GuitarMaster's Helmets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, Here's what I've been up to, or rather, will be up to. HELMETS! That's right, folks, I actually enjoyed making my ODST helm so much I've decided that I kinda want to do more! So this is going to be my thread where I show off progress on the helmets I will be making and have fun making them.

What I have in mind right now is, well, a lot of things. I'd like to make a lot of different things, but my first project will be the Mk VI. Oh, the unoriginality... But hey, you can't say that it's a bad-looking helmet, because it's not. Enjoy!

I'll be giving a comparison pic to my ODST for every helmet, which is what I'm considering a perfect size.

Mk VI

So here's what I have so far for this beauty!

4D21C58C-0575-4E0B-9BF6-787E4E1DA1E6-907-0000001820DAF390.jpg

So, scaling...

Is it too big? I feel like it kind of is, which makes me a little sad :( If I make it any smaller I feel like I won't be able to fit my head in once it is hardened, and bondo will only make it bigger in the end, so what do I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
EOD

I never liked the EOD, but seeing people on the 405th make them really made me start to like em. It is definitely way too small, if I redo it, I'll make sure to bump up the size quite a bit.

8F0089D9-AE2A-4130-BABA-AECBEB92130F-907-0000001847AABC18.jpg

CQB

I used to use the CQB as my helmet in Reach, and I've always really liked it. I can tell it is much too big, especially when I get it on my head.

1AB86F2D-F98E-461C-BC42-8B174148CB58-907-0000001852431400.jpg

Iron Man

I've always wanted to do an Iron Man helmet, and I've recently gotten some motivation. My girlfriend is a huge Iron Man fan, as well as plenty of my friends that I kinda feel like I owe a free present. Not to mention, Iron Man 3 is right around the corner!

I have big plans for this baby! On my first and only helmet, it's just the fibreglass and bondo deadweight that it is. Only one layer of fibreglass, and instead of resin, I decided to go with Smoothcast 321. Though not toxic, it's super expensive, and apparently doesn't have a very long shelf life. So my plan for this is to actually use resin, and absolutely stuff it with fibreglass to make it super strong! Main problem with that is definitely the weight, but the stability is more important and here's why: I'm molding this baby when I'm done with it. Mainly because I'm giving the same helmet to a lot of people, so I'm gonna have to give them their own, obviously. I've got everything planned out, and I'm pretty darn excited!

If you're familiar with this file (shark's Mark IV) you'll know that it comes in three parts: main head, chin, and faceplate. I can't fit the helmet over my head as it is, but when it's in three parts, I'll have it magnetized so it can easily fit together. For me and hopefully my girlfriend's helmet, I'm gonna motorize the faceplate and chin so it's extra awesome. Pretty ambitious, I know. But I now have a thing to actually focus on. I'll get the ball rolling once the weather gets warmer, and I'll get some resin, fibreglass, and a respirator. This'll be fun!

FD108F38-0749-41ED-8933-E11BBBA02287-5963-000001DB0E6A01C0.jpg

CA7A2181-9FDB-47BA-A264-96F7E8F2228A-5963-000001DB14C1E8DC-1.jpg

Looks great! You're one hell of a pepper! No, I don't think the MK VI is too big, it'll look smaller once you wear it with a chest plate.

The Mk VI actually does look a tad large to me, but I don't think it's going to matter. Seeing as how this is a helmet thread, what are your plans for the rest of the armor? Do you plan on building the armor for each of these helmets? Realistically, probably not. If that's the case, the scale really does not matter since these will end up being wearable showpieces rather than a part of a suit.

Aside from that, NayrDeath's right, your pepping skills are outstanding. I'm considering starting a similar thread where I build the helmets of Noble team, now I'll have to wait a while so it doesn't look like I'm ripping off the idea from you. :p

Keep up the good work!

The Mk VI actually does look a tad large to me, but I don't think it's going to matter. Seeing as how this is a helmet thread, what are your plans for the rest of the armor? Do you plan on building the armor for each of these helmets? Realistically, probably not. If that's the case, the scale really does not matter since these will end up being wearable showpieces rather than a part of a suit.

I guess you're right, but I'm a self-proclaimed perfectionist, So I really want it to look exactly correct, and I might actually make a suit eventually (no plans, don't get excited.) I've just been staring at it, and I've decided that it is definitely too big. Not substantially, but just enough to make me unhappy.

The main thing here is, Winter is coming very fast, and I have no plans of finishing any of these helmets for any deadline, so it doesn't really matter. I've said somewhere that for these colder months, I'm gonna be inside pepping lots of stuff and not much else, so I have plenty of time to make another helmet and make it much better. Also plenty of time to make many other helmets and miscellaneous stuff that will make me less bored.

For now, I might throw in the supports for the Mk VI, make sure that my smoothcast still works (because I'm not sure if its shelflife is up or not) and just move on from there.

Cheers...

Before you proclaim yourself unhappy with the MK VI, look at this:

100_1183.jpg

See? It has about the same amount of room in it as yours.

I'd say that your helmet is the right size. MAYBE a wee bit big. But that's not a problem. You can use the spare room to fill it up with wiring and batteries for your LED system.

I'd finish the helmet anyway. You can later always just use it for showing of.. ORRR... you could trade it for some weapon or something in the classifieds area... U never know. And the hardest part (by my opinion) has already done. Making a crisp looking pep helmet...

*GOD I detest pepping...* **Too bad it's so damn near easy and cheap and perfect looking with little effort**

I hate to disagree with you, but I disagree with you. Our eyes are both at the same height, while your mouth is out of view while mine is all too in view.

Nice freaking helmet btw!

Yeas. I agree also!*on the part where he says nice helmet! Not the disagreeing part!* very nice looking helmet! Good paintjob and cool Decal! xD

*BTW... does anybody know what the word Decal stands for??? Is it an abbreviation? or a word on its own?*

*GOD I detest pepping...* **Too bad it's so damn near easy and cheap and perfect looking with little effort**

Nobody really enjoys pepping, but you gotta do it, unless of course you roll with foam :) I'm not gonna just discard this helm, I'm gonna at least try to harden it and see where that leads.

Quick question: for the detail floats in the pep file, I'm planning on using 1/16 mat board. Should I put the details on before I resin or at some point after bondo?

Quick question: for the detail floats in the pep file, I'm planning on using 1/16 mat board. Should I put the details on before I resin or at some point after bondo?

I would suggest putting it after you bondo the helmet, but then put a coat of resin on them once they're attached. If they're not resined, they will look different when you paint them since they're essentially a similar material as thick paper. And if you go to sand the helmet and notice that you've sanded into the mat board and made it a bit "fuzzy", you can either put a bit of resin or super glue over top that, or leave it and spray the helmet with primer when you're done bondoing. When you prime it, the fuzzy parts will be easily found (and if you're using mat board, they'll be there). Just add a little more primer over top them, let it dry over night, give it a light sanding with fine-grit sand paper and put a final coat of primer on.

Mat board is a material i used extensively for my build as you know. So, if you have any more questions regarding it, let me know.

Nice job there guys, everyone in this post, because I'll join ya'll too in the big head club!

391233_706095806468_1615217227_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back