Halo 3 mark VI first time build - Foam

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpm49

I have decided for my first build i wanted to start doing something that doesn't require that much detail yet would still provide me with a nice suit (hopefully). I decided to search the forums and found demolition's h3 foam files for download and decided to start on that! I'm really new to this building aspect and any help would be appreciated!

Untitled_zps83d1c33d.png
[/URL][/IMG]
20131024_122549_zpsb4820031.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
The cutting is easy and i completely understand that part, however with putting these foam pieces together im having noob problems. I'm thinking about cutting the back sides so the foam can bend and match up. Because the cuts it told be to cut cant bend in all the ways it looks like in the picture. advice?

I didnt do foam on my first build and I went with pepakura. I also wanted to start with something less detailed for my first build, but after building about 4 pieces or so, I realized how easy it actually was and I now wish I would have just taken the time and patience to do something more detailed. I don't know about you, but for me money is tight so I have to be careful about not wasting supplies. And like I said I realized it was all easier than I thought and I feel like I have wasted half of my supplies just doing what I wanted the first time. Also, I dont have a lot of time to work on it everyday so by the time I get done with a piece (pep stage) I wish I would have used that time to do something that is more detailed. My build started as a Mark V build and is quickly turning into a Mark VI.

Using foam or pep is time consuming so my advice if you aren't too far in, would be to do what you want to do and if it is very detailed just be patient and take your time. It will definitely be worth it in the end.

But that is just my 2 cents. :) Good luck building!

Oh congrats and good luck on your builds id love to see them. I did however spend quite a bit of time going through the forums reading about foam, pep, and about all the methods. I have leftover foam flooring that can be used as well as shown below so basically all i need to spend is just on other supplies! I just need to figure out how to put these pieces together (but correctly and ln a way that looks good) and the rest will fall into place. planning on getthing this done so i can get a h4 build for halo 5's release! then after and if i can even pull this off ill go for a V build i love older MC. Thanks for the cheers. :cool
20131024_123454_zps6fb9564d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

xD sure is, leftovers from old basement floor. posting update on that forearm in an hour. looks doable!

The forearm was a total loss because i didnt scale it right and well lets say it was a test run. I scales the bicep to 229 inches (height) and well it seems really small. I measures where the bicep Armour should be placed on my body and i got around 9 inches. Lets hope this works pictures below of the paper, looks small..
20131025_193200_zps9ef169f1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That.... that..... that is a LOT of foam. If I had that much foam.... ahh well, let's just say I would have a lot more suits coming. Anyways, for the scaling, generally the models are scaled to chief's height, so you can use this:
1. Find your height in inches. Now add 4-6 inches to ensure it will fit.
2. Divide that by 80. (this is how tall master chief is, and what most halo pep files are scaled to.)
3. Multiply that answer by the current scale factor.
4. Put the answer in the scale box. It should work, but make sure the height seems right.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! you have helped so much, i've been sweating this part the most! other when i glue them together then ill be worried about gluing them and having it be in the right shape! thank you!!

If you have any other issues scaling, look up Halogoddess' "how to scale" thread. It's very helpful and tells you how to precisely scale each piece. Elusch99's scaling method works if the piece is scaled to master chiefs size, but some are not. Good luck on your build!

Thank you demo, I checked that out and measured that my forearm is 11 inches (includes extra 1in for overhang) and my bicep is 12 inches as well ill just find that in mm and replace that mm number into the height. thats what i did, thanks that worked a whole lot better than the other method :p

Hey guys, how would i cut this? it's like this in the file too. just wondering thanks!
20131026_125847_zps6045d53f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

What you do is go into pepakura open that part and use the join/disjoin face tool and cut the part in two.
I've been toying around with that tool and its not giving me anything decent, is there someone who talks about this on their forum?---- Scratch that I figured it out, now putting the bicep together! :eek 20131027_140931_zpsf51e802b.jpg

Attachments

• 20131027_140931_zpsf51e802b.jpg
    20131027_140931_zpsf51e802b.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 172
Well here is three pictures of how the right bicep looks like, I believe that i did a pretty good job considering its my first try (other than the failed attempt) It has a decent amount of room for strapping plus wiggle room for a atv outfit that i would like to get (hopefully >100bucks) So recap, Bicep is all together, touch-ups required but now onto the forearm once again (scaled correctly this time!)

20131027_190513_zpsc0fda7e4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20131027_190526_zps9028d807.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20131027_190553_zpsf0e5ee43.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thr forearm came out bulky but i cut some parts out. it looks better (Last one), however pepakura sounds SOOO much easier than messing around with foam and seems faster/cleaner/better. xD Trying here.

20131028_221150_zps79335019.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20131028_221221_zps3129ad3a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20131028_224800_zps336c1190.jpg

Attachments

• 20131028_224800_zps336c1190.jpg
    20131028_224800_zps336c1190.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 181
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back