Halo 3 Marine armor (give any advice or tips you can please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danger Viking

This is technically my second build but my first build using foam. As the title says i'm posting this thread to kinda keep track of my progress, have others see it, to talk to random strangers about Halo, (Suck it Mom, not all strangers on the internet are trying to get in my pants). I also wanted to start this thread so people can help me on my road to improvement, by giving me advice, tips, criticism, and morale support. Who knows maybe I can also help someone with this thread.

I'm already pretty far in to the build, and currently on the paint job. I have a issue with if the coloring looks good and how I should do more detail bits, like are the areas that need to be dark, (the side parts on the lower legs pieces) are they dark enough, Does the center piece of the chest look good or should I change it. If anyone has any changes I should make or if I am doing good please, feel free to reply. I promise I wont smack ya like the hunters from CE if you say it looks bad or this or that need changing. If you want to see the paints i'm using please tell me and Ill post them. If you also have any advice how I should add weather or any other details to make this look cool. I've seen a lot of Marine cosplays that are just a base olive green color and maybe some other areas that have black or tan like the center chest piece, I want to add a little more spicy to this marine dish to make it stand out and to give myself practice for when I do some Mjolnir armor in the future so hit me with everything you got and Ill judge myself to see if I can do it or if it might be to hard. I also know that my paintbrush strokes show up in some areas and that my way of spraying plastidip isn't the best but i'm working on improving.

Also to he4thbar you know what those circles are, taking a page from your book for those areas.

The last photo is one of my reference photos. I'm also using a Marine reference folder from @thewardrobearmory on Instagram.
20200309_235249.jpg
20200309_235253.jpg
20200309_235303.jpg
20200309_235330.jpg
20200309_235402.jpg
20200309_235415.jpg
d1fc54bb3f19ca58e4bfb89a5d17e374_preview_featured.jpg

This is technically my second build but my first build using foam. As the title says i'm posting this thread to kinda keep track of my progress, have others see it, to talk to random strangers about Halo, (Suck it Mom, not all strangers on the internet are trying to get in my pants). I also wanted to start this thread so people can help me on my road to improvement, by giving me advice, tips, criticism, and morale support. Who knows maybe I can also help someone with this thread.

I'm already pretty far in to the build, and currently on the paint job. I have a issue with if the coloring looks good and how I should do more detail bits, like are the areas that need to be dark, (the side parts on the lower legs pieces) are they dark enough, Does the center piece of the chest look good or should I change it. If anyone has any changes I should make or if I am doing good please, feel free to reply. I promise I wont smack ya like the hunters from CE if you say it looks bad or this or that need changing. If you want to see the paints i'm using please tell me and Ill post them. If you also have any advice how I should add weather or any other details to make this look cool. I've seen a lot of Marine cosplays that are just a base olive green color and maybe some other areas that have black or tan like the center chest piece, I want to add a little more spicy to this marine dish to make it stand out and to give myself practice for when I do some Mjolnir armor in the future so hit me with everything you got and Ill judge myself to see if I can do it or if it might be to hard. I also know that my paintbrush strokes show up in some areas and that my way of spraying plastidip isn't the best but i'm working on improving.

Also to he4thbar you know what those circles are, taking a page from your book for those areas.

The last photo is one of my reference photos. I'm also using a Marine reference folder from @thewardrobearmory on Instagram.View attachment 286174View attachment 286175View attachment 286176View attachment 286177View attachment 286178View attachment 286179View attachment 286180
Doesn't look bad at all! Some of your circle hole details are a little rough. You can sharpen a brass tube and hole punch out the foam for cleaner cuts. There are also some minor seams in your bevels. A few good washes of black and brown, plus some silver battle damage should hide them pretty well. Otherwise this is looking really good!

The last photo is one of my reference photos. I'm also using a Marine reference folder from @thewardrobearmory on Instagram.View attachment 286174View attachment 286175View attachment 286176View attachment 286177View attachment 286178View attachment 286179View attachment 286180
First off, and most importantly, this looks AWESOME! For a first foam build this is fantastic! I have a few tips to help you with this and in your future Mjolnir build (if it's foam).

If you want to make it look dirtier, like it's seen combat, black chalkboard paint is good for black dirt spots, and any brown acrylic paint will be great for lighter dirt. In either case just be sure to water down the paint.
Also, on your next build, I notice some of your edges aren't the cleanest, like the foam was tearing in some spots instead of just cutting. You want to make sure you're using a super sharp knife the whole time when cutting, changing or sharpening the blade frequently. That'll also help you have cleaner seams like xXDashIVXx said. Looks GREAT though, good job!

Doesn't look bad at all! Some of your circle hole details are a little rough. You can sharpen a brass tube and hole punch out the foam for cleaner cuts. There are also some minor seams in your bevels. A few good washes of black and brown, plus some silver battle damage should hide them pretty well. Otherwise this is looking really good!
Thank you! Wouldn't also using a dremel work at getting the holes to be more round and smooth? Also where do you see the minor seams so I may focus on those areas.

First off, and most importantly, this looks AWESOME! For a first foam build this is fantastic! I have a few tips to help you with this and in your future Mjolnir build (if it's foam).

If you want to make it look dirtier, like it's seen combat, black chalkboard paint is good for black dirt spots, and any brown acrylic paint will be great for lighter dirt. In either case just be sure to water down the paint.
Also, on your next build, I notice some of your edges aren't the cleanest, like the foam was tearing in some spots instead of just cutting. You want to make sure you're using a super sharp knife the whole time when cutting, changing or sharpening the blade frequently. That'll also help you have cleaner seams like xXDashIVXx said. Looks GREAT though, good job!
Thank you! Worked very hard. It was about half way through that I was finally able to get new blades for my knife. Ill be buying this sharpener too most likely today, the Kershaw Ultra-Tek Blade Sharpener.

Black Chalkboard paint? Never heard of it. Do you mean to take the black and brown and basically like dry brush it on so it very faint or how exactly would I place those colors on?

This is truly some amazing foam building being your first build, only if I did it as good as yours the first time I began my first foam build the v.1 spartan commando what a shame for me but its a learning process but I do like how you found some round circles to imitate bolts or screws near the edges great crafting!

Thank you! Worked very hard. It was about half way through that I was finally able to get new blades for my knife. Ill be buying this sharpener too most likely today, the Kershaw Ultra-Tek Blade Sharpener.

Black Chalkboard paint? Never heard of it. Do you mean to take the black and brown and basically like dry brush it on so it very faint or how exactly would I place those colors on?

Chalkboard paint is a thing you can buy at hardware stores if you want to paint a wall and turn it into a chalkboard surface (Rust-Oleum Specialty 30 oz. Flat Black Chalkboard Paint-206540 - The Home Depot). You would take this paint or black/brown acrylic paint, water it down with regular tap water, then brush it onto your pieces and get it into all the corners and crevices. Then, you take a paper towel or cloth and try to wipe off as much as you can (kind of). It leaves paint in the hard to reach places and makes it look dirty, like it's been used in the field. The process is supposed to artificially mimic how your armor would naturally get dirty if used and how a soldier who needs to be protecting the planet wouldn't have time to clean their armor super well. Here is a good video by Punished Props explaining the general process and giving some tips

If you want to take it a step further and make it look like the armor is damaged and made of metal, you can try dry brushing silver on the raised edges/corners. There are some tutorials in the 405th tutorial index that explain how to do this as well, or here is another Punished Props video on it:

You don't have to do any of this if you don't want to, but lots of people (myself included) just personally like this look. You can choose to have it look fresh off the factory line clean and it'll still look fantastic and you'll still get lots of attention

This is truly some amazing foam building being your first build, only if I did it as good as yours the first time I began my first foam build the v.1 spartan commando what a shame for me but its a learning process but I do like how you found some round circles to imitate bolts or screws near the edges great crafting!
Thank you! I did plenty of research before hand so I understood what to do and not to do. I cant say Ive seen your v.1 but the current build I see as your profile picture is absoultely stunning and very well made. I hope that my mjolnir can look like yours currently! To tell you the truth the round circles are just goggley eyes that I glued on. It wok super well and is super cheap.

I would definitely recommend browsing through Spidermonkey60 's Marine "Speed Build,"especailly since that is Andrew from the Wardrobe Armory :)

I would definitely recommend browsing through Spidermonkey60 's Marine "Speed Build,"especailly since that is Andrew from the Wardrobe Armory :)
Oh I should probably update that thread with the finished shots huh?

This build is looking great Danger Viking! Glad to see someone else doing the thighpads as well!

Chalkboard paint is a thing you can buy at hardware stores if you want to paint a wall and turn it into a chalkboard surface (Rust-Oleum Specialty 30 oz. Flat Black Chalkboard Paint-206540 - The Home Depot). You would take this paint or black/brown acrylic paint, water it down with regular tap water, then brush it onto your pieces and get it into all the corners and crevices. Then, you take a paper towel or cloth and try to wipe off as much as you can (kind of). It leaves paint in the hard to reach places and makes it look dirty, like it's been used in the field. The process is supposed to artificially mimic how your armor would naturally get dirty if used and how a soldier who needs to be protecting the planet wouldn't have time to clean their armor super well. Here is a good video by Punished Props explaining the general process and giving some tips

If you want to take it a step further and make it look like the armor is damaged and made of metal, you can try dry brushing silver on the raised edges/corners. There are some tutorials in the 405th tutorial index that explain how to do this as well, or here is another Punished Props video on it:

You don't have to do any of this if you don't want to, but lots of people (myself included) just personally like this look. You can choose to have it look fresh off the factory line clean and it'll still look fantastic and you'll still get lots of attention
Hmmm the black and brown paint idea seem easy enough. Do you get it wet and cover the majority of the armor then wipe or just on edges? Ill defenitly give the video a watch and see what I learn. Thank you very much.

Im planning on doing the sliver brush to make it look like it is made of metal and damaged. I do very much like that look to. Plus it give more of a background to the armor itself, gives it more life the more damage it is. Something straight from the factory line doesnt give you a lot of detail and is somewhat plain. Plus to quote the clone wars, I'm no shiny to the halo Universe.

Oh I should probably update that thread with the finished shots huh?

This build is looking great Danger Viking! Glad to see someone else doing the thighpads as well!
Thank you! Your armor has been a big inspiration of mine and you have been a big help. Yea not a lot do the thighpads or the stomach armor area. I will take a look at this thread, thank you Spidermonkey60 and Cadet

I've been appointed and/or summoned to a tremendous task.

But I'm okay with it! Your armor build is going fantastic so far, especially for your first build as others have mentioned! I'm also happy to hear that my references are serving someone well!

Small suggestion: if you want to avoid having to make those circle entirely out of foam, you could actually use different sized googly eyes to replicate faux rivets on armor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back