Griffins Recon Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
kensai111 said:
You lose every one of the details by fiberglassing the outside, therefore spending hours and hours bondoing and sanding the outside. Just saying, that's why it is in the stickies. Do what you will though.

Cheers,
Kensai
Not Really. If it is a Very detailed piece like HD Biceps with the Line Engravements, Then Fair Enough.

But this Recon file is particularly Simple and there is not much detail in it anyway. Fibre glassing the outside is ok on a low detail piece, if your just going to smother Bondo all over it. So in this case, fibre glassing the outside would be OK.

Anyway nice job on the Helmet. Too small you say?

1) trim the hole at the bottom. This will let your head slide through the hole easily. the only reason i dont like this is because the hole being bigger, means that someone may be able to actually see some skin if the neckseal isnt long enough, i prefer a smaller hole, Thats where my next Choice comes in.

2) (what i plan to do) On the Recon helmet there are Engravements.
To save carving them in, im going to cut the helmet up completely by the Engravement lines. Then im going to come up with a mechanism where the Three (or 2/4) pieces of the helmet can slot together. For example.
You place the front of the recon helmet at your face, then take the back and slot it together, then just slam on the top part. and you have a fitting helmet. Downside= May be uncomfortable (Too tight) But padding can fix that.. And removing it will be odd.
The good thing about this is that it probably does fit your head, just the neckhole doesnt. so the helmet will look perfect scale.

Anyway, you should consider it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again, as stated by myself and seven (who has an amazing recon helm, anyhow..) I suggest you start over. Also you need a respirator that blocks against organic vapors. If you can't afford one seems you need to wait until you can or find a different medium that doesn't require one, say cardboard? I would suggest the hot glue method but it is pricey as well. I say build it out of cardboard and paint. This is an expensive and dangerous hobby.

Cheers,
Kensai

kensai111 said:
Once again, as stated by myself and seven (who has an amazing recon helm, anyhow..) I suggest you start over. Also you need a respirator that blocks against organic vapors. If you can't afford one seems you need to wait until you can or find a different medium that doesn't require one, say cardboard? I would suggest the hot glue method but it is pricey as well. I say build it out of cardboard and paint. This is an expensive and dangerous hobby.

Cheers,
Kensai

well its not like i cant offored it you know i can its just i dont know what kind of resporator to get you know

Punctuation is your friend, please use it. You are looking for a respirator rated for organic vapors. Many of the materials used in making armor are hazardous to your health and require a respirator to save your health.

I suggest going to your local hardware store, or home depot or lowes, i dunno if walmart has them or not. But, they have filters on either side of the face mask itself. I wish my camera weren't dead or I'd upload pictures for you to get an idea. It's totally worth it if you plan on doing this for real. Ask a rep at the store of your choice. tell them what you're working with and they will point you in the right direction. that's what they get paid to do, bud. And there is another model I suggest you try, if you plan on rebuilding.

Add this to your favorites, or find it in the stickies in the Creation Discussion Forum. Look for the Recon section and you'll see the helmet. This is Belakor's version. It has more detail, so it may be a longer build but less bondo/sanding work for you in the end.
http://halocostuming.wikia.com/wiki/Pepakura_File_Index

Edit: Thanks Kensai! Disregard my previous request. lol

Don't bother looking at Walmart unless all you want are dust masks. At least my local one doesn't carry respirators. Go with Belakor's model for the detail for sure.

se7enheads said:
I suggest going to your local hardware store, or home depot or lowes, i dunno if walmart has them or not. But, they have filters on either side of the face mask itself. I wish my camera weren't dead or I'd upload pictures for you to get an idea. It's totally worth it if you plan on doing this for real. Ask a rep at the store of your choice. tell them what you're working with and they will point you in the right direction. that's what they get paid to do, bud. And there is another model I suggest you try, if you plan on rebuilding.

Add this to your favorites, or find it in the stickies in the Creation Discussion Forum. Look for the Recon section and you'll see the helmet. This is Belakor's version. It has more detail, so it may be a longer build but less bondo/sanding work for you in the end.
http://halocostuming.wikia.com/wiki/Pepakura_File_Index

Edit: Thanks Kensai! Disregard my previous request. lol

yea im goign to go to albashons hardwear thats a local hardwear store and we have a store called greenbergs also im willing to spend the money to get good results let me quote on this ("this will not be my only helmet i make/armor") and ahhh im going to prolly go down today and check ty se7enheads i love you bro :)

good news tommorrow im going to Home Depot they sell organic respirators there im going to go buy one so i should have all the fiber glassing done bye the end of the weekend then should have all the bondoing done bye next thurseday :). umm if you want to know or need anything plz post it on here and ill keep you all updated on the helm. p.s. i have decided to blend the fiber glass that i put on the outside of the helm with the bondo when i start to bondo because makeing a whole new one will be to much i got school to worrie about but uhh yea im not going to go ahead and make anouther one cus i alredy have 2 its just one is the mini version and one is the head fitting helmet version. well ill post again when i have updated photos
Thank you your friend, matt

ok i have orderd a respirator and it will be comeing in thurseday oct,3 uff you where all wondering what it looked like here is the site its at~~~~~~~~~~http://www.drillspot.com/products/116911/3M_5301_Maintenance_Free_Organic_Vapor_Respirator
thats the one i bought you guys told me "organic respirator" so i got one so i should be back in buisness by friday :) well i was just updateing you because you guys where prolly wondering y i havent posted anything l8tly.

Thank you, your friend matt.

ok ty ill be shure to do that from now on to keep my wanr lvl down :)

sep,30,08 9:28 AM UPDATE!
hey i just was on my yahoo mail for the hell of it and got a thing from ups saying my package is in and there delivering it to my house today so when i get home from school today i should have it!~~~and also im prolly going ot do the whole inside today (hopefully) ummm if i do ill try and update you with photos :)
Thank You,Your Friend Matt

October,1,08 8:48AM UPDATE!
Hey yesterday when i got home there was no repirator in the mail i was bummed out.so wile at my dads house my mom called from my house around 6:00PM and said well matt i just got home and there was a pacage sitting right here on the front step.but i thought ups wasint alowed to ship things if people were not home i thought they just bring it back to there wearhouse or just try shiping it anouther day but anyway to jump to the good part i got my repirator and i should be off and runnning on thurseday. i cant start it tonight because im going down my girls house so yea i should have the whole inside done on thurseday if not all of it 80% of it. :)

October 9,08 8:47AM UPDATE!
hello fellow 405thers im in the mits of bondoing!. at 3:15 EDT im going to start bondoing.and i should have most of the left side done today and ill have pic's on my progress well thats all on the update.

October 9,08 9:38 PM UPDATE!
well i worked on the helm all day today i have never once worked with bondo so im knew to it but i think i did a damn good job on it seeing how its my first time well like i said this morning here are the updated photos! :) P.S. if your wondering why is it all rough and all i have yet to sand it so yea i have to still sand it. well thats the update
October 13,08 12:14AM UPDATE!
hey all well i worked on my helmet for 6 hours streight today and i was sanding all day and i finally got it all done i just got a bit more touch up sanding to do but yea it will work out my dad thinks i ada paint it i need peoples opion's on what colors i ada paint it well here is the final product!.

October 13,08 5:29PM UPDATE!
well this morning i decided to make it shine and smooth b4 i put my next layert of bondo on it to fill in the gaps and i took a pic so im goign to show you wat it looks like!.

grffin said:
ok i have orderd a respirator and it will be comeing in thurseday oct,3 uff you where all wondering what it looked like here is the site its at~~~~~~~~~~http://www.drillspot.com/products/116911/3M_5301_Maintenance_Free_Organic_Vapor_Respirator
thats the one i bought you guys told me "organic respirator" so i got one so i should be back in buisness by friday :) well i was just updateing you because you guys where prolly wondering y i havent posted anything l8tly.

Thank you, your friend matt.

Excellent. Good to hear that you're now going to do this safely. And instead of mutiple posts, you can edit exisiting posts and add additional information. Mods don't like triple posts unless they include progress updates, i think. If you look at the bottom right of your last post you should see an edit option, that will save you some trouble in the future and keep your warn level down. Good luck!

hey all i alredy have this recon helmet posted but not no new updated photos as i said in the last topic about my recon helmet ''i was going to get to work on the fiberglassing the inside'' well i did yesterday but...it was raining off and on and the sun didnt know if it wanted to stay out and it was really hard to work with so i took the project into my garage and did it there.my new respirator works great couldent have asked for any better. i would have of updated photos on here yesterday but it was only in the 50's so it had to take one day to dry.90% of theinside of the helmet is fiberglassed and i will be takeing pic's and uploading them at the foloing time......5:00PM EDT..........2:00PM PDT. stay informed on the newly updated photos. :)

Please keep your updates on your armor all in one thread. This was unnecessary to start a new one just to tell us you plan to get pictures up soon.

I've requested a Merge of your topics, just so you know.

Cant wait to see how it came out though :D

hey all!~~~~October 3,08 UPDATE!

i have been working constantly on my helm and i have finaly finished fiberglassing the inside and sanding it! i think its as smooth as it can get next comes the bonodo!!~~~~well lets see how the fiberglassing came out :)

tlither said:
Looks like you did a good job on the glass. No resin on the outside?

nope im fiberglassing the whole inside then bondoin the outside
so i will get better detail as said by se7enheads. so yea it should come out as i exspected. :cool:

grffin said:
nope im fiberglassing the whole inside then bondoin the outside
so i will get better detail as said bye se7enheads. so yea it should come out as i exspected. :cool:
You won't lose any detail by simply resining the outside. It is just an option to fortify the paper before fiberglassing, though it looks like it still worked out well. Keep it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back