Halo Concept Armor Project Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

btac

The classic halo armor looks cool and all as a costume, but I have a few problems with it.

One of the things I don't like about the regular in game halo armor is that it was designed to look good with low polygon count, aka blocky armor. Now that video game hardware has advanced, it still has the same shape, they simply add all kinds of lines and indents and gadgets all over the surface to add detail.

I personally like the look of the halo concept art drawing by Shi Kai Wang, like on the sketch below, Its a lot more like what you would expect real armor to look like, there are no massive gaps in the plate, the features are smooth, which would increase round deflection, reduce visibility, and prevent getting snagged up on things.

While with tanks, faceted surfaces work great for round deflection since there are very few directions tanks get shot from, on the halo armor, the facets are arranged in such a way that the wearer is presenting surfaces perpendicular to the direction of incoming fire. Statistically a curved surface is going to be more effective at deflecting rounds from all directions.

Flat facets also catch the light and produce unusual light patterns that you would not see in nature, along with having way too many straight lines. The natural curves give gentle gradients for shadows and blend in better with natural surroundings, and the lack of straight lines will also reduce visibility.

Another thing is a smooth curve isn't going to snag up on things like all the bulky faceted extrusions coming off the classic halo armor. The armor suit I'd like to make would be something like below, with even less detail than the halo concept, nothing that doesn't have an actual use.

haloconcept2.jpg

I'd like to put together a little group of people who are experienced modelers, and builders, who'd like to participate in the following project, I'd like to be able to have a few working prototypes that will be taken to the Burning Man festival in august and demonstrated in the harsh conditions there.

The suit wont be ballistic resistant like real armor but I'd like to demonstrate a bunch of advanced concepts that you'd expect to see in an advanced armor suit.

Suit Initial Design criteria:
Primarily made from light weight advanced composites
Fully articulated with high mobility
Near 100% plate coverage
Armor must act as a load bearing exoskeleton
Armor will be painted with an advanced digital camo pattern using thermal color change paints. (cold = night colors hot = day or winter / summer) Maybe light reactive pigments, so that the suit naturally neutralizes shadows and highlights from light.
Air tight with air circulation climate control system w/ removal of perspiration.
Insulated for extreme hot and cold conditions.

Some long term feature goals:

Built in high capacity rechargeable battery packs, solar recharge stations for 'base camp'
On board solar for indefinite critical systems run time
Visor with built in HUD
Low noise amplification / high noise reduction earmuff technology combined with 5.1 speaker technology for enhanced awareness
Parabolic audio amplifier built into helmet for long distance eavesdropping.

For demonstration at burning man I'd probably make something that looks like a space cruiser ejection pod covered in solar panels for sleeping in, that can be set up to look like it just crash landed in the desert.

Various stages of the project would also be filmed in HD with the goal of putting together a 1-2 hr you tube documentary.

So what do you think?

Things I dont want to hear about:
1) Man thats gonna cost way too much money, why would you spend so much on a costume.

If it actually has real world functionality its not a costume. Making costumes does not manifest future technology into reality.

2) That sounds way too ambitious, why don't you start off with some cardboard armor newbie.

I may be new to this forum, but I am by no means a noob when it comes to building complicated systems and equipment, and I have numerous resources at my disposal.

3) You cant post that here.

Actually seeing as I only have posting permissions in the noob section, I cant really post it anywhere else now can I.

valid arguments. im assuming the main plates are going to be a kevlar insulated bullet resistant metal, while the wearers joints are going to be made of a thinner kevlar. what did you have in mind for the eyeshield and Visor?

valid arguments. im assuming the main plates are going to be a kevlar insulated bullet resistant metal, while the wearers joints are going to be made of a thinner kevlar. what did you have in mind for the eyeshield and Visor?

The eyesheild is going to be a laminated lexan material, though one of the things I'd like to incorporate is a plate that can pop down from ontop the head and completely cover the face, switching visuals to a LCD screen on the inside

The suit would be in several sections.

First the user would wear a full body compressive moisture wick material like underarmor the compressive suit would also have heavy strapping which will form something like a climbing suspension harness, so that the user is essentially suspended inside the suit, not the suit being suspended on the wearer.

Ideally I'd like the boots, legs, and hips all one piece, that the user can slip into like a pair of pants, and engage locking points on the underarmor harness system. The chest would open in half, with arms attached, and then the helmet would lock into place on the neck piece. The helmet would be connected to the chest piece, which would have an exoskeltal spine running down to the hip piece, and from there joints would connect the hips and legs, so that the weight of the suit is transmitted to the feet of the suit, not the feet of the wearer. This will greatly increase load carrying capability, if you're just standing around with 100lbs of gear on your back, you wont really feel much, while it would be harder to move compared to not wearing a suit, you wont feel the weight of the suit compressing every joint in your body.

Around the load bearing system would be the internal duct work, which would circulate air in various configurations, based on body temp sensors.

If its cold out, air will be pumped from the core body areas to the extremities. With insulated winter wear, your core is almost always sweating while your limbs are freezing durring strenuous activity. Also there will be a heat transfer system so that when you breath in air, a heat exchanger preheats it, from the warmth of the air you just exhaled, reducing heat loss, and drastically reducing moisture loss. Circulated suit air would pass through a similar heat transfer system for the purpose of condensing moisture to keep the user dry.

In hot weather air will be circulated to a solid state peltier cooling unit, which will have the effect of condensing moisture in the suit, and cooling the air, like in suit air conditioning.

Ideally I'd also like to incorporate something along the lines of a gas mask filter into the breathing unit, which could be engaged with the press of a button.

As for the visor, I think I'd make it so the protective plate that can come down over the whole face of the mask, so it could be partially extended to act as one, or come down all the way. Otherwise under normal conditions a visor would just limit your field of view.

Eventually a small rotary motor driving a hydraulic pump could be used for hydraulic assist, but for the moment I dont want to even think about anything other than a human powered suit.

This sounds like a great idea. Question about the harness system though. Wouldn't having all the pieces attached in such a way substantially limit mobility and range of movement? I understand the weight bearing concept, but having the helmet attached to the spine and then to the chest, I feel like that would make the suit not so fun to get into a hand-to-hand fight with. Granted, you'd be so well protected that you probably wouldn't care, but do you have any idea as to how you would do this without sacrificing the wearer's freedom of movement?

This sounds like a great idea. Question about the harness system though. Wouldn't having all the pieces attached in such a way substantially limit mobility and range of movement? I understand the weight bearing concept, but having the helmet attached to the spine and then to the chest, I feel like that would make the suit not so fun to get into a hand-to-hand fight with. Granted, you'd be so well protected that you probably wouldn't care, but do you have any idea as to how you would do this without sacrificing the wearer's freedom of movement?

I dont think the system will limit motion any more or less than current military body armor. When you're wearing an armor carrier with neck flaps, and have a helmet on, your range of motion is limited to the extent that you'd want to move in combat. for example if you get hit in the head with something, your heads only going to bend back to the point where your helmet connects with the neck flaps of your armor, rather than snapping your neck all the way back. If you get thrown into a wall by an explosion, you dont want your neck to instantly bend the full range of its motion.

If someones in a hand to hand fight with you, with just their hands, they've already lost. You could head bash their fist and shatter their hand. At the moment the suit is more of a survival suit armor concept, could go completely overboard adding full militarized attachments like motion tracking shoulder turrets, arm mounted flame throwers, but I think that would just distract people from the actual innovations.

Im not too concerned with the load bearing capability of the arms as much as neck/shoulder/back the arms could have fairly flexible joints. In this version its going to be human powered, so dont really have to worry about people lifting up a humvee, but if they have 100 lbs of gear on their back, it will greatly reduce the burden.

what about reloading? the helmet would obstruct view and possibly make a easy target for a sniper (depending on the visors tint and reflectivity, of course).
i am also assuming you intend to use OLED's (Organic Light Emmiting Diodes) for the HUD.
Edit:
not intending to hijack your thread. here are a few concepts
halo5.jpg

^pretty fond of this one^
halo3f.jpg

^the one you want to do^
halo4p.jpg
more concept.

yes, you are right, the armor is more stetic than useful but it looks cool and the one drawed is more like the SPI armor except on the fact that the SPI is a complete visor and i thhink that all for me.

spartan-B312 out

what about reloading? the helmet would obstruct view and possibly make a easy target for a sniper (depending on the visors tint and reflectivity, of course).
i am also assuming you intend to use OLED's (Organic Light Emmiting Diodes) for the HUD.

Ha yea, well I can gaurentee it wont have a gold visor thats for sure. I'm not sure how exactly the normal halo helmet is as far as view goes, I'd suspect since most of them are yanked from game models that they never were designed for actual human use, you can make a helmet that has minimal view obstruction.

Also anyone in the military who makes it to the point of getting issued a halo suit, can probably reload, clear jams, and feild strip their weapon blind.

yeah, you really only get about 60 degrees of view in games anyway. but i see aiming down a weapons sight also as another possible problem. unless the helmet is as tight fitting as a regular's standard kevlar helmet.

yeah, you really only get about 60 degrees of view in games anyway. but i see aiming down a weapons sight also as another possible problem. unless the helmet is as tight fitting as a regular's standard kevlar helmet.

Firing with a weapons iron sights or even most scopes is very hard with full battle gear on and large eye protection like goggles on. Holographic sights are good reflex sights and don't require you to have the optic up close to your eye.

Firing with a weapons iron sights or even most scopes is very hard with full battle gear on and large eye protection like goggles on. Holographic sights are good reflex sights and don't require you to have the optic up close to your eye.

Yep Holographic sights are the way to go. Eventually I'd like to do something like combine a rifle with a precision wii remote, and have a video HUD overlay system project a dot on the visor where the gun is pointing, no matter where you are holding it, or an arrow of varying size pointing in the direction the gun is pointing, if you dont have it ligned up.

Lot of awesome possibilities in the future.

Not trying to be rude or anything, but may I ask what you plan to get out of this? I think its a wonderful idea, and trust me, there were many others who wanted to build a fully functional suit capable of taking bullets and having a jetpack built into it. It sounds pretty good to me and I'll be happy to help in anyway possible!

I plan on using it to take over the world..MUAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAhahaakaaahcough *choke* *dies*

What do I plan to get from this? I think your second sentence pretty much sums it up.

I plan on using it to take over the world..MUAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAhahaakaaahcough *choke* *dies*

What do I plan to get from this? I think your second sentence pretty much sums it up.

Well then, I guess I'll have to stop you...... >:D

Well then, I guess I'll have to stop you...... >:D

Why does everyone assume that when someone wants to take over the world that its a bad thing? lol

I've drawn up a quick build steel load bearing exoskeleton and I think I will begin building it tomorrow, starting with the hips and legs. From that material can be added to bulk it up to a shape that would be structurally sound made in composites. Should be able to have the load bearng 'bones' also act as the air transport columns.

Why does everyone assume that when someone wants to take over the world that its a bad thing? lol

I've drawn up a quick build steel load bearing exoskeleton and I think I will begin building it tomorrow, starting with the hips and legs. From that material can be added to bulk it up to a shape that would be structurally sound made in composites. Should be able to have the load bearng 'bones' also act as the air transport columns.

It's probably something to do with the evil laugh, but you know how some people are /shakes head

Anyway, I've seen a feww ideas like this, but this seems to be the most workable one out there. Good luck!

Hey, maybe I wanted to take it over first, and your in my way to complete it?

I agree with Swift. However, quick question, if you do, what do you think the estimated time completion of this project would take if all goes well?

true, but most conventional sights are low to the gun, and not all soldiers are sent into the fire with a enhanced sight.
regardless if its EOTech or a reflex sights, the user might find difficulty in placing shots without the use of sights. (unless he has a 'gun cam' attached to his gun and a live feed moniter mounted to his helmet, of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back