GOT A FIBERGLASSING OR BONDO QUESTION...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
READ THIS FIRST

Ok, if you have a question on FIBERGLASSING or BONDOING something, or if you need tips or advice on those processes, JUST POST! I however will not help with scaling or the assembly of pepakura pieces. I'm afraid theres enough stickies (and the fact its pretty self explanatory) so I won't help.

If you have any basic question about glaze, I will also try to help you. I am not an expert who uses it in for auto body repair (SPASE!!! (he rocks)), but I have an understanding of it and have used it (in different temperatures I might add).

THE PURPOSE OF THIS IS TO REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE POSTING QUESTIONS THAT ARE IMMEDIATELY ANSWERED, AND THEN THE USELESS TOPICS ( ALSO OFTEN REPEATED), CLUTTER THE FORUM. KEEP THE QUESTIONS HERE.

Post away!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to buy resin so i went to some place and when i asked one of the staff whether they sold resin, he asked me what kind of resin and i didn't know what to answer him..i was like...resin..? He told me resin was very general. What should i tell them next time?

Oh another thing, i'm doing a pep helm now, thing is this helm does not come with the visor. What should i use to make sure the helmet does not warp when i resin it?

Tell him you want polyester resin with M.E.K.P (organic peroxide) hardener. And dont go to a department type store, go see a boat builder, save you a lot of money.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot.... it's kept with the glues and fillers.

Not everybody has a boat builder nearby dude.

I live in singapore...so no lowes or homedepot here =( no boat builder also i think lol..thx anyways you guys know any other place where i can find it? Car shop?

NZ-TK said:
Tell him you want polyester resin with M.E.K.P (organic peroxide) hardener. And dont go to a department type store, go see a boat builder, save you a lot of money.

Please understand I am not trying to cotradict here, IF you are going to use the polyester resin with MEKP (Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide) Please use the proper PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) Chemical resistant gloves, goggles, tyvek coveralls (impermeable) And most of important of all,.... FOLLOW THE MIXING DIRECTIONS!!!
I have been doing Advance Composite Repair for more the 16 years now in the US. Navy, in fact the US NAVY has banned the use of MEKP completely due to its rather nasty habit of destroying internal organs.
Dont mix it hot, you will make your resin brittle, and you will also risk a possible exothermic reaction. (simply put) a chemical fire you cannot put out.

There are so many other types of resin to use that are easier to mix, like 1 to 1 ratio resins that dont use MEKP. I would highly reccomend using those instead!

It is safe to use provided you strictly adhere to what the can say to do.

I hope this helps!

Darth, what would you recommend that I can get at Home Depot that would minimize that sort of risk? I already have a respirator and PPE (no tyvek suit though).

SOLIP5IL said:
I live in singapore...so no lowes or homedepot here =( no boat builder also i think lol..thx anyways you guys know any other place where i can find it? Car shop?

I'm not too familiar with Singapore, but is there a Wal-Mart there. (I'm not sure if Wal-Mart is global, but it should be.) Also, look here: [url:http://www.google.com/products?q=bondo+resin&btnG=Search&show=dd] google products [/url]. If it isn't around singapore, then look online.

As for the guy who had the question on what type of resin, ask for fiberglass resin. That's more specific. When I said resin to the guy at Ace Hardware, he showed me bondo body filler. When I told him I needed fiberglass resin, he led me right to it. So far, Wal-Mart has the cheapest price on it that I can find.

Oh right now it s between 40 and 50 degree F.
can i resin outside still?
i know the thing says best if 45F or higher but will it still workout ok?
( or after i put on resin could i take a blowdryer or heatgun and heat it up a little to help cure it?)
and how many layers of resin (outside of helmet) sure a put on 1st before i glass?
sweet!

Bentobochs said:
Darth, what would you recommend that I can get at Home Depot that would minimize that sort of risk? I already have a respirator and PPE (no tyvek suit though).

Tyvek is a company name, its the white inpermeable suit very lightweight (keep the resin off of you)

Use rubbing alcohol to clean off the resin.
Make sure your respirator is for organic vapors and has a hepa filter on it. Dont use those little over the nose and mouth dust masks (THESE ARE NOT RESPIRATORS) they are for stopping large particale like saw dust. not vapors, and fine dust particales.

Use in a well ventilated area.
And dont be in a hurry!

Just follow the directions and dont breathe the fumes,
if you can smell it, your being exposed to it internally.

Most of all have fun!

OKie doke I have a question :)

I went to Wal Mart to get Resin and Bondo. I saw that Bondo also Made Fiberglass. The thing I'm confused about, is there a liquid fiberglass and a cloth? Or do you have to use both the harden the inside of the helmet?? And for the cloth do you have th buy a special adhesive or can you just use the 3M Matting spray? And does Fiberglass fall under the Resign category??? I'm still cross-eyed over the different solvents etc XP Thanks in advance :D

Skullcandy Girl said:

I went to Wal Mart to get Resin and Bondo. I saw that Bondo also Made Fiberglass. The thing I'm confused about, is there a liquid fiberglass and a cloth? Or do you have to use both the harden the inside of the helmet?? And for the cloth do you have th buy a special adhesive or can you just use the 3M Matting spray? And does Fiberglass fall under the Resign category??? I'm still cross-eyed over the different solvents etc XP Thanks in advance :D

ok buy the bondo fiberglass mat or cloth and you also need the bondo fiberglass resin that comes with the hardener total about 25 for 2 helmets so yea hope it helped

ok,

skullcandy- bondo is a brandname so you would want bondo fiberglass resin + fiberglass cloth(mat).

and i have a Q- its cold where i live, and i want to know if there are any dangerous vapors from bodyfiller so i could work in my basement without the unfortunate side effect of death?

uhhm yea damien bad idea try a garage but that stuff smells awful two and i fiberglassed my helmet early summer and it still smells like resin so not a good idea

Skullcandy Girl said:

The term 'Fiberglass' refers to the cloth or matt fiber only.... not the resin thats used with it. Most resin that you use with fiberglass is called "Polyester Resin'. Thats what you'll find paired with it in stores. However there are many types of resins, some of which are less hazardous that polyester (like urethane)... but are often more expensive as a result. Basically the only reason anyone uses Polyester resin anymore is because it's cheaper and more widely available.

You don't need to use adhesive to glue down your cloth... but I hear that it can make the process easier. If you apply your fiberglass cloth in between layers of the resin, it will usually stick to a recently cured layer.. Think of the cloth as the reinforcer... kinda like the metal rebar that they put into concrete... it should be sandwiched in the center of your resin layers... for maximum strength. So put down a layer of resin, then as soon as it cures, press down your strips of fiberglass cloth so that they stick to the surface, then brush on a second layer of resin. Additional layers of cloth and resin can be added for strength smoothness, or bondo or a glaze can be used as a filler to smooth the surface.

Hope that helps.

-Sean

Ahhhh, ok I see :D So you guys suggest a urethane, I'd pay more for my safety, so if I understand correctly it's safer to get urethane resin?

Oh another dumb question... do I use the same resin on the outside of the helmet? I know not to fiberglass the outside since it eliminates details, and I know to use the body filler to smooth it out.

Skullcandy Girl said:
Oh another dumb question... do I use the same resin on the outside of the helmet? I know not to fiberglass the outside since it eliminates details, and I know to use the body filler to smooth it out.

Yep! Same Resin. Resin = Resin.
The only thing that changes it is when you're talking about using it in conjunction with Fiberglass cloth/mat to reinforce it. When they say to just "resin the outside of the helmet", they mean to just put a layer of resin/epoxy on the outside, without using any fiberglass. And of couse, the inside is the same, but with using the fiberglass material to reinforce it :D.

Good luck!

I've got a coupla questions.
1. Say I don't care that it looks a bit pointy, does it mater if I don't bondo the outside of my armor, and just fibreglass the inside and resin the outside?
2. How much resin (Approximately) is it going to take for a full suit of armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back