Going all the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

aka6

Well, I'm making a pepa suit, and basically this thread is to follow my efforts. I've read quite a few of the tutorials here, but I'm doing things a little different for mine. Mostly because I know nothing about fiberglass or moulding. Hopefully those more experienced can give me some advice, and maybe this will serve as a tutorial of sorts for those just starting out.

stage 1
First of all I made a paper version of the helmet. I used one of those liquid gluesticks with the felt tip. It works really well since it dries fast and doesn't waterlog the material. It was a good thing I did paper first because the base scale is huge. As you can see in the picture it makes my hand look tiny, and I have fairly large hands.

stage 2
This is the helmet done in cardstock. As you can see it looks a lot better, warping less and being more symmetrical. It's fairly small, I changed the scale to 24 cm high, but that's actually the scale I want. I'm fairly skinny so hopefully a smaller suit will look right to scale.

th_58461_Image037_122_1006lo.jpg

Stage 3
After about 6 coats of glossy apple red, I finally got it so that you can't see the matching numbers anymore... mostly. I also changed out the old visor, which had a sight distance of about 5 mm, with a two layer plastic lense. One lense I cut out using the pepakura template, and put in using liberal amounts of tape and hot glue. Needless to say it wasn't very attractive or befitting a spartan. But that's okay because on top of that I added another lense which I had tinted, and installed very easily right over the first. For tinting I used Gila privacy window film, which turned out to have a very nice mirrored effect, essentially what's used for two way mirrors. Unfortunately the only way to buy it is in 3' by 15', and is pretty expensive. You might as well buy a motorcycle visor. For me however, I was worried that my helmet might be too small, for the visor, and I really dont want to take a jigsaw to 30 dollars.
th_58477_Image039_122_1016lo.jpg

Next
I bought some corrugated tube, which I plan to spraypaint black and pop in. After that I guess I'll add in the details to the paint job.

Also in the works.
I'm making an ar out of wood, so it'll be very no frills. The way I have it planned is basically to cut it out in half inch thick sheets and nail them together. I have everything I need for it, so expect updates soon.

Looks good. nicely done! :)
Sure you don't want to consider using fiber glass though?
Would make it all a whole lot sturdier.

(By the way; That imagehost of yours is grim! Popups galore >,>)

Mobeus said:
Looks good. nicely done! :)
Sure you don't want to consider using fiber glass though?
Would make it all a whole lot sturdier.

(By the way; That imagehost of yours is grim! Popups galore >,>)

ah, I might. People here do such awesome stuff with fiberglass that it seems like I'll have to give it a shot eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, the visor. Well for the base plastic I used one of those clear plastic folders. It turned out to be easy enough to cut with an exacto, but still fairly rigid. Regular glue doesn't work on it though so you'll probably need a hot glue gun.
th_17564_Image042_122_811lo.jpg

For the tinted layer, I applied a sheet of this stuff to another plastic visor, and just glued it on top of the old one.
th_17570_Image044_122_751lo.jpg

Oh, and I forgot to mention. For durability, I reinforced the inside with bands of cardboard. It probably can't take a bullet, but it won't be crumpling too easily.

I got the window tint at home depot. As for visibility, it's pretty good in decent light, but it drops of real fast in the dark. I was thinking of installing led's to alleviate that problem though.

I used hot glue for the visors, regular glue doesn't hold. Also, I installed the respirator tubes and printed out the templates for my AR so I can get to cutting tomorrow. Next... I guess I'll start making the black rubbery spots for the helmet.

aka6 said:
Ah, the visor. Well for the base plastic I used one of those clear plastic folders. It turned out to be easy enough to cut with an exacto, but still fairly rigid. Regular glue doesn't work on it though so you'll probably need a hot glue gun.
th_17564_Image042_122_811lo.jpg

For the tinted layer, I applied a sheet of this stuff to another plastic visor, and just glued it on top of the old one.
th_17570_Image044_122_751lo.jpg

Oh, and I forgot to mention. For durability, I reinforced the inside with bands of cardboard. It probably can't take a bullet, but it won't be crumpling too easily.
That's one wicked idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those do seem to be of the same mirrored material, but those aren't very rigid, and would be difficult to work with. It could also be difficult to find it in sufficent square footage.

Update.
I cut out all the parts for my ar and I'm ready to sand. Unfortunately it turns out we only have fine grit, so I'll have to make a trip to the hardware store to buy something rougher.
th_10189_Image049_122_670lo.jpg th_10194_Image050_122_787lo.jpg

Wow! Your helmet is awsome. I might just use your method and restart my pepakura :roll: ...If I did i could only hope it would be like yours ;-)

Hey! No! Noooo. You do not wink at me!

Just kidding, mine isn't so amazing, I'm sure you can make one just as good or better. I'd say just try new things, and you might find a better way to do things.

:shock: Ummm, yea I'm not like that...soooo...

Yes, I probably will do somthing different...but I was just saying your helm is diffenent from other pep helms because yours looks almost completely finished :Steve:

So...ah,yea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back