Group Project - Young Jorge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirtdives delivered with foam gold!

Great work DD! These came out really good.

20181004_104246.jpg 20181004_104238.jpg

In the coming days I'll be filing in gaps on all the pieces, prepping for sealing. Still haven't decided if we should go PVA or Plastidip. I lean towards PVA just because mawrTRON did it for his outstanding suit and wrote a great tutorial for it.

In the meantime, I've finally fired up my 3d printer! I'm having some troubles with my z axis. But goo comes out and turns into plastic so that's a start!

The reason for the 3d print is because we found young Jorge has an older brother and if I know anything it's that older brothers can be pretty mean. So to keep big bro happy and murder-free I'm going to 3d print a ghost for a Cayde-6 costume that he's making for himself.

This kid is so tiny!

We made the chest piece a little big... from Jr's neck to his hips is 13". This picture shows the chest piece as 14" tall..
20181010_204931.jpg
Obviously we'll pad the shoulders, but it will still be a bit un proportionate to a regular ODST, but that's okay because we're not making a regular ODST.

There is not going to be enough room for the utility waist belt and the normal codpiece would look way too small compared to this chest. I've opted to instead do the DFT ab plate.
20181010_204833.jpg

It's a good shape and size, but also it can go under the chest piece for now to cover the gap that will be there from his tiny waist. But, then as he gets taller the ab plate can just come down farther.
20181010_204856.jpg

Tiny?......More like Micro.....I fitted this on a 7 year old and was fine and this kid is the runt of the litter. Granted a bit of padding under the shoulder area couldn't hurt but I thought by the time this got to the final stages...he might have grown a bit......apparently not. We now have to get Young Jorge some growth hormones!!!

Continuing with the ab plate..

This will be my first foam strapping attempt. I took cues from Andrew DFT's YouTube video on ODST assembly.

Instead of gluing the belt straight into the foam, I'm going to glue loops. We can then feed a belt through the loops allowing for more adjustment and customization down the road.
20181011_174910.jpg
Here you can see I cut holes on the back part and then cut recesses for the straps.

Instead of gluing the loop like a band, I'll be gluing it in more of a wave shape. I think this will leave the foam around the loops with more integrity.
20181011_180341.jpg

The loops are then formed in the back and I can glue the two halves together.
20181011_180410.jpg 20181011_182941.jpg

Funny story, you may recall Young Jorge asked his mom to build him a Spartan suit? Well, while we've been secretly building it she has had to slowly attempt to build one so he doesn't get suspicious. The other day I was messaging her and Young Jorge asked who she was talking to. She showed my Facebook picture of my suit to him and said, "you remember, Spartan Chris." To which he replied, "oh thank goodness you have a Professional to help you." :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
Sealing is going... ok. Went with the PLA method. Downside is my seam filler is water soluable so I've had to very carefully not to make a mess of things.

I think the product is called Foam Putty by Woodland Scenic. I have really liked working with it. Once the first misting of glue dried I didn't have as much trouble.

I've done two glue/water mistings and one coat of full glue. I think I'll do a second coat and call it good.
20181014_142620.jpg

I sprung for the more expensive PLA because sealing seems like a crucial part for longevity of suit life. I swear someone just put Elmer's in a different bottle, printed a label on their computer and put a $11 sticker on it. Looks like it will take two bottles.

Kids love the most difficult things.

At least he has good taste.

22 body pieces, 14 needles, 52 internal pegs.
DSC_1816.jpg

Cleanup and body work
DSC_1817.jpg DSC_1818.jpg DSC_1819.jpg

Sneaking up on the Halo 4 colour palette with a base metallic, blues to build depth in the purple and gradually adding reds for gradient and highlights.
DSC_1820.jpg DSC_1821.jpg DSC_1822.jpg DSC_1824.jpg DSC_1825.jpg DSC_1826.jpg

All the parts ready for hand painting details and edge drybrushing.
DSC_1830.jpg

Some extra details and a bit of chip damage.
DSC_1831.jpg DSC_1832.jpg

But the final photos are for PerniciousDuke to share!
DSC_1833.jpg DSC_1834.jpg

Very cool TurboCharizard !

Sorry for the delay in photos, but we finally did get Schankerz shipment! The main item is the helmet.

20181018_184554.jpg

I forgot to take pictures of it before seam filling. I also took some liberties with my belt sander. Mainly rounding edges like on the top and sides. My one complaint about the DFT ODST is all the hard 90 degree edges. Turning some of those into radius edges I think ups the look.

I'll have more photos of what else was in the box tomorrow.

xXDashIVXx - She is not making a halo suit for him, she's pretending to. So there will be no photos of that. But, I think she is making the main character from How to Train your dragon since we were not sure when this costume was done. I'll be sure to get as much documentation in the best format possible.

Now, for what else came in the package?

We have Schankerz thigh plates looking quite nice!
20181019_171703.jpg

Next up, a go pro mount from the print bed of the illustrious TurboCharizard
20181019_172114.jpg

Lastly, some fabulous bicep pieces to mount the shoulders to. I also wanted to give you guys a showing of the belt sander I was taking about. (Dont mind the background it's the best natural light in the shop.)
20181019_155017.jpg
Here we have the shoulder piece freshly stitched together. I opted to get it rounder. 8 minutes later we have this!
20181019_160018.jpg
The belt sander is hard and flat so not the best for curves, but I'll hit it with 320g paper by hand and will smooth it out nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back