Halo 3 Sniper Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
FalseKnightmare said:
if this is obvious, then im sorry but how do you make the pieces?

With a scroll saw, sander, drill press, files, razor knife, minature chissel, and sand paper. Those are my main tools.
Plus 20 years of working in wood.

Thanks everyone for the compliments, but if the powers that be decide to move it to Elite then that would be great.
If they don't I still happy. I get to post my favorite things I like to do on this great site.

Here is a small update.
Sniper.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
LeeKegan said:
With a scroll saw, sander, drill press, files, razor knife, minature chissel, and sand paper. Those are my main tools.
Plus 20 years of working in wood.

Thanks everyone for the compliments, but if the powers that be decide to move it to Elite then that would be great.
If they don't I still happy. I get to post my favorite things I like to do on this great site.

Here is a small update.

Wow no leath ??? i would this with the pices you made so percise i would think you would have a leath lol

Is it possible that the quality of your work actually keeps getting better Lee? Fantastic looking so far.

Just a note on the honeycombed front lense cover- they're actually for preventing light reflecting off the lense and giving away the sniper's position more so than glare reduction which I think is taken care of by coatings on the the lense itself.

Here's a couple if anyone's interested-

http://www.opticsplanet.net/trijicon-ta57-...cog-scopes.html

http://www.binoculars.com/rifle-scopes/rif...illflashard.cfm

Keeping on that subject I'm dissappointed that you're opting to make it out of paper rather than wood Lee. :p

juliet76 said:
Is it possible that the quality of your work actually keeps getting better Lee? Fantastic looking so far.

Just a note on the honeycombed front lense cover- they're actually for preventing light reflecting off the lense and giving away the sniper's position more so than glare reduction which I think is taken care of by coatings on the the lense itself.

[...]

Keeping on that subject I'm dissappointed that you're opting to make it out of paper rather than wood Lee. :p

Actually, it was spaero2011 that demonstrated making the honeycombed lens cover out of paper, not Lee. As was mentioned on the last page, he does have some of the same material that Loess pictured in one of his posts. So, most likely he will use that material for the scope, not a paper facsimile.

As for those most recent updates, Lee... I can't believe how quickly you've put this beast together, buddy. The details are amazing, and appear to be dead-on to what I drew in the schematics I gave you (I like how you took those pics with my schematics right there to show that). Talk about keeping to precise standards! I imagine it won't be long now until we get to see the finished product, yes? :D

marioknight92 said:
Wow no leath ??? i would this with the pices you made so percise i would think you would have a leath lol

I would love to have a lathe. It would making certain parts a lot easier.

juliet76 said:

Here's a couple if anyone's interested-

http://www.opticsplanet.net/trijicon-ta57-...cog-scopes.html

http://www.binoculars.com/rifle-scopes/rif...illflashard.cfm

SPARTAN II is correct. I'm not good at making things out of paper. If anything I would have made it out of wood, but I will be using the plastic peice up front for the lense.

im going to start an angry mob with pitchforks and run you out of this town Lee... did you ever stop and think about what you are doing to the rest of us? you are making us all look bad...its not right.

on a serious note... MY GOD MAN!!! i just saw the last few updates and i think im going to cry... its just so amazing how clean your work is... hopefully in 20+ years from now i will have the skill you posses... keep it up, cant wait to see this finished.

HES A WITCH!!!
"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

A mind-boggling thought (in a good way, of course) just occured to me... if we all think Lee's wood-working skills are amazing already, if he did have a lathe to mill out some of these parts, just imagine how much more impressive his builds would be? :eek: lol

SPARTAN II said:
A mind-boggling thought (in a good way, of course) just occured to me... if we all think Lee's wood-working skills are amazing already, if he did have a lathe to mill out some of these parts, just imagine how much more impressive his builds would be? :eek: lol

OMG Good idea Fundraiser time:) every one give your money to lee.

SPARTAN II said:
juliet76 said:

Actually, it was spaero2011 that demonstrated making the honeycombed lens cover out of paper, not Lee. As was mentioned on the last page, he does have some of the same material that Loess pictured in one of his posts. So, most likely he will use that material for the scope, not a paper facsimile.

D'OH! And I told myself when I started to make sure to read everything and not make such noobish mistakes. Sorry. :oops:

Lee, if you don't have a lathe how did you do the section where the barrel meets the reciever? It's so accurate and consistent I was sure you must have turned it on a lathe.

marioknight92 said:
OMG Good idea Fundraiser time:) every one give your money to lee.

You could be on to something there. ;)

juliet76 said:
Lee, if you don't have a lathe how did you do the section where the barrel meets the reciever? It's so accurate and consistent I was sure you must have turned it on a lathe.

I centered and drilled a hole in a piece of 2" round stock. Then I marked so far back on where I wanted the angle to start and then I sanded the angle down to the edge of the hole I had drilled. It was a pain in the ass!

Man...you got the wood thin!!
It just so weird looking at your progress. What i mean by that it everything is great, it's detailed, when when you think about it...it's just simple parts that come together great!
Great Work!! Keep it up!

ive been keeping an eye on this thread and i am amazed at how much work you get done in such a short time. i am truly jealous and impressed ;)

LeeKegan said:
I centered and drilled a hole in a piece of 2" round stock. Then I marked so far back on where I wanted the angle to start and then I sanded the angle down to the edge of the hole I had drilled. It was a pain in the ass!

Having done a bit of wood work myself (nowhere near as much as someone like Lee though I'd like to point out), I've had a keen interest in Lee's work since I first noticed it's quality while I was lurking around here. The quality is exceptional under normal circumstances, but now that I'm finding out what tools he's working with, and been that I have an idea how long such things must take him, I have to say that your work Lee is amazing. :not worthy:

Like this-

LeeKegan said:
Plus 20 years of working in wood...

Here is a small update.
Sniper.jpg

I don't see a mention of a router there at all Lee. Does this mean that you marked all the fluting (grooves) on the barrel with your hobby knife and then chiseled out the grooves? :eek:

juliet76 said:
I don't see a mention of a router there at all Lee. Does this mean that you marked all the fluting (grooves) on the barrel with your hobby knife and then chiseled out the grooves? :eek:

looks like it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back