Halo 3 Recon Helmet split for smaller printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoBigBlue

Hello there I am a new Recruit here!
Hope all is well on this Friday eve! I am looking at printing my first helmet as you can see by the title. I was thinking Halo 3 Recon helmet provided on here my question is there a good way to split these files to fit it on an Ender 3 or Elegoo Neptune 3. I have a few printers to run this on was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions or even better a split file. Thanks for the help and thank you for having me on here it seems like a good place to be!

Thanks again

Hello there new friend! Welcome to the 405th!

I personally have a lot of luck with meshmixer. It's a free program by autodesk and does the job quite well. LINK

Just import any STL, go to edit>plane cut and adjust where you want to cut. Make sure you keep both halves. Then go to edit>separate shells to separate the pieces. export them as individual stl files. I always open them in 3D builder (comes preinstalled on windows, if not, LINK) to make sure they're manifold. If they are not manifold, 3D builder gives you a pop-up and prompts you to auto-repair. It usually does a pretty good job if there are any errors. From there, you can use any slicer to 3D print your pieces.

If you need more info, there's lots of videos on YT. Just search "How to cut STL in meshmixer" and you should be able to find lots of stuff.

Hello there new friend! Welcome to the 405th!

I personally have a lot of luck with meshmixer. It's a free program by autodesk and does the job quite well. LINK

Just import any STL, go to edit>plane cut and adjust where you want to cut. Make sure you keep both halves. Then go to edit>separate shells to separate the pieces. export them as individual stl files. I always open them in 3D builder (comes preinstalled on windows, if not, LINK) to make sure they're manifold. If they are not manifold, 3D builder gives you a pop-up and prompts you to auto-repair. It usually does a pretty good job if there are any errors. From there, you can use any slicer to 3D print your pieces.

If you need more info, there's lots of videos on YT. Just search "How to cut STL in meshmixer" and you should be able to find lots of stuff.
Thank you I actually used 3D Builder to cut it part.. I really hope I sized it right lol

Ah yes. It has actually just come to my attention that you can do the cutting in 3D builder itself without the need for meshmixer. I'm trying it now for the first time lol

Ah yes. It has actually just come to my attention that you can do the cutting in 3D builder itself without the need for meshmixer. I'm trying it now for the first time lol
really seems to be a pretty nice program!

im having trouble with sizing now. when i sized 3d builder and put it in my slicer its so big it wont even fit on screen lol

I always leave the model at the default scale when cutting it up and only scale it in the slicer.

Hello there I am a new Recruit here!
Hope all is well on this Friday eve! I am looking at printing my first helmet as you can see by the title. I was thinking Halo 3 Recon helmet provided on here my question is there a good way to split these files to fit it on an Ender 3 or Elegoo Neptune 3. I have a few printers to run this on was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions or even better a split file. Thanks for the help and thank you for having me on here it seems like a good place to be!

Thanks again
Welcome to the 405th! I hope I'm not too late to help you out, I personally use blender to slice models. I also made a video tutorial on how to do it a while back!

I hope that helps you out, if you have any question just let me know and I can't wait to see your helmet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back