Halo Legends: Forerunner Gun Pep WIP (pic heavy (?))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marneon

Hi, this is my first post on the 405th, and I was inspired by the Halo Legends dvd (and the simplicity of the pep) to make the gun used by the forerunner soldiers in Origins. It was modelled by GMer56 and unfolded by WRsing (on the pepakura wiki). I have pepped the handle, bottom section and centre piece of the top section.
Here are some pics of my progress:
405thwippart101.png

405thwippart102.png

405thwippart103.png

405thwippart104.png

And here's the pieces I've done arranged around side piece of the section I ave yet to make:
405thwippart105.png

I may be a bit infrequent with updates, but if I can I will (hopefully). Also, I'm not sure if I'll resin it, or just leave it as pep, because I'm not sure if I have the necessary things, and I'm a bit short on money recently. I hope I will, but I'm not certain.
Status: Finished (with potential improvement work possible)

I'll see your Forerunner gun, and match you with

A Forerunner gun :p

Then i'll raise you with!

A resined Forerunner gun! (Along with some ODST parts thrown in :p)

Thanks Guys, this means a lot to me.
UPDATE:
I've made progress on the top section of the gun, and here are the pictures:
405thwippart201.png

405thwippart202.png

Also, I have a couple of questions:
I'm thinking of making the 'blade' part of the gun but I'm not sure how to mount it. I was thinking of replacing the contact areas with blocks of wood and making slots to slide it into, but I'm not sure if that would work, would it, or is there some easier option.
In origins, the gun seems to have an inner border around the top and bottom sections, and in my opinion that means they are raised, and I was going to put a piece of thick card in that shape over it, but I'm not sure. Is it actually how they are, or am I imagining it?

(sorry about the double post)
UPDATE:
I've made more progress with the top section, and I'm nearing completion of the pepping. Once I've done that I plan to resin it, possibly fiberglass the outside and paint it (I'm thinking about a sort of whitish silver).
Anyway, here are some pics:
405thwippart301.png

405thwippart302.png

And for the main pieces (both top and bottom) I've decided to make raised sections on the inside, to add a bit more 'detail', as it is a really quite basic pep:
405thwippart303.png

405thwippart304.png

There's also something I'm not sure about, as on the connection between the top section and the handle, one edge is longer than the other, so a fold was put in across one of the other bits. I'm not sure if this was intentional, but I've glued it now. Here's a pic to show what I mean:
405thwippart305.png

Pepping the gun was a pain wasn't it? And yea my gun had the same weird fold. It was strange to glue it on correctly.

It wasn't really a pain, but admitably I didn't glue in number order, what I did was work my way around, gluing each side before doing the next one, so the only ones that were actually somewhat hard were the last ones when I couldn't get my fingers inside to push the tabs.

Anyway, I've finished pepping it all and I'm sorting out the raised section for the top part. I hoped to actually resin it, but we don't have any resin, I'm not sure which resin to get or how much it'll cost so I'll probably use some of the varnish or such like from my dad's workshop (would that work?). Once I've done that I plan to spray it black (undercoat) and then paint it a pale silver.

Also, on another note, on this armour (the middle one), how much of it would you say is hard armour, and how much is pattern on a robe. I'm wondering because I've been thinking about trying one of these.

Edit:
Here's some pictures of the finished (pepped) top section, with the raised pieces just laid on it:
hni0003l.jpg

And here's it without the raised pieces
hni0005il.jpg

In place of the resin, I've decided to try using the citadel 'Purity Seal' spray, to harden the pieces, then spray them with a thin layer of black spray and paint over it with a mix of skull white and mithril silver (for those of you who know about citadel paints) and maybe do some details in a darker silver (maybe boltgun metal?).

Unfortunately, when I was gluing it, I was unable to reach one tab, so I've got a slight area of weakness at the inside corner of the 'muzzle', here:
hni0006.jpg

I've also got the handle and lower section drying from the second layer of purity seal spray, so two or three more coats and they should be ready for painting.

Usually resin can run up to $50, I found you can get some at walmart for $15-20. Depending on the size larger cans cost more, small ones are cheap. I use the cheap ones for my stuff, I'd say go with that.

Hope it helps.

~brownie

Aha, yet another Citadel 'fan'(its a love-hate relationship, for those who don't know)! I'd personally recommend adding Citadel's Chainmail color, with a small bit of Mithril Silver for a bit closer match, as just the MS/SW mix may end up too bright. Tex a small batch out first, and see which you like more, lest you get to the end of your painting and decide you don't quite like it. I've had that happen on tanks a few times, and even those are quite a bit smaller than the gun here.

Usually resin can run up to $50, I found you can get some at walmart for $15-20. Depending on the size larger cans cost more, small ones are cheap. I use the cheap ones for my stuff, I'd say go with that.

Hope it helps.

~brownie

Yeah, thanks. But unfortuantely, i live in the UK, so we don't have wal-mart. My dad says that halfords has some, but I'm not sure which of their's I want to use, and the prices vary by the type. But still, thanks.

Also, I'm thinking that I may be able to make the blade of the gun (if my school lets me use the laser cutter), so I'd need a design of it. I've made a rough design, but I was hoping that someone could possibly supply a more detailed design for it. Here's my current design:
gunblade.jpg

(see, it's not exactly 'accurate' is it?)

So, could anyone help?

Thanks, that should help a lot.
I've finished the raised details on one side of the top section, and am ready to give the handle and bottom section their last coat of spray.
Here are a couple of pics:
hni0008d.jpg

hni0007p.jpg

So, that's my progress so far.

(Sorry about the double post again)

Finally found some working white spray to 'undercoat' my finished pieces before painting them. They're out in our 'spraying booth' in the greenhouse so I don't have any pics, but I'll try and get some up soon, OK?

Also, I was hoping to (attempt to) make the entire costume of the forerunners from halo legends, but other than the helmet, there aren't any pep files out there. I have some ideas, but I'm absolutely rubbish at 3d modelling, so I was hoping someone among the mass of talent that is the 405th could help me out by producing a model/pdo?

This is the guy I want to try and do:
combatskinfrontcolourco.jpg

I colour coded the sections I feel are 3d armour pieces, the rest just seem to be patterns on a robe.
Here are my ideas, by colour (see above)
Red: That shape with sloped edges meeting at a single ridge along the top.
Gold: That shape with sloped edges to a flat top in the same shape as the design but smaller.
Green: Just a curved 'sheet' around the area (e.g. Curved around the shoulder for the shoulder piece)

I'll post my idea for the hand piece later on. I hope someone will be able/willing to help me with this.

welcome to the 405th i hope you have a nice stay ,i was thinking about making the forrunner gun the other day :S
nice work!

sonic

Update:
I've undercoated the handle and bottom section of it, and am almost ready to paint with the actual colour of the gun. I chose a white basecoat due to the light/pale nature of the colours I intend to use for it. Here are some pics of the pieces I've sprayed:
hni0030.jpg

hni0031.jpg

hni0033.jpg

I've also been wondering, should I go with my pale silver colour for it, or should I use a sort of cream-ish colour, to suit the style of it in Origins?

(Sorry (once again) about the double post)
Update:
I've completed the raised details for the main section, and have started spraying it white. I used thin corrugated card for the raised sections, and what I did was merely draw around it, place dots on the inside of the corners, joined the points and split the resulting area into reasonably sized sections. Anyway, enough babble, onto pics:
hni0035y.jpg

hni0034.jpg

So, that's my progress so far, I'll post another update once I've fully undercoated the main section, or started painting the lower sections in whatever colour I finally decide on (see above post for options, and please give your opinion, I'm quite stumped about it at the moment).

(Sorry about triple post)
UPDATE:
I've painted and assembled the prop. I'd decided to go with Kyre's suggestion of chainmail and mithril silver (thanks for that) over the whole thing and I have some pics:
hni0036l.jpg

hni0040.jpg

hni0039a.jpg

hni0037n.jpg

So, now it is at a state that can be called 'finished'. I know that the paint is sloppy/patchy but I was probably rushing it a bit, because I'm hoping to start on a helmet soon, but my mum won't let me start one thing without finishing the one before.
What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back