H3 Chief Armor - Build Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be a Secret Achevables for you to unlock.
BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!
BleepBloop-1.png

So I tried the shoe goo, on my inside creases, just wow, the shiz is great, the smell though, guessed I miss that part, but imma use it on everything, hmmm straps too... :) I love that stuff!

Yup!! Use a respirator for sure in a well ventilated area. It's very strong. It makes foam very ridged and strong. My foam helmet feels almost as ridged as my actual motocross helmet! Haha I use it to archor all my strapping to the suit and everything. I literally coat the entire inside of my armor pieces, it makes all those little foam pieces one complete armor piece.. permanently!!!

Yup!! Use a respirator for sure in a well ventilated area. It's very strong. It makes foam very ridged and strong. My foam helmet feels almost as ridged as my actual motocross helmet! Haha I use it to archor all my strapping to the suit and everything. I literally coat the entire inside of my armor pieces, it makes all those little foam pieces one complete armor piece.. permanently!!!
Is there a difference in whether you might use contact cement vs Shoe Goo?

Shoe goo is just reinforcement, it takes forever to dry, use contact cement to glue your shiz and the goo to reinforce the inside seams
Thanks! great advice, I've used shoe Goo for skateboarding shoes but never for something Like this. I take it you can still take a sander/dremel to the shoe goo to round it out.

Yes shoe goo takes 24-48 hrs to fully cure. I use it as strictly reinforcement for my armor seams and also to help foam retain it's heat formed shape. As far as actually gluing my pieces together, I use loctite 5 sec super glue. It's very strong by itself and very quick to work with. Yes you can dremel the shoe goo with as sanding wheel once it's fully cured. I do this on occasion to make an armor piece slide on easier. Also, shoe goo makes the armor piece very grippy, which works very well for friction holding armor in place on the body.

But the shoe goo isn't something you want to come in contact w/ your under-suit is it? I mean if you haven't sanded properly you could damage it or just hurt yourself....or just be uncomfortable to wear with some jagged edges poking into you. I would think that putting some padding over the shoe goo would be the way to go? Wouldn't it?

But the shoe goo isn't something you want to come in contact w/ your under-suit is it? I mean if you haven't sanded properly you could damage it or just hurt yourself....or just be uncomfortable to wear with some jagged edges poking into you. I would think that putting some padding over the shoe goo would be the way to go? Wouldn't it?
Nah you won't damage the shoe goo and it dries in a smooth hard rubber feeling texture. It won't peel or anything. It bonds permanent. No jagged edges at all. It's very grippy so that can be your friend. Sometimes you may not want all that grip though. Like on my forearm pieces, I have to be careful around the hand holes cause the shoe goo is so grippy makes it harder to get my hand through the hole when putting on the piece. But it stays in place! Haha

Ok great....now I have to get this stuff.
Also as it cures, it contracts and tightens down. So when you glob it on you may think you put to much on but after 24 hours, it will be nice and clean and half the size you originally globbed on. Also it's great for anchoring nylon straps to the armor. And adhesive velcro sticks very well to its cured surface for removable padding systems. All of my padding has velcro which mounts very well to the shoe goo interior of my armor. The only cons of shoe goo is the fumes and at $5 a tube, doing your whole suit like mine can get a little expensive. It's a price I'm willing to pay for how incredibly strong my armor is. I couldn't imagine building foam armor without it honestly. Use a respirator and a glove on your smearing hand in a well ventilated area. Have plenty of paper towels handy to keep your gloves some what clean. Remember gravity is your friend when applying it, it settles to the lowest point through out curing, so you have to shoe goo sections at a time. Took 1 week per boot just shoe gooing alone. I also set my soles in place with it. It was a lengthy process

Stepping back for a second to my boot joint material. The previous plastic ribbed pipe from Lowe's worked OK but after lots of testing, just wasn't quite flexible enough for what I wanted. So I got to thinking, then bling, light bulb! I know exactly what material all us halo 3 boot builders are looking! A shock absorber rubber boot cover for a 4x4 truck or jeep! Went down to a local off-roading store, grabbed 1 shock boot cover for $5 then raced home to fix them to my boot. Easiest solution I found to keep them firmly in place without actually gluing them to the boot. I ran a piece of inner tube rubber underneath the host shoe sole. A little 5 sec loctite super glue on the rubber strap gluing to the rubber shock cover and boom, security in place and very stretchy and flexible. If I ever want to replace them all I need to do is just cut the rubber strap and off they come. (Still have fine tune foam detail work to do to these yet, 95% there)
Hope this helps out!

20190306_155113.jpg 20190306_155059.jpg 20190306_153220.jpg 20190306_153157.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back