Good Type Of Glue For Polystyrene?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moz

I can't for the life of me find something that will reliably stick to styrene besides hot glue (which is impossible to sand)

I've tried contact cement, superglue, ABS MEK yellow gloop stuff, acetone... Nothing works very well. Fibreglass resin, bondo, and spot putty don't stick either so I can forget about filling in any pieces with spaces. I've also read that epoxy is useless on styrene.

I can't figure out how people make large things out of styrene, I imagine on the smaller scale these bonds are strong enough but how is it going to hold a shin piece together for example.

Anyone can recommend me some strong adhesive for styrene that works on a large scale and can fill in gaps?

For filling on styrene, Milliput epoxy putty works well. I know you said you tried epoxy but all epoxies are not created equal.

Found it:

for anyone that searches this topic and looking for an answer. Plasticworld.ca carries weld-on for 9.99 a pint.

I'll post a trip report when I'm back in my workshop next week.

Another great product for Styrene and ABS is "Hot Stuff". You can find it pretty much at any Canadian hobby store. I'm in Calgary and get it from PMS. It comes in various thicknesses as well, from the watery runny stuff (green bottle) to really thick (red bottle). Each has its own purpose - the medium stuff (yellow bottle) is a good all-purpose glue and the thick is great for gaps or small pieces that need a bit of support. You can get a spray accelerator as well that hardens the glue instantly but you have to be careful and not go overboard otherwise you run the risk of having a brittle weld.

That "Hot Stuff" glue will eat through Polystyrene (If its in a foam form). But, if its like a model kit Polystyrene, then that will work fine. And they are not for "small hobby stuff", they come in 500ml bottels for about $12.00 (Im sure out west for more like $20.00...). Also, you need very little of that glue to make something stick togeather. Its probably 3x stronger then super glue.

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
That "Hot Stuff" glue will eat through Polystyrene (If its in a foam form). But, if its like a model kit Polystyrene, then that will work fine. And they are not for "small hobby stuff", they come in 500ml bottels for about $12.00 (Im sure out west for more like $20.00...). Also, you need very little of that glue to make something stick togeather. Its probably 3x stronger then super glue.

It's likely MEKP then. From what I've read it's pretty effective and also extremely toxic and dangerous to be around in any amount.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back