halo armor how to make helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow.. this topic took off.. hang on a sec.. let me help.

We do our vacuum-formed helmet in 5 pieces..
#1 The top
#2 The Jawline (from Cheekbox to Cheekbox)
#3 The Visor
#4 left rear half
#5 right rear half.

Here's an early version we did.. you can see the sections and the rivets. Later we painted the rivet heads. It's funny how people don't seem to care about the rivets being there. As a perfectionist myself, it's hard to be ok with it, not to mention how our pieces didn't overlap real good at that point in development.

sm-blue-helm.jpg

Every piece is designed to overlap into the next piece around the edges.
That means that making a head, and then cutting it up isn't enough. You need to make the head, carefully cut it up into sections, and then build-up the sections so that they include smaller versions of any features that are in the surrounding pieces.

We decided to rivet everything into place after putting on the basic paint (spray paint).
In Florida glues don't always work real good, but there ARE plastic glues that you can use to make seams go away.

---------
BE CAREFUL, your vacuumform molds cannot have undercuts on them, or you will either destroy the mold while getting off the plastic, and/or lose the mold when the plastic wraps around it and hardens. Look up undercuts.. be SURE you know what they are, and then avoid them like the plague. I've wasted so much hard effort on pieces that had undercuts and were basically useless.
--------

Don't use cardboard for molds, it won't survive the vacuum process, and actually the hot plastic might make it get crispy and start doing weird things.

--------

Another way to move the plastic is to use a heat gun on it.. the problem is that it's hard to get the plastic to do what you want, like get into corners and stuff, and stretch consistently, etc, to avoid wrinkles. It's better to use the heat gun to reshape parts, like the angles of bends, or size of curves, etc, rather than trying to do complex pieces with it.

---------

Ovens.. we took apart two ovens and a friend of mine is an electronics guy.. we made a big steel shell and hung down from the ceiling and had the wiring guy install the heating elements, and then layered the outside of it in insulation. We sized it to handle 4 x 4 sheets of plastic, but for armour you rarely need more than 3 foot.

Frames.. we cut out MDF wood and then hinged one edge, and put screws through it with wingnuts on. Don't be staple freaks.. there's NO need for it.
Replace frame parts when they get overcooked. stay away from plywood unless you're using it for the top face of your frame, or you'll have major air leaks.

Thanks deadguy, your vacuumforming list will really help us, I appreciate your help, and thank reheated for telling me about how nasty fiberglass can be. Any othe suggestions?

with reguards to the guy who made the suit in Paper.

beform i aquired the statue i took tripple corigated cardboard and just started following the line and shapes. making a cut here and there, looking at Chris Bryans suit and began forming the roush shapes and proportions from that . i stopped because of course i found the statue.

the same way would still be done, my intentions were to make the first suit in cardboard, using a hot glue gun to stick the edges and such. once shape were built up i was then going to use fiberglass over it to give it a more ridged base. and then add on body filler. from there it was power sanding all the way and then using a dermal for detail.

the idea is sound and it would have worked nicely. i believe that is how NMA's suit were originally constructed.

Sculpt a monster out of clay is.. hard at the best of times.. but not everything has to match up... then sculpting armor everything must me symetrical in everyway and the entire suit must beable to mirror itsself.. and this is no easy feat even for professionals.

try using pink styrafoam to car out the rough shapes give it a coat of latex. and then fiberglass it ( as i think fiberglass will eat the foam)

and then on to the body filler.

my helmets are all fiberglass.....vacuforming is alittle faster than fiberglassing. its depends on the maker in what they like to work with, me its fiberglass

Making your helmet, ect.

When I made the helmet, I used a paintball helmet just to have a reference to build up over. The tough thing about working overtop of another helmet is keeping the head proportional to the body....like you have to be conscious of keeping the head small as possible. I see alot of suits out there that were based on motorcycle helmets, and the helmets just come out way too large. They look like M.C. bobbleheads. I even ended up even tailoring the paintball helmet to make it smaller. It's a tight fit, but it's worth it to keep the head proportional.

The approach I settled with was to pattern everything out with posterboard and scotch tape. Making cuts and bends here and there until I had something that looked like what I wanted. Then I carefully cut the paper pattern back apart, labelling each piece as to where it was used. After I made the patterns I cut each piece out of 1/8 inch polystyrene sheets...the kind used for vacuum forming with scissors, and used superglue to assemble them. Once I had re-created the piece, I coated the inside of it with polyester resin and fiberglass. Putty, sand, trim, and the piece is ready for paint.

Thats why I call my approach 'fabricated' out of polystyrene as opposed to sculpted or vacuumed. Of course eveything looked angular, like a polygonal model, but I managed to round it out after it was fiberglassed. I ended up with the same final product, but I skipped the step of building a vacuum former and all that trial and error. Don't get me wrong, I think vacuum forming is still the best way to reproduce these suits, and I'll certainly be building one now. I just wanted to build my suit first and make sure I could do it right, before I considered reproducing it. Of course I'll have to use my first suit as the pattern for vacuum forming, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice in order to reproduce the suit.

I still have all my posterboard patterns too, which is nice because after I have a chance to organize and correct them I can pass them along to other people. Then of course if somebody wanted to make their suit out of cardboard..or sheet metal, or anything like that they can start with those flat patterns. They'll deffinately be included in my tutorial.

I'm a sculptor by trade. So I work specifically with clay and rubber molds and casting resins for most of my work. But in making a M. C. suit I even wanted to avoid all that moldmaking and expense. I think that the vacuumforing approach can be combined with the fiberglass approach and you get the best of both!

i feel like an idiot but how exactly do you use fiber glass. ive made custom masks before useing plaster and i was wondering if it was the same way. PM so i dont go buy it and find out its over my head. and what about resin? if you know any tutorials send me some links plz :)

i feel like an idiot but how exactly do you use fiber glass.
In it's bluntest form, fiberglass is like paper mache with toxic chemicals. It makes great armor though (points to link4044's suit)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mini Fiberglass Tutorial:
You mix the resin with the resin and the hardener in whatever ratio it tells you. You dip the fiberglass cloth into the resin and you put in on your form/mold. Down and dirty that's all you have to do. But you need to be able to work with this stuff outside, because it is TOXIC!!!! You do NOT want to get it on you or to even breath the fumes. If you want to know more about it you should pick up Thurston Jams' book of prop making
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/155...owtobuildastorm

use card board 1st get the base then back that with fiberglass then you can build off of that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back