Halo Cg Fanfilm Wip Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
W00T! I won a free Legendary copy of Reach last night!

all this = win

i don't know why all the fan film people don't team up?? i mean op chasity has the stuff you have the cgi stuff and im sure the others can add some man power/extra stuff

it would be win... :D

I honestly came really really close to emailing the guys behind operation chastity to see if I could throw my weight into it, but I decided against it, and I'm honestly glad for it. I don't want to commit to anything that I can't give 100 percent too. As it is I've been pretty busy with my work, and I like being able to work at whatever pace I can on this. It may take me a while to get through 1 character model, but it's nice to not have stress out about it.

Need weapon and vehicle models? (Untextured I'm afraid).

You should show him pics of your stuff hunter so he knows what awesome you can provide him with :)

Oh I'm extremely familiar with his work. Your stuff is awesome Hunter. The only reason I'm going to turn your offer down is because I want to go through the process of making my own, but I'll be more than happy if my topology comes out as good as yours.

I'dd love to help, i am pretty decent at adone after effects

Appreciate the offer, but I'm going to be doing all the compositing/rotoscoping/motiongraphics for this thing myself. I'm a longtime user of after effects and I've worked as a compositor for a few Hollywood films.
And since you mention it;

With my work and all I got a little burned out on working on character modeling and I really wanted to stretch my after effects legs again, so I decided to do some work on some title graphics for the project for any kind of promotions I come up with and for the opening section of the movie. I still think one or two of the wipes and transitions need an extra little touch, but I think it's essentially complete. I was going to keep this one underwraps, but then I thought “what, am I suddenly positive I'm actually going to get this thing completely finished?!? Nah, I'll show it off”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the lack of updates guys. Been crazy busy between work, school, home, and other things. I really want to get some more stuff churned out on this before Reach comes out and consumes an unspecified portion of my life. :)

Hope to have more by the end of tomorrow, but hopefully this will suffice for now.

Battleriffle_web.jpg

Concept for the Battle Rifle. Basically, it's the DMR with some slight modifications. All in all, I really enjoy the DMR and I love the detail bungie added, but there's a certain quality about the top of the BR55's silhouette that I just can't let go of.

I also added in an iron sight that's more reminiscent of the m16 and/or m4 assault rifle, as well as a modified barrel. I've never really liked the three pronged barrel from the BR, and I've always loved the look of a more traditional barrel like the version of the battle rifle from the contact harvest cover.

I was thinking about calling it the BR65.

Sorry for the lack of updates guys. Been crazy busy between work, school, home, and other things. I really want to get some more stuff churned out on this before Reach comes out and consumes an unspecified portion of my life. :)

Hope to have more by the end of tomorrow, but hopefully this will suffice for now.

Battleriffle_web.jpg

Concept for the Battle Rifle. Basically, it's the DMR with some slight modifications. All in all, I really enjoy the DMR and I love the detail bungie added, but there's a certain quality about the top of the BR55's silhouette that I just can't let go of.

I also added in an iron sight that's more reminiscent of the m16 and/or m4 assault rifle, as well as a modified barrel. I've never really liked the three pronged barrel from the BR, and I've always loved the look of a more traditional barrel like the version of the battle rifle from the contact harvest cover.

I was thinking about calling it the BR65.

I love it! awesome design better than my designs that I've made form the DMR

I love your concept work and the practicality you try to infuse into the Halo designs. the renders look great and I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Totally love the rifle design man!

to quote Issac-098(I think that's the number...)

"I'm in Love!"

Glad to see everyone enjoys the redesign!

Unfold that prettyboy and I'll totally pep it. D:<

Tell you what, once I get done modeling it, I'll upload it in case somebody wants to unfold it. I would love to see someone carrying it around.

Sorry I never got around to uploading anything on sunday. I've just been having a crazy freakin week. There's currently a hole in the wall of my condo because of a leaking pipe, and the battery in my car died on Sunday. I'm hoping to finish up and upload my concept for a redesign of the assault riffle at some point this week.

Sorry for the inactivity guys...but can ya really blame me? :$

Reached Captain yesterday, have all but 1 achievement, and on the road to snagging that mark v helmet. Been having the time of my life. Any moment I haven't been working at my job, I've been playing reach, but I have to get back to my craft at some point, and Reach has given me both new inspiration and fuel for my work.

So first off, that MA5C concept I promised forever and a day ago:

Assaultriffle_WEB.jpg

Simple enough really. Quick blend between the ma5c and the new assault riffle. Nothing really special TBH, just needed to get made. I might even push it further later, but for now I'm happy with the direction.

Now, for the real update. I was initially somewhat skeptical on some of the reach designs...but I have found myself doing a complete 180 on the issue. Certain aspects still bug me like armor covering the back, but overall I have to say that I really enjoy the retconed design. This being the case...I decided that the chief could probably benefit from a few of the new Reach details. So I went ahead and snagged some reference from bungie.net, and did a quick paint over to see what I could come up with before I went home for the day.
I'm not quite done with it yet I think. I'm trying to see if I can incorporate a few more details from the game, like some ammo pouches, but I figured I'd show the direction I'm heading with it:

Masterchief_Concept.png

Sorry for the inactivity guys...but can ya really blame me? :$

Reached Captain yesterday, have all but 1 achievement, and on the road to snagging that mark v helmet. Been having the time of my life. Any moment I haven't been working at my job, I've been playing reach, but I have to get back to my craft at some point, and Reach has given me both new inspiration and fuel for my work.

So first off, that MA5C concept I promised forever and a day ago:

Assaultriffle_WEB.jpg

Simple enough really. Quick blend between the ma5c and the new assault riffle. Nothing really special TBH, just needed to get made. I might even push it further later, but for now I'm happy with the direction.

Now, for the real update. I was initially somewhat skeptical on some of the reach designs...but I have found myself doing a complete 180 on the issue. Certain aspects still bug me like armor covering the back, but overall I have to say that I really enjoy the retconed design. This being the case...I decided that the chief could probably benefit from a few of the new Reach details. So I went ahead and snagged some reference from bungie.net, and did a quick paint over to see what I could come up with before I went home for the day.
I'm not quite done with it yet I think. I'm trying to see if I can incorporate a few more details from the game, like some ammo pouches, but I figured I'd show the direction I'm heading with it:

Masterchief_Concept.png

WOW! that looks awesome! still think a redesigned Mk. V would look better (not that yours looks bad but i just love the mk. V :p )

sweet. I just made the jump to windows 7 with 16 gb of ram and a new superfast hardrive. Time to get back to sculpting. :cool

johnsonpreview_02.png

the beginnings of Sergeant Johnson's face. Still a lot too do obviously. I feel like Johnson's face should possess a kind of crazed humor. Sharp features and piercing eyes, along with a million dollar grin. I'm getting the first part down , but I think his features are a little too feral and overpowering right now to have any semblance of humor. I'm going to dial it back a tad and round out the shapes on the mouth a little more and I hope that'll do the trick. Then it'll be on to giving the wrinkles and pores.

Current sculpt. really wish I had more time to sit with it than the small amount I get at the end of my day:

johnsonpreview_04.png

getting closer to where I want it. most of the details in the face are there now. I still need skin pores and some more variation in the skin texure, but I think it's coming together nicely. I'll start adding the final details tomorrow and then it's onto the next step.

Now...this is where I start heading into unknown territory, because next up after that is hair, eyebrows, and Johnson's trademark stache, and I haven't really planed out what I want to do on that front yet. I haven't really used most hair plugins at all, and I'm not entirely sure what their effect is going to be on rendering times. All I've ever realy done before is the "plane" method...and that's probably not viable for at least certain aspects of this model.
More than likely I'll wind up with a combination of plane and geometry, but I'd like to see what my options are for more realistic hair solutions if they aren't TOO devastating for the renders.

Not sure if anyone has any advice for this.

I've got nothing on the head sculpt, But the MC's helmet has to be a Mk V, mostly because it's pretty/better-er than the VI.
And I always thought that the marines looked above the AmmoCounter, not directly at it, Good Idea though.

Also, off topic: I'm a quarter to of the way to Lt-C And I Want my MKV, it's been taunting me since captain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back