Halo 2 MC Helmet complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsau mia

So, this is it! I resined, and fiberglassed and let it cure for three days because there was so much resin on top of the fiberglass. I need to sand, paint and do all the detail work. Any tips or advice is appreciated. You can tell me it looks horrible if you want, but please follow up with a way to make it look better.
Im looking for a lot of constructive criticism!

TwitchFMX8811 said:
Looks good so far. Keep it up! ;)

Great job, lets see where it goes from here.

DoC

BTW your one of the prettiest MCs I've seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice helmet, I like it, before you sand it, paint it grey, flat grey, very lightly too, it will show all the bumps and uneven areas, then sand that, then start your actual paintjob.

DoC ByTeS said:

Just like to elborate on that a little bit... :notworthy:

I'm just messing around, but truly looking good.
The helmet I mean... :cautious: :oops:

I bet Vexona would be proud.

By the way, how's that undersuit going?

DoC ByTeS said:

The DoC of love...

lol, just kidding.

Anyway, it's looking great. I've noticed that you know a lot about all of this, and it's suprising that you're just now resining your first helmet. Good luck.

Looks great so far. The jaw appears to be slightly out of line with the brim (leaning a bit to your right). Attach a brace to it if you want to even it out before bondo. Once you get the visor set in, it should permenantly keep it straight without the brace.

Truthfully you might not even want to bother with it if you're not a perfectionist.

Keep us updated!

It's lookin good! Looking forward to see it after a bit of detail.... :D

I've gotten myself into a funny situation of my own, pertaining to that....

Good luck! Keep up the good work!

~Epyon

Thanks guys, for all your input!

Okay, so I painted my helmet black (don't worry, it wont stay that way, except the inside) I did it so I can sand it and find all the bumps.

@Sigma-LS= I am a perfectionist, lol. I've noticed the brim and it makes me glare at it in a most angry way. When I painted it black, it made it seem to even out a bit. How would I go about putting in a brace? Just an example would be useful. I would love for it to straighten out.

@Dark Rogue= I signed up for an account after reading all of the stickies numerous times. I'm an art major, so I have about ten or twelve teachers to ask, and then I ask people at the stores I buy things from (Ace Hardware, Napa Auto Parts, Fred Meyer, Wal-Mart, Ebay) They usually seem to know what you're talking about, and if you're lucky enough to get a guy that plays halo, well, they're more than happy to give a million explanations of how you can do anything.

@23 Magnum= my undersuit is on hiatus. I need my guy to pose so I can make a mannequin. Seeing as the helmet is his christmas present (don't worry everyone, I fully intend to make one for myself, see the bottom of this) I can't do that until after christmas. Also, I'm waiting for my mom to "donate" her sewing machine to my cause. Otherwise I need to use the one at school. I'll pull that topic up out of the woodwork when I begin again.

Okay, so the bottom of this, lol. Well, when I actually get my house in a few years, I want to turn the basement into like, the "batcave" sort of thing, where all of my suits are displayed in giant cases. (the plan is my spartan suit, a cortana suit, a samus suit, Gears of War suit, and possibly a big daddy guy from bioshock suit.) I just think making these things is fun! I plan to get good at it, and if need be, I can get into my own suit design. I can work 3D programs easily, which is kinda a bonus. I eventually plan to learn to mold so that when I get pro at this (which will take about four more tries to get it perfect) I can make copies and sell them.

Lofty Goals if I do say so myself. lol.

tsau-mia said:
Well, when I actually get my house in a few years, I want to turn the basement into like, the "batcave" sort of thing, where all of my suits are displayed in giant cases
Lofty Goals if I do say so myself. lol.

Lofty ones indeed. And I'm so gonna steal the suit display idea if/when I get my own house.

23Magnum said:
Just like to elborate on that a little bit... :notworthy:

I'm just messing around, but truly looking good.
The helmet I mean... :cautious: :oops:

I bet Vexona would be proud.

I am indeed This is very exciting Tsau Mia!

Okay, so the bottom of this, lol. Well, when I actually get my house in a few years, I want to turn the basement into like, the "batcave" sort of thing, where all of my suits are displayed in giant cases.

Something about that rings of awesome. :D

Update!!! Horray!!!

But no pictures. Hey, you can't have your cake and eat it too. ( I never understood that)

Okay, so I painted my helmet black for contrast, but you already knew that. I sanded off bits of it. Just corners, and Smoothing, and lo and behold, there are SO many small bumps that need to be sanded out. I'll take my dremel to drips and stuff. Bleh.

I also bought visors today. $23.95 each plus shipping. I'm dual visoring, (oh yeah!!) so it was a pretty penny.

Next comes the led's and the battery pack and fans and yada yada. I should jump on that.

So you'll get pictures either when I put in a visor, or when I discover a new technique to smooth things out. I have a few options, and I'll expiriment.

Okay, sorry for the double post... I really do follow the rules every other time, but this time it's kinda worth it! Just a small update:

Update one: I'm sanding. But you already knew that.
Update two: acrylic paint does not work to make mounds of non- bumpiness. It gets applied too thin. I'm trying for something non-toxic so I can keep it in my apartment, instead of the community closet.
Update three: pictures!!!! OMG!!!! (Actually, they aren't anything exciting at all)

Looking great!

To answer the brace Q, just get something the correct length that you can jam between the jaw and brim to even it out. Then put another coat of resin on the inside to help take some of the stress. Remove the brace when you attach your visor, everything should hold in place until the black silicone holding your visor in place cures. That will then take the stress of anything trying to shift around and your helmet will be straight.

So to answer your question, no, I'm not using bondo. Basically I got tired of having to lug around all the equipment required for bondo. The respirator, gloves, all the resin stuff, a hairdryer cause it's getting cold here, and all my spare clothes. That and I don't have enough time to work on it only when the sun is out. I don't have a car, so walking from school to my apartment off campus in the dark isn't the brightest of ideas.
Anyways, here are some pictures. I used spackle to smooth out the top, and it only took me a day of fifteen minute breaks from doing homework every two hours to put enough on so it is rounded. It still needs to be hand sanded, probably in a dirty building since it makes so much dust. My goal: to eventually make a toxic-free piece. (Yeah, right) At least then I could work on it at home.
So the white parts are where I'm going to dremel it to add detail. and possibly more spackle, or even clay. Also, I came up with a brilliant idea for the vents. We'll see though. I'll let you know about it if I do it.

That's looking awesome, the black really works well as a contrast.

I am wondering though, why are you dremeling on the brim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back