Halo 5 lovers support group

Status
Not open for further replies.

mumgoot

I am a relative newcomer to the Halo fandom. From a young age, I had known of Halo and it looked so darn cool. Being a Lego kid, I was particularly interested in the exquisitely detailed figures from Megabloks.

I knew next to nothing about the story, and I didn't have an Xbox. T and M-rated games were still uncharted territory for me in those days, and so I thought I probably wouldn't play the games.

But fast-forward several years, and one day while discussing with my mom about how our home computer can just barely run Star Wars Battlefront, she asked me "Why not an Xbox or something like that?" when I looked it up, I was pleasantly surprised that a new console would only run me in the ballpark of $200. I compared it with the PS4, but went with the Xbox. I liked the brand appeal better, it was slightly cheaper, and I figured I might finally be able to try Halo.

So one day I saw Halo 5:Guardians on game pass. I asked if I could try it, I did, and I fell in love. I bought it soon after. I heard that many people hated this game. The complaints sounded absurd to me. What's not to love? The cutscenes were rendered beautifully, the gameplay was sharp and dynamic, and the assassinations were amazing.

And then I tried the Master Chief Collection. I was dumbfounded. Why in heck does Halo 4 seem like it was made 20 years ago?
When I tried Combat Evolved, I felt like I was playing a game from the ancient age of video games. Halo 3 doesn't have sprint? 4 has no ADS? Assassinations didn't come in until Reach? I thought Halo 3: ODST had graphics like Halo 4. I thought Halo 4 would have had graphics like Halo 5.

I realized now what I had been missing. The simple, and addictingly fun gameplay of the first Halo games was completely lost with Halo 5. Now I understood. Classic Halo is better Halo. The best Halo.

But I do not hate Halo 5. The story is poor, the prometheans are boring and stupid, the art direction isn't as good as the originals, and abilities like charge and ground pound are kind of silly.

But the graphics are good, it is reasonably fun, and it is the game that introduced me to the fandom.

I invite all other who share my sentiments to come and find shelter here in the midst of flame wars, dissension, and hate. Here you are accepted. Here you are loved.

(This whole post is tongue-in-cheek, but I mean it, minus the fluff-puff).

(and yeah, maybe 343i is a money-grubbing bureaucracy, but I feel like they are trying to make amends via Halo:Infinite)

Stay Glassy everyone!

(and yeah, maybe 343i is a money-grubbing bureaucracy, but I feel like they are trying to make amends via Halo:Infinite)

And actually even that is a bit unfair. Even if they took the franchise in a different direction than many of us would have liked, I think they do really care for the game. Having the fate of Halo in your hands must be a tremendous responsibility.

I am a relative newcomer to the Halo fandom. From a young age, I had known of Halo and it looked so darn cool. Being a Lego kid, I was particularly interested in the exquisitely detailed figures from Megabloks.
Hey that's how I got into it as well!
Still occasionally get the sets if they are good.

The worst Halo is still better then %90 of other games out there. I agree 5 inst the best but in my opinion all the halo games are great. Even at the time of their releases all of them had some sort of merit or thing to trash about them. For me the one i always remember is people complaining about ODST when it was first announced people were thinking it was going to be a DLC for Halo 3 and when it turned out to be its own game there were people that werent to thrilled.

The worst Halo is still better then %90 of other games out there. I agree 5 inst the best but in my opinion all the halo games are great. Even at the time of their releases all of them had some sort of merit or thing to trash about them. For me the one i always remember is people complaining about ODST when it was first announced people were thinking it was going to be a DLC for Halo 3 and when it turned out to be its own game there were people that werent to thrilled.

That's a good way of looking at it. Seems strange that people wouldn't like the fact that ODST is it's own game. It adds to the collection and variety, DLC are usually more sparse compared to the main game. ODST is one of my favorites, so I'm glad they did it the way they did.

It was always the one that stuck out to me. I’m sure there plenty other but I kinda just drowned out people that disliked it cause I still loved it. It’s like today you get those constant arguments “oh 343 is ruining halo or oh bungie needs to come back” etc etc. bungie has its flaws in the way it paid zero attention to the expanded lore, 343 Atleast acknowledges it.

It was always the one that stuck out to me. I’m sure there plenty other but I kinda just drowned out people that disliked it cause I still loved it. It’s like today you get those constant arguments “oh 343 is ruining halo or oh bungie needs to come back” etc etc. bungie has its flaws in the way it paid zero attention to the expanded lore, 343 Atleast acknowledges it.
also given bungies current games seem to lack in story i am fine with 343 doing it, just liked the old style more. its like the original starwars and prequels the prequels were not terrible, they just tried to explain too much. that causes it to loose the epic military story aspect. they also have MC doing less amazing feats, and not jumping from everything.

also given bungies current games seem to lack in story i am fine with 343 doing it, just liked the old style more. its like the original starwars and prequels the prequels were not terrible, they just tried to explain too much. that causes it to loose the epic military story aspect. they also have MC doing less amazing feats, and not jumping from everything.

Right. The new Halos are still good, just not as good as the originals. I haven't played through 1, 2, or 3 but I've played bits and pieces from the MCC and found them very fun and impressive (though I wish they didn't have the flood). I would like to play them to get the whole storyline and everything, I've heard so many good things about Halo 3. The only games I've completely played through would be ODST, Reach, and 5. I own 4, but haven't done a start-to-finish campaign yet. The Believe trailer from H3 is just amazing and to me, totally sums up the epic-ness of original Halo. And ODST is awesome because it's like WWII paratroopers in a sci-fi setting. Plus the atmosphere was so convincing and apocalyptic.

Right. The new Halos are still good, just not as good as the originals. I haven't played through 1, 2, or 3 but I've played bits and pieces from the MCC and found them very fun and impressive (though I wish they didn't have the flood). I would like to play them to get the whole storyline and everything, I've heard so many good things about Halo 3. The only games I've completely played through would be ODST, Reach, and 5. I own 4, but haven't done a start-to-finish campaign yet. The Believe trailer from H3 is just amazing and to me, totally sums up the epic-ness of original Halo. And ODST is awesome because it's like WWII paratroopers in a sci-fi setting. Plus the atmosphere was so convincing and apocalyptic.
i think once you play 2 and 3 you will change your mind about the flood,k i dont think they were necessary in ce though. also if you want a good creepy flood experience play it on original graphics, the lighting and mood is much different in remastered

i think once you play 2 and 3 you will change your mind about the flood,k i dont think they were necessary in ce though. also if you want a good creepy flood experience play it on original graphics, the lighting and mood is much different in remastered

I wish they didn't have them just because I don't really play zombie stuff and try to steer clear of more violent games, but Halo is still better, even with a zombie aspect. But yeah, I think they are a cool concept though, and I do like fear-driven/creepy gameplay. I really liked ODST because you feel a lot of tension like you being hunted, sneaking around and all that.

I mean by all means none of the halos are perfect but you have a good point on bungie stories now. Everyone seems to think bungie needs to come back, but it people don’t look at the fact when bungie quit doing halo, whoever wanted to do halo from that company stayed.

I mean by all means none of the halos are perfect but you have a good point on bungie stories now. Everyone seems to think bungie needs to come back, but it people don’t look at the fact when bungie quit doing halo, whoever wanted to do halo from that company stayed.
Yeah, don't understand how people miss that.

Halo 5 has its flaws, but while I dislike the story turn, I really like the level environment.. I always liked realism in art like Albrecht Dürer paintings....so there's that. I appreciate the possibilities of modern game engines. When you know how difficult the process of creating that stuff really is, you become more thankful to the artists working in the industry. Getting angry at those douchebags in the comment sections - little kids who never were creative themselves but demand everything to be better.:mad:
Playing the first 2 halos with friends and Halo 3 on my own console ( I still play on today) I saw how games changed. Not to the better in all cases, but Halo is still Halo I believe.
Halo 5 has the same team command system Republic Commando had - and I absolutely loved that game! In every bigger play through on YouTube you see how rarely anyone takes advantage of that....it's in the game use it! How long have I waited to fight with all of the other Spartans I learned to love from all the books - and now people complain about it!:eek:
Sometimes I don't know what these folks want...

There is still everything included what makes Halo my passion: Art, Architecture, Action, a dark feeling of doomsday, philosophy, the fight against fanatism, the mystic ways of how technology might bring all this about us - depending on who uses it. If it weren't for halo it would look a lot worse for Microsoft. :p

Even with how promising Infinite looks or will be youll still get those people crying "its not halo!". Itll never effect my opinion on the franchise as a whole, annoy me? Yeah it will to an extent. Halo 5 wasnt perfect and I agree I did not like how the sotry went at all, byt you can already tell how 343 is tryin to right their path to please the community in that reguard if you go read Bad Blood. Yes new blood lost a fan favorite character but Bad blood brought us back two.

Don't spoil anything guys! Haven't read it! Thanks in advance:D

Haters will be haters - part of it is almost tradition. World peace will be achieved when battlefield and Cod fans unite!:lol:
Or PC Master-race will rule over us console peasants.

battlefield cod and halo fans I feel must all unite to avoid getting trampled by PC. which it seems halo is getting trampled.

Yeah, don't understand how people miss that.

Halo 5 has its flaws, but while I dislike the story turn, I really like the level environment.. I always liked realism in art like Albrecht Dürer paintings....so there's that. I appreciate the possibilities of modern game engines. When you know how difficult the process of creating that stuff really is, you become more thankful to the artists working in the industry. Getting angry at those douchebags in the comment sections - little kids who never were creative themselves but demand everything to be better.:mad:
Playing the first 2 halos with friends and Halo 3 on my own console ( I still play on today) I saw how games changed. Not to the better in all cases, but Halo is still Halo I believe.
Halo 5 has the same team command system Republic Commando had - and I absolutely loved that game! In every bigger play through on YouTube you see how rarely anyone takes advantage of that....it's in the game use it! How long have I waited to fight with all of the other Spartans I learned to love from all the books - and now people complain about it!:eek:
Sometimes I don't know what these folks want...

There is still everything included what makes Halo my passion: Art, Architecture, Action, a dark feeling of doomsday, philosophy, the fight against fanatism, the mystic ways of how technology might bring all this about us - depending on who uses it. If it weren't for halo it would look a lot worse for Microsoft. :p

Couldn't agree with you more! And what- Halo 5 has a squad command system???! Did I miss something really important, because I played the whole campaign and didn't pick up on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back