halo clay sculpture

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickrtickr

Member DIN
S259
hey there 405th i have something new for you guys.

this August I am competing in a fine arts competition for 3D art. with a piece that I have yet to finish. I am hoping to give you guys my progress here.

so here is my first progress picture.

PICT0006_zps2c79cc21.jpg

If this is the wrong place to post this please point me in the right direction.

Lookin' good. Is that sculpeyIII? I only assume because of the green clay. If that's the direction you're going for you might want to try super sculpey instead if you haven't already especially since you're building something larger (guessing around 9 inches depending on how big your hand is lol). Also if you are using polymer clay you're definitely going to need some kind of armature otherwise it won't be stable. I'd recommend taking a look at this - conceptart.org/forums/ Unfortunately I think most of the photos are gone but you might find some useful information.

Lookin' good. Is that sculpeyIII? I only assume because of the green clay. If that's the direction you're going for you might want to try super sculpey instead if you haven't already especially since you're building something larger (guessing around 9 inches depending on how big your hand is lol). Also if you are using polymer clay you're definitely going to need some kind of armature otherwise it won't be stable. I'd recommend taking a look at this - conceptart.org/forums/ Unfortunately I think most of the photos are gone but you might find some useful information.

as to your question, yes I am using Sclupey III, but as for your concerns I have had three years of experience with this particular type of clay and i am using cores to stabilize the model. here i have both arms one covered and one with only the cores.

DSC01287_zps0f3eb7e5.jpg

ok here is a new update.

i have made some progress on the lower torso.

DSC01291_zps20fdfaed.jpg

hey there 405th i have an update for you.

I have finished (mostly) the right arm.

DSC01305_zps9c590732.jpg

DSC01306_zps146acd40.jpg

that is all for now (until next time)

as to your question, yes I am using Sclupey III, but as for your concerns I have had three years of experience with this particular type of clay and i am using cores to stabilize the model. here i have both arms one covered and one with only the cores.

Gotcha. I've never seen an armature used disassembled, s'why I didn't think there was one lol. What did you use for the cores? I can't tell what it is, I've only ever used plumber's putty.
Looks good btw.

What did you use for the cores? I can't tell what it is, I've only ever used plumber's putty.
Looks good btw.

i am using two different materials for the cores, for the torso core i used aluminum foil, and for the arms and legs i made the cores out of clay (which i then baked to provide stability)

Very good. My only critique is that the back armor pieces are a wonky (wow, that registered as a word!) but other than that it's looking really good!

-Seth

Very good. My only critique is that the back armor pieces are a wonky (wow, that registered as a word!) but other than that it's looking really good!

-Seth

YA i noticed that to, on the FUD armor ther is only four sections and mine has 7 so i was planing on fixing the problem either way.

ok sorry for taking so long with an up date but here it is, with only one week to go before this piece goes on the road to Orlando for an art competition.

Sorry for low image quality - I couldn't find my camra.

SUNP0197_zps10d265a8.jpg

SUNP0198_zps9b921fef.jpg

It's looking REALLY NICE! :D I think your next project (armor wise) is to sculpt a piece ;) what was your plans for the helmet/visor?

Hello 405th

as i am now down to the last week before this travels it will probably be one of my last updates till it gets back (i will still take progress pics)

but here we go i have now finished the helmet.

(rough helmet cut out)

DSC01381_zps0033b1df.jpg

final

DSC01382_zps2f2b1c2c.jpg

DSC01384_zps3bac0f1a.jpg

i know it is not 100% accurate but it serves its purpose.

ok here are new figure pics.

DSC01387_zps33e6b5a5.jpg

DSC01388_zps3801808f.jpg

DSC01389_zps89a74833.jpg

I still need to fill the sholders

and here is a size comparison to my new helmet

DSC01390_zps90543381.jpg

and so detail pics of the helm.

DSC01391_zpsfa4b5b49.jpg

compaired to full size.

DSC01392_zpsc7dac93b.jpg

Status