halo 3 recon NOW FULL SUIT! wip by Spartansonny

Status
Not open for further replies.
the helmet is only half done with the paint job. still have a couple coats left to do and than some blackwashing before its done. Thanks guys for the comments.

@tiger the silver looked cool and i thought of it for a second but than a whole suit like that.... I would have looked like the tin man from oz in the year 2300 or something lol. Anyone got some oil? i need my elbows greased lol... okay okay, enough corny jokes. i did no pepping on the torso tonight, been kinda lazy about it lol. just been busy looking at paint dry, literally. I look and see how I want the paint job to come out, I imagine it done and it looks good let me tell you.

@tiger the silver looked cool and i thought of it for a second but than a whole suit like that.... I would have looked like the tin man from oz in the year 2300 or something lol. Anyone got some oil? i need my elbows greased lol... okay okay, enough corny jokes.

But corny jokes are my all time favorite...lol. As far as the silver suit goes i was actually looking at it from the "hey you could look like silver surfer's older brother" viewpoint. But the 2300 tin man works too. :)

Great work! I dig this helmet design.

Thanks Aden! This is the only recon design i have really liked. something not so bleh like the standard recon looks to me.

But corny jokes are my all time favorite...lol. As far as the silver suit goes i was actually looking at it from the "hey you could look like silver surfer's older brother" viewpoint. But the 2300 tin man works too. :)

lol, i will save the best as they come than tiger. Silver surfers older brother.... i need to now find a way to make frozen ice appear from my suit and surf.... I don't know man, I don't think i could pull it off. maybe his gun weilding, rocket launching mechanical maniac side kick. yeah i could do that. I like blowing stuff up :eek

lol, i will save the best as they come than tiger. Silver surfers older brother.... i need to now find a way to make frozen ice appear from my suit and surf.... I don't know man, I don't think i could pull it off. maybe his gun weilding, rocket launching mechanical maniac side kick. yeah i could do that. I like blowing stuff up :eek

I can go along with that. I definatly like that idea better. And who doesnt like to blow stuff up...lol

so tiger and i talked last night about this and i am gonna stick to it.... i was in the middle of battle and didn't want my spartan buddy to take any damage or scratch there paint job so I took the blast and got slammed with grenade shrapnel (which now makes me look like a dalmation)
221874_567252133302637_149146366_n.jpg

i think next round i just stick with a normal paint job and weather it, no damage. give me your honest opinions. the paint job isnt done yet. i have to add the blue strip down the center and grunge it up a bit. if I hate it completely after that i will spend another month sanding and repainting if it looks awful.

I like the big scratch down the top panel right above the visor. Maybe cut into the scratches a little to give the damage some depth?

Sonny (sorry if this comes off mean but im trying to be helpful and not mean :) )I felt that some quick passes with different grits of sand paper might make the shrapnel scratches look more realistic also ur white paint looks to "shiny" and new to have been recently blown up. Needs to be dirty, and grimmey. This might be a stupid idea and I would never do this but, take mud on a paint brush and splatter ur helm and then Smudge the dirt in. u might just try this (not with drit, but the technique) when u use the black paint for weathering. Just some helpful criticism :) u got this man ur soo close :) can't wait to see this thing done

Sonny (sorry if this comes off mean but im trying to be helpful and not mean :) )I felt that some quick passes with different grits of sand paper might make the shrapnel scratches look more realistic also ur white paint looks to "shiny" and new to have been recently blown up. Needs to be dirty, and grimmey. This might be a stupid idea and I would never do this but, take mud on a paint brush and splatter ur helm and then Smudge the dirt in. u might just try this (not with drit, but the technique) when u use the black paint for weathering. Just some helpful criticism :) u got this man ur soo close :) can't wait to see this thing done

TS i will be washing this with some grimey acrylic paints to get rid of that clean white look. the paint job isn't done yet i am just not sure how it looks, honestly everything i do i feel as though it isn't of the highest quality and I am never happy with it lol

As always, even if it looks a little weird right now, this looks great and i know it has a lot of potential! Carry on Spartan, carry on.

thanks tiger.

So after a little chat with tigersgrace, i have come to the conclusion that this looks horrible. i questioned it but needed another honest opinion. so beginning tomorrow i shall put the torso on hold and start sanding this down smooth again and with round 2 i will just be weathering it. hi ho hi ho, its off to sanding again i go!

thanks tiger.

So after a little chat with tigersgrace, i have come to the conclusion that this looks horrible. i questioned it but needed another honest opinion. so beginning tomorrow i shall put the torso on hold and start sanding this down smooth again and with round 2 i will just be weathering it. hi ho hi ho, its off to sanding again i go!

Just dont forget to wear your mask for safety. Also, I just though of an awesome joke about the "chipped" paintjob. It looks like Cruella Devil killed a puppy on a spartan....lol. No offence intended.

Just dont forget to wear your mask for safety. Also, I just though of an awesome joke about the "chipped" paintjob. It looks like Cruella Devil killed a puppy on a spartan....lol. No offence intended.

Dude, now that you mention that. I do have a mean weird looking lady walk around the neighborhood all the time. She just might have! Gonna have to have a talk with her now

One thing to keep in mind is where the trajectory of stuff will actually hit. If it was a blast right before the face, chips and marks and such would be collected mostly in the front, and any on the sides would be grazing sort of scrapes as the shrapnel flicked past. The back of the helmet wouldn't see any of this.

If you want to keep the bomb idea, I say make the 'impact point' slightly to the right or left. Build out from there where the helmet will be mostly silver for a patch, and it webs or sparks out away from the impact areas. Then you can scuff up the visor too around this side, which is something you don’t see often and can make the helmet look tarnished further. BUT if you use this idea keep in mind you will want to copy it on the rest of the armor all the way down, less the continuity is off.

If you want general all around tarnish, keep in mind where it would be hit if it were really used in battle. If you fall, it’s the raised areas that will bite the dust so to speak. So the uppermost corners, and the topmost curves of the dome that could get scraped up. Thin crack lines of chips on the edges, and maybe a couple ((but not many)) flavor specks from gunfire.

Just my ideas and all. Getting a theme though and running with it for the entire costume is a must in my opinion :3

thanks Zercon :) wee miss you around here! I'm getting rid of the whole chipped look. gonna just weather it and sand through some of the corners and add some scratches. the write sprayed kinda wonky anyways so it does need to be smoothed again. this was definitely a lesson learned lol. its my first time =P

You went through a lot of trouble to get everything so smooth; I'm glad to hear you're going back to a paint job that shows that off rather than making it look beaten to hell and back. Then again I've always favored the suits that look used but not damaged... Personal preference, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the new paint job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back