Halo Magnum Resin mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kommissar

Jr Member
Hey all,
not sure if this goes in the noob or creation forums, since i'm a noob on this forum, but i don't feel like a noob to these kind of projects *shrugs* either way, heres my project and progress.

i acquired a resin cast of the halo magnum, quite fond of it, but it's just not comfortable to handle..
so i figured i would adjust this.

for those who don't know, most resin "kits" need abit of work, often airbubbles form in resin and result in you having some nasty areas that need reinforcing or filling before you paint.

pics do not include a small second part that goes on the base of the gun, just in case your wondering

P1050097.jpg

P1050098.jpg

so i went to sanding and cutting a few pieces to get the airbubbles accessible, if you don't do that, the thin resin areas will cave in at some inopportune moment, and you'll be left with something that you would rather leave in your holster and hide, rather than whip it out infront of the public for a photo.. :cool

P1050099.jpg

P1050100.jpg

P1050101.jpg

so on the above photo you can see a lot of the holes i've filled with bondo, most of this is just apply, sand, check for more bubbles or ones missed/not filled properly, and then repeat over.. and over.
till your satisfied.

now as i said, the handle was not comfortable in my hands, the grip was very boxy, and i wanted something that would be a little more form fitting, so in the pictures above, you can see i've slapped on a lot of bondo to build up the grip, and below, i've sanded down the bondo to a level that is more comfortable.

P1050109.jpg

P1050110.jpg

after a few more touch ups on the grip, i plan to add some cross hatch detail and continue with the over all smoothing and reinforcing.
once that's done i'll be obviously painting.

more pics soon,
work + being very picky with shaping oon this project have resulted in very little obvious progress.

P1050129.jpg

WILCO models off ebay is where i got mine,
though he doesn't seem to be selling anymore right now it seems..

at akon they said that the person who made these was on the 501st. so that made me kind of nervous as to who they were, oh well at least we're taking care of ours.

nice job on the detailing, are you going to modify anything else?

at akon they said that the person who made these was on the 501st. so that made me kind of nervous as to who they were, oh well at least we're taking care of ours.

nice job on the detailing, are you going to modify anything else?

Wilco? it would not surprise me at all, he does a large number of different designs, and i would guess that star wars is where he started his business from.

as for my project? well i was not happy with where the safty was located so i cut it off and made my own (you can see it in the last shot)
i'm considering some texture for the grip.. but i'm not sure how to do it precise enough to look good, so i may settle for the handle as is.
(but its soooooo much nicer to hold than the original grip, which just hurt my hands bare handed)
as for other modifications? i'm evening out the laser sight housing on the top, as from down the iron sights, it's slightly crooked, not really noticable unless your insane like me, and i want to try and fix it now, otherwise it will bother me.

i really wanted to add some LED's, but drilling holes into the gun would cause issues with the stability, and i'm not willing to break it.
i've also been considering adding the housing on the bottom, like the Reach version, but that would mean i would be obsessed with changing the rest of the body to match,
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/125/e/2/Halo_Reach_Magnum_by_EnforcedCrowd.png
and as you can see.. they are pretty different, so i think i may just get to painting once ive smoothed out any other tiny details i notice.

Nice B) a quick question..... does the slide actually function? if it does, can it slide(and stay on) if I follow the pep blueprints? thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back