GOT A FIBERGLASSING OR BONDO QUESTION...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Epyon said:
1.Um, usually thats just the "polyester resin" that you also use to fiberglass. Most people here put 1-2 coats of just this on the outside of the helmet after you make it.

2. The resin that's used on the inside is the same stuff. If you've already put some of this on the outside, there's not much of a reason to put more of "just" the resin on the inside; its best to go ahead and just lay down some fiberglass on the inside.

3. Fiberglass is just fiberglass, it's jsut which of the two forms that you like. A lot of people use "Fiberglass - Cloth" because it's actually woven like a piece of cloth. Some people like to use the "Fiberglass - Mat", but its much more rugged and requires a lot more resin per coat and takes a bit of know-how to work with it as easily.

4. Sorta, if you're going to fiberglass, the Fiberglass is usually put in place, and then you paint the resin over it and let it soak through, thats the method of "fiberglassing".

Hope this clears ya up...sorry you got forgotten :p

~Epyon

Thank you very much!!!!!! Yata!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this.
It is wordy, but it should help out some, especially if you watch this video afterwards.

I think with all the help in here, with some additional sources, we should be able to fiberglass the entire planet if need be. Wish me luck, I'm about to start glassin' it up! (my bucket, not the world.)

I'm making a high detailed MA5C just like Master CHEFS and i was wondering the order of resin/fiberglass/bondo to use to make it durable yea still clery detailed and not lump. How much fiberglass?

Well, nothing should lump, and detail shouldn't be lost as you would fiberglass the inside. Only use the Bondo for corrections, and not for strength, so you don't lose detail.

so what should i do in order?

my assumption

1 resin outside

2 resin again?

3 cut in half and fiberglass inside?

4 bondo the mistakes

5 paint?

how the heck do i fiberglass the inside?

kracker4me said:
I want to use fiberglass as a mold. What kind of release agent do I need to get?

Fiberglass molding is very very difficult to get right, but the final mold will last a longer time than silicon.

The release agent you would want to get is a wax such carnauba wax.

Werd Nal said:
so what should i do in order?

my assumption

1 resin outside

2 resin again?

3 cut in half and fiberglass inside?

4 bondo the mistakes

5 paint?
how the heck do i fiberglass the inside?

You fiberglass the inside by cutting it in half. Just like you said. Is that what you mean?

no, how would i like lay mat inside a long gun and paint if i can't even reach down in it. Arms too big.

Just a quick question here.. can Bondo Body Filler be used a replacement of fiberglass cloth/mat?

Werd Nal said:
no, how would i like lay mat inside a long gun and paint if i can't even reach down in it. Arms too big.

Darkshadownite said:
Just a quick question here.. can Bondo Body Filler be used a replacement of fiberglass cloth/mat?

Ok, Weird Nal, you want to cut the gun LENGTHWISE. If it were a "normal" looking gun it would be the equivalent of cutting it down the barrel. You would then have two shallow long halves.

Darkshadownite, not at all. The strength of fiberglass is 10 times stronger than Bondo. Bondo cannot handle sharp impacts, flexing, and the same type of abuse that fiberglass can. Thats why car bodies are made from fiberglass, and patched with Bondo. Make sense? You only want to use Bondo to build up the outside of your armor to round it.

Werd Nal said:
Werd Nal is SWOLE. :p

Ok...i"m still a noob at this but is Bondo resin polyester resin? and do I coat the outside of my helmet with bondo resin or with some other types...?

Bondo resin polyester resin?
Bondo is just a brand name, the pink stuff that people refer to as bondo goes by quite a few names, we call it bog in my country. Bondo resin is polyester resin (the stuff I've seen is anyway), they may do others I dont know, its not a common brand here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back