Pepakura Gloves That Don't Stick To Superglue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working on a suit of Reach armor, using the Pepakura method. As I'm sure any of you who have built this before are familiar with, some of the pieces you have to glue are very very small, So when you are super gluing the cardstock tabs together it is not uncommon for glue to get on your fingers and then your fingers to stick to your project, and it is difficult to detach yourself without separating the tab you just glued.
So my question is, do any of you know of a kind of glove that super glue does not adhere to? Like a surgical glove or something like that, is there a material that super glue does not stick to?

I'd suggest unglue, but that defeats the purpose of applying the superglue in the first place.

If you're having difficulties with super gluing tabs (assuming because of how small they are) and getting your fingers attached, have you considered another glue? I know several members around here use super glue, but others have used regular elmer's (takes longer to dry), hot glue, or wood glue. Aleene's quick dry tacky glue works well w/ a "dry time" that sits somewhere between elmer's and super glue. Just a thought.

Sorry can't be more helpful.

I'd suggest unglue, but that defeats the purpose of applying the superglue in the first place.

If you're having difficulties with super gluing tabs (assuming because of how small they are) and getting your fingers attached, have you considered another glue? I know several members around here use super glue, but others have used regular elmer's (takes longer to dry), hot glue, or wood glue. Aleene's quick dry tacky glue works well w/ a "dry time" that sits somewhere between elmer's and super glue. Just a thought.

Sorry can't be more helpful.
I appreciate the advice, but hot glue would be too bulky, elmer's wouldn't stick very well, or at least not as well as I need it to. I also don't know if it would stand up to the heat of the epoxy.

I’ve used elmer’s, glue stick(don’t recommend), wood glue, and aleene’s before. Aleene’s is my favorite because it sticks fairly quickly but long enough you can adjust if you make a mistake, but all hold up fine to the resin/fiberglass phase. Glue stick just was messy and other options were better is why I don’t recommend that. I agree on hot glue. It’s bulky and messy and w/ fingers trying to get small tabs together too close for comfort in the burn department.

I built my helmet with gluestick, but it's a bit annoying because it takes quite long to dry. I was able to speed it up with some hot air though, but that doesn't work with every gluestick since some may boil and get soft again when they get heated up. I'm not sure about gloves, but silicone might work since a lot of stuff doesn't stick to it, or you could use teflon. Pretty much nothing sticks to teflon, but. I don't know if there are any gloves made out of it. You could just use a different glove and some teflon tape though.

I've been using Duco Cement (General household type) for the longest time. Has a much shorter cure time than Elmer's or Aleene's and is not as "Glue your fingers together" ish than super glue but has almost the same strength......if that make any sense. It takes about 50 seconds or so to cure enough to move on to the next piece and doesn't soak the paper like regular glue (Elmer's and Aleene's would) and is an easier clean up with just soap and water. Hot glue leaves a much bulkier gap between pieces and you will....not might......will, burn your fingers.

I used hot glue and it worked decently. But Dirtdives is right, a lot of fingers were burnt in the process. Nice thing about hot glue is if you mess up a connection you can usually take the hot glue gun end to the paper and unstick it.

I have heard superglue gell works very well and this may be what you are looking for. I usually stick to superglue, and I hate how clumsy I am with getting it all over me and adhering me fingers together, but it works great, and I dont mind the pain and skin covering my armor peices if It gets the work done :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back