onto that at the cost of doing more coats. The visor is a tricky part, but you can honestly make a budget one with a 2 litter bottle and some window tinting.

Update: this didn't include the cost of blades. If you bought an xacto knife (any brand, I'm using NicPro cause my name is Nic), you could get the knife and extra blades for about $10 on amazon (highly recommended) and get a blade sharpener for another $10 on amazon (equally recommended, you want shaaaaaarp blades).

Dang, based off this math you should be able to build a suit for about $50-70 assuming you have black/camo/militaryish clothes to put on underneath, which is uber cheap (as in the word, not the travel service, it's lower cased). What are we missing guys?

I should just writeup a "Ranger's ultimate budget build list", and price out the parts to build a respectable (non-cardboard) suit as cheap as possible. Cost was the biggest complaint I didn't have a response to during HOD. Gosh darnnit, I will make everyone feel included. I'll do that tonight if I can remember to do so.

Maybe I'll even do a build where I only use the tools from that list (after my current builds) as a proof of concept.
Edit: Ok, you convinced me TurboCharizard, that's how I'll make an ODST.
Edit 2: What do you mean you didn't say anything?
Edit 3: I am not talking to myself.

A visor and strapping but that's about it.
kwik seal, leak seal. rotor tool helps but isn't necessary. sand paper(better to have than not, but not necessary), pens, sharpie, cutting matt (not neeed but sure helps sometimes)
it's all the little stuff you have to buy right off the bat that gets you, but it's not all necessary.

kwik seal, leak seal. rotor tool helps but isn't necessary. sand paper(better to have than not, but not necessary), pens, sharpie, cutting matt (not neeed but sure helps sometimes)
it's all the little stuff you have to buy right off the bat that gets you, but it's not all necessary.
I'd argue that none of that is necessary for a budget build, but if you have it, it'll make your build a lot better and easier.

I
Doing an ODST on a small budget is very doable. If you use Foam, Harbor Freight has the 4 pack sheets (2ft x 2ft) for under $10 so you might need 2 packs. Heat gun goes for $30. Contact cement is under $10 for a med size can. Paint (cans, brushes, acrylics/latex) .......around $25-30. Hot glue gun and sticks around $20. So, all together not that bad.
I live in the UK

Well now your just making it difficult for me to help.........no equivalent to Harbor Freight out there.......but everything else has a European equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back