Glueing together Fiber glasses pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike bike

Im currently building a recon chest and the 'wings' are glued on by this half inch by 6 inch spot, i was thinking i could fiberglass the 'wings' and chest separate but the problem is wondering how i would get them reattached. Any ideas? Would 5200 work?

do you have pictures of what you are referring to? and which one are you making 3, reach, 4, 5?

you can use photobucket and then image and link use the direct image code

I know what you're talking about and what you're trying to do. If you go this route, make sure that you thoroughly sand the resined areas before you put any adhesives on. If you wanted to join them through screws or clips or anything, be very careful because the resin is brittle and can crack if enough pressure is put on it while trying to punch through. Also, try to find the best adhesive. I looked up 5200, and while it says it's designed for fiberglass it has a low PSI rating of 700. Compared to that of JB weld which has a tensile strength of 3,900psi. All that moving around in the chestpiece is bound to cause the wings to want to fall off, so a higher tensile strength might be better.

thanks ill try the glue route first if not ill have to try some reinforcing with bolts and something

if you need to re-enforce bolts you can use epoxy putty. when i have used bolts i put the putty on the head of the bolt and then place it on the part

ive been adding pictures to tumblr account if anyone has the same problems or want to see how it turns out, I'm going to use jeweled on the wings and go with the strap near the soldiers as well as straps holding on for the side bars so a four piece chest system never seen it before but with the way the armor is set up it might be the best technique
http://themakingofaspartan.tumblr.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back