Halo: Dust And Echoes - Fan Film

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamtlee

Jr Member
This is the progress thread for a halo fan film called Halo: Dust and Echoes. It will take place during the first halo game. The story will follow a group of marines on installation 04. I decided for my creations to be scratch built rather than pep so that they would have more of an individual feel to them. I have a very limited budget but very large ideas for this fan film.

This is the progress that I have made so far. I have two full suits of marine armor (Halo CE) and one magnum. These where all created with a mixture of cardboard, foam poster board, and e-z form plaster wrap all to maintain a supper light build. The reason that people tell you not to spray paint Styrofoam is that the paint actually eats away at it. Which is what happened to my pistol. The plaster wrap has given my armor a gritty feel which is good for the feel that I am going for in the movie. Currently I am saving money so that I can buy some decent camo and straps to keep the armor in position. I have also started building an elite and grunt costume though progress on those are a bit slower. I also have started on a body suit for a brute but that is just for fun and will not be making an appearance in this film.

th_DSCN1728.jpg

looks cool, im starting to notice that most fan films are using halo CE armor for there marines, can you explain this for me

Good idea!

your right! it does look like an original! (and an excellent one i might add)

When you finish post it on here!

mechanicalgriff said:
I also have started on a body suit for a brute but that is just for fun and will not be making an appearance in this film

why not have a brute, it would allow you to make a prop spike that sticks out of someones stomach

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot speak as to the reason that others are using the CE armor as for me I'm using the armor in my film because the story takes place during CE and I want it to fit as well as it can canonically speaking with the original story. Same reason that I will not have a brute showing up. That is not to say that if this one goes well there will not be a second short film. The CE armor presents unique problems when it comes to strapping I do know that. I still need a few more props before I begin filming though that is not to say I will not present a sneak peek beforehand :) I will soon post a reply with the progress I have made so far with the covenant. Thank you guys very much for the encouraging responses and know that I am hard at work for a quick update.

I made the needler from three big coke bottles, some cardboard, hot glue, and paint. I'm not entirely happy about how it came out but instead of remaking it I will just keep it a bit farther back in the shot so you cant see the flaws as much. Velcro is def a possibility but there are certain parts I will have to strap as well. Thank you capestranus you already know I'm a big fan of your cg and compositing work :D I would love to have your skills. I have been envying that sniper rifle you have as well ;)

technically the halo CE armor is only specific to the pillar of autumn. Since you movie takes place of alpha halo the pillar of autumn was the human only ship to get there you are right but you could have brutes in it if you wanted because we do not know the full extent of the personnel on the covenant ships on Alpha Halo. Master Chief could have just not run into any because there were very few

Timothy Rodowicz said:
i'd go with none. a lot easier than trying to find a really tall person to fit into an 8 or 9 foot costume

just use forced perspective. thats what i plan on doing.

Thats what I will do with the grunts and elites though with the suit on It makes me look taller anyways. The grunt will really have to use it to make him appear smaller.

mechanicalgriff said:
Thats what I will do with the grunts and elites though with the suit on It makes me look taller anyways. The grunt will really have to use it to make him appear smaller.

for the grunts i'm just using my Bro's (both are avid halo fans since CE) both are around 4'7"-4'9" so it should work out.

Timothy Rodowicz said:
almost 2 feet too tall. grunts = 1 meter = around 3.2 feet

Height

5'06" (168cm)

Taken directly from halopedia. my bro's are a little too short but it should work out fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back