Halo 3 Marine armor (give any advice or tips you can please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So due to Chinese flu im stuck inside and trying to figure out if the outline should be painted in black then with sliver to give it the scratch look and maybe for the lower areas taking someones suggestion and doing like a brown wash over it. What do y'all think?

So due to Chinese flu im stuck inside and trying to figure out if the outline should be painted in black then with sliver to give it the scratch look and maybe for the lower areas taking someones suggestion and doing like a brown wash over it. What do y'all think?
Looking great dude, keep it up! For the weathering, personally I put a layer of silver paint chipping on edges in different places where it would make sense over the piece, and then a blackwash overtop of it to help blend the chips better, but everyone does it differently. It's your project, so build and mould it to your heart's desire and in whichever way you'd like! Quick question, are you planning on sanding the helmet down or keeping it as is?

Looking great dude, keep it up! For the weathering, personally I put a layer of silver paint chipping on edges in different places where it would make sense over the piece, and then a blackwash overtop of it to help blend the chips better, but everyone does it differently. It's your project, so build and mould it to your heart's desire and in whichever way you'd like! Quick question, are you planning on sanding the helmet down or keeping it as is?
Thank you, I do like that Idea of black washing it. Ill do that with it, where would you put the chipping? I was thinking over like 90 percent of the armor. I do plan to sand the ever living hell out of it.

Thank you, I do like that Idea of black washing it. Ill do that with it, where would you put the chipping? I was thinking over like 90 percent of the armor. I do plan to sand the ever living hell out of it.
Chipping would usually go where it would make sense if the armor was real. (Higher areas -> edges, generally areas that have a higher chance of hitting/getting scratched by something that might take the paint off). The wash would be almost the opposite of the chipping; it's meant to highlight the lower area where dirt might get to, even after trying to clean it (corners n crevices) Here's an example of what I did on my Reach spartan that I built many years ago. While it isn't perfect, It's close to what you're saying with a lot of weathering. If you're having trouble with where to start, there are plenty of videos online that should help. Hope this helps! (Armor is the same color as helmet, lighting made em look different)
90116954_207538913992223_322131527976615936_n.jpg
90178273_142271897164175_2076963257117048832_n.jpg
90064235_2502881179965004_5737167539620806656_n.jpg

Chipping would usually go where it would make sense if the armor was real. (Higher areas -> edges, generally areas that have a higher chance of hitting/getting scratched by something that might take the paint off). The wash would be almost the opposite of the chipping; it's meant to highlight the lower area where dirt might get to, even after trying to clean it (corners n crevices) Here's an example of what I did on my Reach spartan that I built many years ago. While it isn't perfect, It's close to what you're saying with a lot of weathering. If you're having trouble with where to start, there are plenty of videos online that should help. Hope this helps! (Armor is the same color as helmet, lighting made em look different)
View attachment 287033View attachment 287034View attachment 287035
First off armor looks great. I was looking to do most if not all the edges for the chipping, especially lower down the leg, maybe get a little more chipping in the center for bigger pieces like chest, back and shoulders.

First off armor looks great. I was looking to do most if not all the edges for the chipping, especially lower down the leg, maybe get a little more chipping in the center for bigger pieces like chest, back and shoulders.
Thanks! Personally I'd recommend you don't overdo it when weathering, as you can always add more later. Too much can cheapen the look just as much as not enough. A nice balance is the best way to sell the look, but you can do it however you'd like. Best of luck to you, soldier. (y)

Thanks! Personally I'd recommend you don't overdo it when weathering, as you can always add more later. Too much can cheapen the look just as much as not enough. A nice balance is the best way to sell the look, but you can do it however you'd like. Best of luck to you, soldier. (y)
No problem and Thank you. How do you know whats to much or to little?

No problem and Thank you. How do you know whats to much or to little?
Honestly, it's hard to say what the right amounts are, given it depends on the armor and how weathered/damaged you want it to look. I recommend you take a look at weathering that other people have done on their suits for inspiration and then go from there.

Honestly, it's hard to say what the right amounts are, given it depends on the armor and how weathered/damaged you want it to look. I recommend you take a look at weathering that other people have done on their suits for inspiration and then go from there.
Alright, ill take a look around. Hopefully I'll find something. Last time I looked a lot of people like to do a factory new armor for marine armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back