Halo 4 117 - First WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
This build is looking great! As for your flipping problem, go into Pepakura Designer. Move that mouse over to the 2D Menu, and click Invert Pattern. Keep it up!

@xxxxmonsterxxxx: the foam is just "expanding foam" form homebase (uk). £6 a can and if you apply it evenly its very dense.

@odst479: thanks for the kind words, and the pepakura help. Should be able to get the other arm done today now. :D

Hope you don't my asking but I have another question about the expanding foam:

Do you apply resin to the outside of the pep first and then spray inside? Because in my mind spraying first would just result in severe warping, but naturally I wouldn't know for sure.

Also, did you cover the visor and neck holes with cardboard or something first? If this method works well for you I may well have a go at it and it might work neater if you put a fitted piece of cardboard over each opening and sprayed the foam through a small hole to keep things contained. Thanks :)

yeah so resin and fiberglass (or equivalent) like normal. The particular foam i used is cured by water. let the resin dry, then spray/spritz the area with a bit of water. Then simply hold the nozzle flat to the surface and spray. It keeps expanding for like 8hrs, so i thought i had a perfect amount down, but it ended up being too much.

The visor was pepped in, but the neck hole was open, which made for easy access to the peak cavitys for filling.

I'd have a go at filling through a small hole, as chances are you can get it done nice and quick that way. the only thing i'd say, is i think that when you are "blind" to the volume coming out of the can, you run the chance of over filling and cracking your pieces.

Hope this helps!

Edit: thinking about it now, you may be able to skip the fiberglass stage using this. i'm not sure how strong it will be, but i may give it a go for like a shoulder piece.

Hey everyone.

A week has passed since my last update, and in that time i have completed all of the pep work.

Most of it is to a decent standard, and only a couple of pieces needed some slight modifications to ensure a good fit.

405th___full_halo_4_pep_1_by_rabinosa-d59ya7y.jpg

405th___full_halo_4_pep_2_by_rabinosa-d59yag1.jpg

405th___full_halo_4_pep_3_by_rabinosa-d59yakv.jpg

Tomorrow i will begin resin/strengthening the pieces and continuing the work i started on the helmet.

2am now and time for a solid rest.

peace out 405th.x

haha. yeah the balloons were my fiances idea. brilliant for retaining shape.

So today was spent giving all of my pep the resin treatment, then a little strengthening work and some sanding on the helmet. i think the strengthening is my least favorite part of the process.

Visuals:

405th___pep_resin_by_rabinosa-d5a1fqm.jpg

405th_pep_resin_2_by_rabinosa-d5a1fxv.jpg

405th___helmet_progression_by_rabinosa-d5a1g7g.jpg

I forgot to get a photo of the chest. ill rustle one up tomorrow.

peace.x

Balloons... genius. Will try that on my next pieces.

I never supported my helmet and this might have saved the shape. Next time.

Hey guys & gals. So this week has been very slow as me and my fiance have been looking for a new place to live. Found one now though, so i have a few weeks to get crackin before we move.

anyway, in the evenings i have been re-pepping the helmet. the first, while ok was still not good enough.

boy am i glad i re pepped this one:

405th___halo_4_helmet_re_pep_angle_3_by_rabinosa-d5azfs2.jpg

405th___halo_4_helmet_re_pep_1_by_rabinosa-d5azf8d.jpg

405th___halo_4_helmet_re_pep_4_by_rabinosa-d5azfx9.jpg

405th___halo_4_re_pep_by_rabinosa-d5azfjs.jpg

much happier me. :D

anyway, since i started this some new files have started appearing and i will be replacing some parts of the pep i have done with the more detailed new pieces that are about.

starting with the new bicep part made by L3X BLU3R1V3R.

Till next time.

peace.x

The second helmet is much better than the first one!
I dont mean to say that the first one was bad but i like the second one better.

Thanks for the kind words.

The first helmet was bad. Im more than happy to admit it. haha

just very glad that i am replacing it with a much better one.

so i spent the day pepping the new bicep parts. loving the detail in these pieces:

405th___new_bicep_pep_by_rabinosa-d5b45tx.jpg

till next time.x

Update: currently away on holiday, and recieved a call saying that a freak storm hit our house/my makeshift workspace and "destroyed everything". Hopefully this is an over exaggeration (as my family tends to do) but i wont know the extent of the damage till i return.

Peace.x

Update: currently away on holiday, and recieved a call saying that a freak storm hit our house/my makeshift workspace and "destroyed everything". Hopefully this is an over exaggeration (as my family tends to do) but i wont know the extent of the damage till i return.

Peace.x
Oh my gosh. Hate to hear something like that. Only the people who don't deserve ever have it happen to them.

Your pep looks clean hopefully the resin and bonds stage goes smoothly for you. Sorry to here about the house but hopefully it is not as serious as it sounds

Hey every one, so i just got home and my first assumption was correct, with my family totally over exaggerating the extent of the damage. so the first helmet that i had scrapped anyway was ruined (no biggie). however, both of the shoulder parts and one of the thigh pieces are also gone. totally crushed. this is all, and while a bit upsetting, not detremental.

i cant tell you how happy i am that my helmet is fine as I resined it the day we left, and was still drying in the tent when the storm went down:

resin prep with balloons (now a standard I will adopt, as it is waaay useful)

405th___helm_v2_resin_prep_by_rabinosa-d5bsk84.jpg

resined helmet:

405th___helm_v2_post_resin_by_rabinosa-d5bskd9.jpg

i will get some photos of the damage tomorrow, and hopefully start hardening some more stuff. for now, im going to go start re-pepping the bits that were destroyed, and will continue as planned.

thanks for the kind words all.

till next time.x

edit: I want to have a go at rondo'ing my helmet, but have been reading a lot of conflicting advice about mixing ratio's and hardener(s). If someone could reccommend a filler/resin ratio that would enable me to "paint" it on the inside of my helmet using a brush, that would be awsome.
x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back