Halo 5: Guardians Hellcat Armor Build - 3D printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowbreakre

Update 2/08/2021: Armor done! here's the link:

So since I'm starved for filament right now, to keep myself busy I started work on my conversion of the Hellcat armor which is one of my favorites in Halo 5. I through it would be cool if i wont through if I shared my workflow and process. Similar to the Mark IV armor I an using a rip of the in game mesh, this time provided by "Jeffw773", and converting it into a Hi-Res mesh suitable for 3D printing and cosplay. This armor is pretty simple in design however it does have its quirks and has some interesting design elements. Right now I'm just breaking down the game mesh to see what I need to remodel and how I'm going to break it down for printing and construction.
preview.jpg

To start I import the model into Maya and sent my workspace scale to inches, then I scaled to 5'10". Since the model doesn't have a head I removed 6" bring it down down to 64" from the neck to account. Next I apply the texture to see the detail and then chop the model in half.
cas.jpg

Fist thing I noticed was that the thigh was clipping and looked really tight. So I slightly scaled it up along the X and Z axis. There is a lot of padding that is exposed as part of the thigh plate, normally I would remove this but in this case since it is a big part of the piece, I'm leaving it and will sculpt texture on it later. Then I when look at the back, it's broken up in a bunch of pieces with tiny separated details. I group them up to be combined later and get rid if anything that's to hidden or small to really matter. Some of these piece will need to be remodeled due to just bad geometry.
thigh.jpg

broken.jpg

The side was just one big piece that makes up both the front and back. This will need to be separated and will merge some of the pieces with the front and back plating. The shoulder has an interesting quirk as this doesn't actually touch the shoulder by design. I got two ideas to deal with that. One is to leave it as is and then you can just put a shoulder strap that connects the front and back to preserve the aesthetic. Second, model a new piece that will rest against the shoulder and make it more modular for other armor.
Screenshot 2021-01-27 085023.png

InkedScreenshot 2021-01-27 084934_LI.jpg

One thing I'm thinking about is the big lights on the front and back. For the more electrically inclined I want to make separate covers that can be printed with like a transparent filament. should someone want to add lights with out cutting a big hold into these areas.

lights.jpg

That's all I've got so far, Let me know if you guys have any ideas that I can incorporate or that would simplify anything.

Last edited:
So a lot has happened over the weekend. There was an accident and my grandmother died. I drove 2000 miles, a little over 30 hours in the last 3 days. I plan on taking some time off away from working on armors and such, I still plan on making more models just not right. in addition to the emotional strain, the trip hit me pretty big financially. I was already scraping by to begin with so I need time to figure out how I'm going to deal with that. I will Finish up the Hellcat armor and upload it this week since I'm already so close to being done, but it may be a while before I work on another set.

So a lot has happened over the weekend. There was an accident and my grandmother died. I drove 2000 miles, a little over 30 hours in the last 3 days. I plan on taking some time off away from working on armors and such, I still plan on making more models just not right. in addition to the emotional strain, the trip hit me pretty big financially. I was already scraping by to begin with so I need time to figure out how I'm going to deal with that. I will Finish up the Hellcat armor and upload it this week since I'm already so close to being done, but it may be a while before I work on another set.
If you ever need some nerds to talk with to get your mind off things or an ear to listen to you work through some things there's always a bunch of us here for you. Take care.

It been a hard few weeks But I have Finished the Helllcat Armor. I am pleased with how it turned out, I think the piece I like the most is the Thigh. the Back Module is detachable, I'm contemplating making a hollowed version with a removeable covers so you can put things in or store electronics if you decide to put lights in the suit. But I'm not entirely committed to doing that right now even if it would be relatively simple

Armor is scaled for 5'10" and modeled for the lefts side so mirror right.

I opted not to make the helmet as its design doesn't have a practical way for anyone to even see out of it, so I couldn't "see" the point. Ha!

Zip contains full organized files, as well as some documentation for tips and other information.

Turn_around.jpg

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

Hand.jpg

Legs.jpg

Last edited:
Dude, that`s so slick!!! Appreciate the hard work.
That`s such an amazing contribution to the 405th...
If you feel any better would you consider doing Helioskrill maybe? One can only hope....
Greetings,

Reclaimer
Thanks so much!. I'll have to put some thought into it. I've seen the model for It's basically the spartan version of the arbiter's armor. It would "tricky" to say the least, it has a few "quirks". It would be by far more challenging than my previous ones, with a lot more detail and more difficult to breakdown in to manageable pieces for printing. Right now though I taking things a bit easy, working on smaller projects. I got some things I have to evaluate. I will work on more armors just not sure when at this time. But I will definitely keep it on the list. If any thing I might at least do the helmet because it is a cool helmet.

Thought so much myself. This is a tricky one indeed. I did some attempts at parts of this and i am nowhere near a point where i can honestly say i am satisfied with the outcome. I am not experienced with subdivision high polycount modeling, most of my work is done with nurbs^^
The Helmet alone would be awesome!

It been a hard few weeks But I have Finished the Helllcat Armor. I am pleased with how it turned out, I think the piece I like the most is the Thigh. the Back Module is detachable, I'm contemplating making a hollowed version with a removeable covers so you can put things in or store electronics if you decide to put lights in the suit. But I'm not entirely committed to doing that right now even if it would be relatively simple

Armor is scaled for 5'10" and modeled for the lefts side so mirror right.

I opted not to make the helmet as its design doesn't have a practical way for anyone to even see out of it, so I couldn't "see" the point. Ha!

Zip contains full organized files, as well as some documentation for tips and other information.

View attachment 302498
View attachment 302495
View attachment 302494
View attachment 302496
View attachment 302497
Nice work. This is one of my son and I's favorite armor sets. If I ever do another armor build this would be it. Love it! With the smooth lines it would be a fun build and probably less work intensive.

Last edited:
Now that I have been able to get filament again and a new printer I decided to start printing the Hellcat. I was originally going to Start with the Mark IV but I already know someone who's printing it and want to let them finish.

Starting on the back then will move to the front and legs to knock the bigger pieces out of the way first. So far the back is about half way done. I'll be cleaning and sanding the pieces as I go. Haven't decided on what helmet I'm going to go with. I'm thinking Copperhead since that's the next one I'm working on but I might go with Athlon or Anubis.
165593247_483877603022290_5656520197618883147_n.jpg

Now that I have been able to get filament again and a new printer I decided to start printing the Hellcat. I was originally going to Start with the Mark IV but I already know someone who's printing it and want to let them finish.

Starting on the back then will move to the front and legs to knock the bigger pieces out of the way first. So far the back is about half way done. I'll be cleaning and sanding the pieces as I go. Haven't decided on what helmet I'm going to go with. I'm thinking Copperhead since that's the next one I'm working on but I might go with Athlon or Anubis.
View attachment 304687
I really like how the model looks, and I cant wait to see it fully printed and built, it's going to look so awesome! How long do you expect it to take you? I know nothing of 3D printing

Update 04/07/2021: Fixed freaky issue with "Pauldron" causing slicers to encase the model in supports regardless of settings. You can just downloads the specific part rather than redownloading the whole zip file.

Have all main pieces of the torso printed and the first sanding pass done. I have the arms printing now while I'm still waiting for the new base and bed for my printer. Once i have that i can start on the legs since right now I can only print on one side of the bed.
To get the main chest plate to fit on my printer I cut it vertically in halve, but even with an epoxy and glue it still wasn't strong enough and kept splitting whenever it was bent. I created a simple bracket to reinforce this area. I've gone ahead and attached it to this posts in case anyone wants it. Don't forget if you scaled the chest plat you'll need to scale this as well.

170312846_6042376795787923_1677158093244776067_n.jpg

169980085_513077463184999_814786086482912573_n.jpg

Attachments

• bracket.stl
    133.9 KB · Views: 159
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back