H3 Chief Armor - Build Progress

ExCeLLuR8

Every Con has some form of competition. They might have it under different names: Cosplay/Costume Contest, Masquerade, and/or Hall contests. Some, you have to register on line first in order to compete. Others, you do the day of ....just sign up. Since you are on the East coast....which would make you a Colonial BTW (should we put you in the roster? Yes? You've already met the criteria.) the biggest competition is NYCC Easter Cosplay Championship. The winner of this goes on to Chicago where they hold the Crown Championship and then on to the Global Championship location TBA. If you wish, go through the Colonial Cons list, HERE, find one near you and check it out.
Wow that is real neat! Had no idea there was that much to it! Yeah I'd like to become part of the colonial roster, not sure which cons I would go to yet. What do I need to do to join? I am tying to be ready by the Philly halo outpost. I'm hoping to go there with Turbo as long as everything comes together by then. Thank you for the info!

Dirtdives

RXO & Keeper of Con Lists
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
I'll be at Philly on Sunday as well!!......as for getting on the roster....well......I know somebody on the staff in the Colonial Reg that I could possibly talk to to get you in.....it's going to be tough though, I'm not going to lie......50/50 chance but I'm hopeful. What State on the East Coast may I ask?

Last edited:

ExCeLLuR8

I'll be at Philly on Sunday as well!!......as for getting on the roster....well......I know somebody on the staff in the Colonial Reg that I could possibly talk to to get you in.....it's going to be tough though, I'm not going to lie......50/50 chance but I'm hopeful. What State on the East Coast may I ask?
Awesome man, I'm tryin hard to get there to meet you all! either way would be cool as far as the roster. I'm in northern Virginia. I also don't mind talking to him either. I have a lot planned in my mind for my chief build!

ExCeLLuR8

OK guys, need your opinions, I'm experimenting with paint again as that time is getting close and I think I'm on the right track. The pics below I attempted to match to different lighting. Of course looking past chiefs weathering, scratches, and shadowing just for a base coat this seems pretty close. All the research I've done, chief in halo 3 was officially olive color. Now in some lights he almost has a gold/tan shimmer. I have figured out a great solution and will be applying that tomorrow to this piece. It involves a gold/brown metallic acrylic wash that works very well in other testing I've done, and the olive base still shows through as the dominant color all whike giving it thay gold shimmer. Aside from that, base color alone, this krylon Italian olive really seems close!

Attachments

ExCeLLuR8

Well guys, last night I had a break though on the base paint color!! It was recommended to me by a very good artist that I should really focus on halo 2 anniversary for my paint job as it's hi resolution and the most true representation of chief. Halo 3, as much as I love it, is lower resolution and the color and detail is lost because of that. So finally I found the color I've been looking for. A vibrant green that shimmers in various light with goldish glimmers similar to what green painted space titanium would be. This paint job is absolutely mesmerizing to look at! Pics don't do justice! Now don't pay to much attention to the scratches, I was practicing a lot of different techniques to figure out what media I like most for scratches. Subtle is going to be key. I will be repainting this piece and doing and full live run this weekend so that I have a true example to base my actual suit paint job off of. Stay tuned!
IMG-20190315-WA0008.jpgIMG-20190315-WA0005.jpgIMG-20190315-WA0010.jpg20190316_010501.jpg20190316_093148.jpg20190316_093217.jpg20190316_093242.jpg20190316_093128.jpg20190316_093444.jpg

ExCeLLuR8

I am very excited. Do tell, what have you done?

Share your secrets!!
Hahaha this green is amazing to look at in person. I just need to fine tune my armor damage techniques. I'm almost there. As far as the green, it's a mixture of 4 acrylic colors from deco art, that took DAYS to get right. Once I mix it up I spray it on with my air brush so it gIves it that nice smoth surface. I have found that the acrylics are in fact very durable to foam flexing as long as you don't go so heavy on the coats that it becomes to heavy. Once I had the green just right. A few passes of watered down black washing made it really pop, subtle but pop. These pics are just testing and not considered a "finished product". I will be repainting this test thigh again this week hoping to get a true finished representation of how I want my armor to look.

ExCeLLuR8

You need more scratches......maybe even some deep cuts or gouges.
Yup for sure. Definitely will give it more character for sure. Those scratches were all I had time for last night testing out a better method. I'm hoping to get a lot more progress on this test piece paint job today. My actual suit I may burn in a few small gouges with the solder iron before I rubber coat it. I'm still on the fence about the big halo 3 chest gouge though... hahaha