Halo 3 Marine armor (give any advice or tips you can please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small suggestion: if you want to avoid having to make those circle entirely out of foam, you could actually use different sized googly eyes to replicate faux rivets on armor!
1583870601035.png

Thank you! Wouldn't also using a dremel work at getting the holes to be more round and smooth? Also where do you see the minor seams so I may focus on those areas.
A dremel would absolutly work! They aren't necessarily seams, but you can see where different peices of foam are glued together through the paint. Its can be fixed by sanding the joined area after gluing. Nothing too major though!

I've been appointed and/or summoned to a tremendous task.

But I'm okay with it! Your armor build is going fantastic so far, especially for your first build as others have mentioned! I'm also happy to hear that my references are serving someone well!

Small suggestion: if you want to avoid having to make those circle entirely out of foam, you could actually use different sized googly eyes to replicate faux rivets on armor!
Glad to hear you are ok with the summon oh great one. Your references have been a great help for the kingdom of replacement bolts and faux rivets.

I was thinking of changing the circles on the upper foot parts of the armor buuuuttt its kinda to late since the pieces are glued on tight.

Thank you very much! It's been a time consumer but has been one of the project I have done that has been the most fun.

A dremel would absolutly work! They aren't necessarily seams, but you can see where different peices of foam are glued together through the paint. Its can be fixed by sanding the joined area after gluing. Nothing too major though!
Thats good to hear. I have a dremel but no brass tube. Yea I see what you mean, especially with the shoulder pieces. I tried to use Kwik seal to close the gap but that didnt work.

Seams. Seams seams seams seams seams. I hate seams. They were my bane when I did my halo 4 chief. What I've found works for me, for good seams, obsess over the following:

1) make each cut smooth and perfect as you can
2) don't use hot glue. Loctite 5 second super glue was best for me.
3) take your time putting the two pieces together
4) use registration marks.

Just my two bits. You may find something works better for you.

Seams. Seams seams seams seams seams. I hate seams. They were my bane when I did my halo 4 chief. What I've found works for me, for good seams, obsess over the following:

Can confirm. Same thing happened to me, and I use loctite as my main adhesive now. It's good for being able to seal your seams.

1) Im getting more blades and a blade sharpener so thatll change that.
2) Isnt loctite expensive tho? and why not hot glue? I heard a lot use rubber cement.
3) Can do
4) What are those and how do I do those?
5) Not being rude when formatting it the same way you did, just did it so it was easier to read my answers to what you said. Also thank you for the advice.

You're fine, no rude was interpreted. Imitation is the best form of flattery.

*Registration Marks: Look up evil Ted on YouTube. Watch his helmet making tutorial. With my sleep-deprived brain that's the easiest way to explain radiation marks, and he explains it way better than I.

1) Sharp blades are a must, but also practice your cuts. It'll take a bit of work to get down right.

2) Ehhh, it's ok. Definitely worth it, I think, but contact cement also works.

3) A'ight.

4) see comment above.

2) Isnt loctite expensive tho? and why not hot glue? I heard a lot use rubber cement.

Locite, CA (Cyanoacrylate), Superglue, the names are sort of interchangeable and depend on the brand, but at the end of the day it's not much more expensive than buying Hot Glue. You also might be confusing Rubber Cement with Contact Cement. A lot of people use Contact Cement for their Foam builds, which is a different adhesive than Rubber Cement, which I do not think I have ever really seen any one use on a build. Hot glue will not have the bonding strength and durability of Contact Cement or Super Glue. Additionally if you live in a warm weather environment or leave your gear in a hot car or garage, you hot glue can soften or melt and de-bond.

Locite, CA (Cyanoacrylate), Superglue, the names are sort of interchangeable and depend on the brand, but at the end of the day it's not much more expensive than buying Hot Glue. You also might be confusing Rubber Cement with Contact Cement. A lot of people use Contact Cement for their Foam builds, which is a different adhesive than Rubber Cement, which I do not think I have ever really seen any one use on a build. Hot glue will not have the bonding strength and durability of Contact Cement or Super Glue. Additionally if you live in a warm weather environment or leave your gear in a hot car or garage, you hot glue can soften or melt and de-bond.
So those three are basically the same thing correct? Yes I am confusing the two my bad. Hot glue is also messy from what I learned from using it and leaves the back side pretty messy with lots of clumps of glue and string part on both sides of the suit.

Registration marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in armorsmith in the template menu there is an option on the right next to edge IDs and other options that says registration marks. turn that on.
So they do have a setting like that in armorsmith. Damn I still got a lot to learn about the program, hope to learn more with hands on experience over spring break. But thank you for telling me that and where to find it.

You're fine, no rude was interpreted. Imitation is the best form of flattery.

*Registration Marks: Look up evil Ted on YouTube. Watch his helmet making tutorial. With my sleep-deprived brain that's the easiest way to explain radiation marks, and he explains it way better than I.

1) Sharp blades are a must, but also practice your cuts. It'll take a bit of work to get down right.

2) Ehhh, it's ok. Definitely worth it, I think, but contact cement also works.

3) A'ight.

4) see comment above.
Good I dont want to be rude at all, espically when you guys are nice enough to help me with learning and improving. That is true unless you are a small child and you copy what they say. They get kinda pissed when you do that.

Ill give him a look up once I get some time to finally settle down instead of going full force with school.

1)Only way for me to practice is to make more props and costumes.

2) Alright Ill give it a look and see if maybe I can find some good deals or maybe some bigger bottles of it

So those three are basically the same thing correct? Yes I am confusing the two my bad. Hot glue is also messy from what I learned from using it and leaves the back side pretty messy with lots of clumps of glue and string part on both sides of the suit.
Not all super glues are cyanoacylate and not all contact adhesives are rubber cement so definitely read the label of your products to see how they work before slapping them down. Sean Anwalt and I are team CA glue since there's very little mess from squeeze out on seams and it sets quickly, the downside is it's a bit more brittle than other methods. Contact cements (Barge, LePage, etc.) take a bit of time to get tacky and are notoriously bad for fumes but their bond is as close to permanent as possible.

Not all super glues are cyanoacylate and not all contact adhesives are rubber cement so definitely read the label of your products to see how they work before slapping them down. Sean Anwalt and I are team CA glue since there's very little mess from squeeze out on seams and it sets quickly, the downside is it's a bit more brittle than other methods. Contact cements (Barge, LePage, etc.) take a bit of time to get tacky and are notoriously bad for fumes but their bond is as close to permanent as possible.
My one weakness, reading. Ill deferentially have to take a look around menards and fleet farm to see what they got. Loctite is easy since its everywhere. So with contact cements your telling me that as long as I do it right, my armor will never leave and ill get some sort of lung disease? I see no issue with this at all.

As long as the hot glue doesn't get gross or show on the outside you'll be good. Spidermonkey60 is an extremely seasoned builder (wardrobe armory) and he uses hot glue for his builds. But other forms of glue will be stronger over time is all. but if you shoe goo your interior seams you might get a strong enough bond but exterior seams may crack eventually. more then likely you would be fine though.

As long as the hot glue doesn't get gross or show on the outside you'll be good. Spidermonkey60 is an extremely seasoned builder (wardrobe armory) and he uses hot glue for his builds. But other forms of glue will be stronger over time is all. but if you shoe goo your interior seams you might get a strong enough bond but exterior seams may crack eventually. more then likely you would be fine though.
Thats good to hear. As long as my build will be good for a while and doesn't screw up later or fall apart withing a few years Ill be good for my first few builds. Maybe for larger more professional builds I do that I want to keep around and plan to wear a lot i'll use loctite.

Thats good to hear. As long as my build will be good for a while and doesn't screw up later or fall apart withing a few years Ill be good for my first few builds. Maybe for larger more professional builds I do that I want to keep around and plan to wear a lot i'll use loctite.
My chief build i had for about 3 years and wore quite a bit was hot glued, as long as youre not storing it in like a hot garage or something you should be ok
4ECEBE9B-92C9-4071-9408-0F8A48F3070C.jpeg

Mine is also about 3 years old and used hot glue to attach all the parts......and yes I've had to do some repairs here and there. The boosters put a lot of stress on the contact points and my shoes have a tendency to open/tear at the seam by the inside of my foot. All other builds I've switched over to contact cement. And there is nothing bad about the fuuuummmeessss.......Banana peel monkey snot!!!!......fine...im ok.......reallyyality.........blarg....

PHOTO-2019-11-18-15-01-52.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back