Graphic Artist Wanted - Need A Halo 3 Hud...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DogWizard

I did a search but came up empty so here goes...

I want to put a HUD in my helmet. Unfortunately my graphics/photoshop skills are pretty much non-existant. I used the water-slide decals to create my pauldon emblem and they worked really well so I am thinking of using the same idea to lay out a HUD on the inside of my visor:

The plan is that each symbol/readout would be individual so that they could be trimmed and arranged to fit multiple visors (hopefully other people would want to use this as well).

- Grenade Counter
- Shield Readout
- AR Symbol and Ammo Counter
- Targeting Reticle
- Motion Tracker

These need to be full color as the decals are printed on a regular inkjet printer and the final result can even be semi-translucent. Has anyone done this - have I just missed it along the way? It seems like a very simple thing to do but it would add that extra bit of realism, especially if you are using a helmet cam looking through your visor... :cool:

Any takers? It should be an easy project for someone with the right skills - that person just isn't me... :lol:

Thanks!

Can't help ya Darin. It's a good idea (IMO). I had thought of something similar. I like your idea better. I'm sure it won't be long until you find an artist. Good luck and keep (me at least) updated.

I can't help either, but it might be hard because of the distorsion. Good luck, sound better than the LCD Hud that would kill your eyes in 5 minutes :p

Hmmm, if I was further into my graphic design major I would definitely help you out! All the advice I can give you is to be wary of the perspective on your graphics, which would be the hardest thing to get past... but I do have some ideas. If I were you, I'd get them printed onto some wonderful clear decal paper (if you can find any). With your 'I'm artistically challenged!' phrase :lol: , I think it would be a good idea to go ahead and find pictures on line of what you want and just play around in photoshop. The only way to learn how to use photoshop, unfortunately, is to just mess around with it, that's how I can partially use it... :cautious:

If you still can't find anyone to help you in a few weeks or so, drop me a line and I'll see if I can help with my limited knowledge. I have a wonderful resource (my father, who is also a graphic designer) in case I get really stuck.

Wait... strike that.

In fact, if you want to go ahead and tell me exactly what you want, I can get started on it over my fall break in about two weeks. It may take a while since I'm taking 18 hours this semester, but I'll definitely get it done. :lol:

Peace out.

I see a potential problem with this. The decals, i assume, would be placed on the inside of the visor. They would be too close to your eyes to serve as a HUD. You'd have to really strain to make it out. Real-world HUDs are focused at infinity so they appear to be "floating" in space. Just my $0.02.

Well, as one of the main graphic artists on the E-Zine I could definitely create what you are asking for. Problem is finding a graphic artist that is going to agree to recreating all the ingame HUD's in Adobe Illustrator (vector shapes can scale to any height with no loss in quality, they aren't made of pixels..the shape is calculated mathematically) with you offering the possibility of redistributing them, and doing it for free. As for the material, I'd suggest transparencies they use for projectors in school, although I think you need a laser printer for those, not an ink jet. Kinko's is always an option once you have the raw files though.

Cheers,
Kensai

Hey Dog :D You don't need Illustrator to do the HUD stuff, you can do it in Photoshop with pretty fast results and they can either be Raster or EPS.

Doc knows materials pretty well so he would be the authority on these goodies :) Though he's been a bit loaded down lately.

512KRY6YJKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Use this.

dungbeetle said:
512KRY6YJKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Use this.

As always check for printer compatibilities before jamming anything in there XD. Just came across these myself when doing research on this topic. Also,as SKG pointed out, you can use Photoshop or whatever program you like to do it, I was just merely stating what I would use and why. Good luck.

Cheers,
Kensai

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife is a graphic designer and could probably whip this up in less than 5 minutes on (Adobe) Illustrator so you can have vectors of everything in case someone else wants to use them. When I talk to her tomorrow I'll see what she can do.

P.S. Only problem is that she's been really busy lately, so she might not want to.

P.P.S. And she MIGHT not want to do it for free.

Here I did drawing of how real helmet HUD works.
Mirrors here isn't real mirror, it's clear glass. But it works anyway.
Maybe you'll make such a HUD?
Main advantage of such scheme - you not need to change focus of your eyes to see HUD symbols :)

This is really more "for effect" than anything else - I know how a real HUD works and I'm not trying to recreate anything like that level of functionality (my helmet is full enough as it is :)). I appreciate the suggestions but I already have the application material - it's a inkjet "waterslide" decal paper - the same type that used to be included in model kits. Its easy to use and I have used it before with excellent results:

100_2060.jpg
(pre-weathering)

It's flexible and self adhesive and can be trimmed to size.

If I could use Illustrator or Photoshop well enough to do this, I would just do it myself. Unfortunately that's just not in my bag of tricks. I also want these to be really, really nice and I'm afraid that even after spending the time learning the programs, it would still be a hack-job given my lack of artistic skill. I just thought that with all the experts floating around, it would be something relatively quick and simple...

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions!

Well if you wanted to just do decal to stick on the inside of your visor, I could probably help with that. I have a Vinyl plotter at the house here, I could probably whip up a file to cut & make as accurate as I can. I Also like the idea of an LCD display, but other than it being a light up picture what functionality would it have? but if you could tweak that idea with different programing and IR sensors in the armor haha, Re-Create laser tag. maybe create a radar system with that lol.

Great job on those Helios. I'm assuming that you created those in illustrator when you said that you've got the svgs of them.

I made two versions for you. Let me know your opinion...

#1 (I Revised this one...someone else created it)
H3_HUD2.gif

#2 (I did this one)
H3_HUD3.gif

I have another one of the Second with the MA5C Crosshairs in it. ;)

Very nice! Yeah, I've yet to start mine, but those look like good ideas. Don't I feel like a fool offering my services when there are better people out there! Well, back to the never ending pile of art projects to keep me from building my armor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back