Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadet

Executive Officer
Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S111
For a while, I have been pondering what to do for the fatigue/camo/BDU pants for the Halo 3 Marines, and I think I may have found an option.

Lots of people have suggested, and used, the current US Army ACU Digi-cam in either woodland or desert varieties. However, I don’t feel that ACUs match the in game look of the Marines very well. The forthcoming McFarlane Marine figure gives a good look at the camo pattern on the Marine’s legs:

Marinefigurehalo3.jpg

Here is another in game shot:

7516A76254C32D03DA00FF421E553DB6.jpg

In contrast, here is the desert ACU pattern:

http://www.captaindaves.com/shop/media/ACU-Desert.jpg

As you can see the camo pattern seems to be a two or three tone tan color scheme with more angular blotches for the pattern that just doesn’t seem to match the ACUs. I also did not think it really matched too well with the previous Army desert camo either. So, I was in a pickle, I wasn’t sure where to get a good corresponding camo pattern.

Then, I saw Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. One of the members of NEST was a British SAS soldier, and had on a pair of desert fatigues that featured a sort of angular, two tone camo pattern, so I searched for the current generation British Desert camo, and this is what I came up with:

http://www.armynnavy.com/catalog/catalog/images/british_army_surplus_desert_camo_t_shirt_300.gif

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/09/19/article-1057767-02B6101800000578-464_468x430.jpg (Guy on the left especially)

http://media.photobucket.com/image/british army camo/jeffsaylor22/10-British-Army_Lieutenant.jpg

What do you guys think, is the British Desert Camo a good fit for the Halo 3 Marine camo pattern?

*Random side note that was interesting to me*

The Halo Marines, at least in Halo: Combat Evolved where based super heavily on the Marines of Aliens, Sergeant Johnson is almost an exact copy of Sergeant Apone in how he loves to quip about his Marines Being Badass, smokes a Cigar, has a Moustache, and sounds similar. The Halo 1 Marines also had a similar “Cobbled together” look about their armor that the Aliens Marines did. Anyway, I digress, the Marines in Aliens used, if I remember this correctly, a variant of British camo from the time. As such, if this new British Camo pattern fits the Halo 3 Marines, it would be a another very interesting little connection…

I know that there is a specific pattern out there that is almost exactly like the one in the game but here are some different types

21en62f.jpg

I would pick no.088, or no.037

OR

how about the Swedish m/90

swedish_m90k_camouflage_lightweight_shirt.jpg

and a side by side comparison

sidebysidecomparison.jpg

That Swedish is a pretty nice match, although the British one would work too. I would probably use the Swedish if i could find it. ACU is a DECENT look, though not accurate it looks right for the 2552 look, and it is readily available in the US.

The British pattern is known as Desert DPM (Disruptive Pattern Material). To my eye Desert DPM is the best match for the in-game pattern. It appears that the WETA marine uses a pattern known as New Zealand DPM. The New Zealand DPM is a variant of the British Woodland DPM with more yellows in it. A suitable substitute for Desert DPM, which can be difficult to find in the States, might be Desert MARPAT, which is the pattern used by the USMC in the desert. Adam and Spase used that pattern in the airport photo shoot for the marines.

One incredibly close match is Crye. It's just got the one extra color in its scheme.

Side note: the picture you showed for the Desert ACU pattern is actually the Desert MARPAT. I've been out for a little bit, but I believe the ACUs only come in one color scheme. The woodland and desert variants that you are talking about would most likely both be MARPAT, or as UNSC_Leatherneck stated above, the Marine Digital Camoflage.

Malechei said:
One incredibly close match is Crye. It's just got the one extra color in its scheme.

Crye Multicam was created by Chuck Norris lol

I think I've seen someone wearing multicam with their marine gear before

Last edited by a moderator:
Malechei said:

Side note: the picture you showed for the Desert ACU pattern is actually the Desert MARPAT. I've been out for a little bit, but I believe the ACUs only come in one color scheme. The woodland and desert variants that you are talking about would most likely both be MARPAT, or as UNSC_Leatherneck stated above, the Marine Digital Camoflage.

I confirm the comment, that 'desert ACU' IS MARPAT Desert, I have a set so I'm rather familiar with it. :) The ACU does come in only one version, there are no desert or woodland variants.

I apologize for inadvertently labeling MARPAT Desert as "desert ACU pattern." My brother is the one who works designing body armor for the military, not me, I only knew that both were digital camo style patterns and as such erroneously thought they were related.

Either way, I don't feel that either MARPAT, ACUs, or any other modern "digital" style is a good match. The British Desert DPM or that Sweddish pattern do look to be good matches.

Cadet said:
I apologize for inadvertently labeling MARPAT Desert as "desert ACU pattern." My brother is the one who works designing body armor for the military, not me, I only knew that both were digital camo style patterns and as such erroneously thought they were related.

No need to apologize, man. Calling my cammies "ACU" only hurt my pride a little bit. I'll recover pretty quickly. I really do think that Crye Multicam is a great fit, but to each his own. I'm sure whatever you use, it will turn out great.

Multicam is indeed some cool stuff. It is a bit pricey, though. On a side note, ACU (Army Combat Uniform, the Army's pattern and uniform) is not the best stuff, camouflage-wise. Compared to stuff like MARPAT or MULTICAM it sticks out like a sore thumb. It is most effective when viewed through night vision goggles, or on this couch:

ACU_Couch.jpg

I actually suggested Desert DPM a long time ago, but there has been a lot of debate over whether to use it or not due to changing lighting conditions. For pattern, at least, it is a good match - the only real issue is the colouration. The Aliens Marines actually used a custom variant of Vietnam advisor "frog and leaf" pattern camo. As for the Marines in the Weta videos, they were using some variant of classic US woodland camouflage that has been heavily faded out (judging by on-set photos, the photos of that journalist in NZ and so on).

When Operation Chastity kicks off properly (and I will be using Desert DPM for one of the groups of Marines in the film - the other group, a Reservist unit, will be using the urban digital camouflage as used in Children of Men), I will likely do some lighting tests just to show whether or not it could be that specific camo that is used in Halo 3 - get some halogen lighting tests going on etc. and so forth.

Desert DPM is also a fantastically economical option - I am getting the sets of uniform, surplus, for £10 ($16) a set.

Peter Cooper said:
Desert DPM is also a fantastically economical option - I am getting the sets of uniform, surplus, for £10 ($16) a set.

Wow, can you point me in that direction?

Cadet said:
Wow, can you point me in that direction?

I'll be buying my sets of uniform in bulk direct from the Ministry of Defence's procurement and surplus arm, but even then, a set should cost no more than £30 ($45) before postage.

Peter Cooper said:
As for the Marines in the Weta videos, they were using some variant of classic US woodland camouflage that has been heavily faded out (judging by on-set photos, the photos of that journalist in NZ and so on).

As was mentioned before, they were using New Zealand DPM, which makes sense, as they are in New Zealand. Where you get NZDPM. Which is what they used.

helios said:
As was mentioned before, they were using New Zealand DPM, which makes sense, as they are in New Zealand. Where you get NZDPM. Which is what they used.

Conceded. All the faded uniforms worn by most of the Marines made it look woodland-like. I just saw a photo showing the medic's shirt, which is unfaded and clean, and that is indeed DPM.

here's one of the screen's that i took for reference on my build, as you can see the camo looks very much like faded woodlands style as peter cooper previously stated. i'm going to an army surplus store tomorrow to see if i can find a good set but i'll probably end up going to a hunting shop or a bass-pro shop (they have freaking everything imaginable apparently) if i find anything i'll post it.

I snagged a set of British Desert DPM pants yesterday for around $25 with shipping, so I will post pictures once I get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back