Halo One Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have no idea how to make that out of anything else other then cardboard.... but since u said all that... good luck with that. (y)

I'd imagine that cardstock would work. I see no reason why it wouldn't. If you can make an entire Spartan suit out of it, and from what i've read, portions of an Elite...It seems to me that making the Marine costume out of cardstock would be easy. Although if you wanted to make it more difficult you could always go the matte board or the molding way.

Ares said:
Well I'm attempting it.

Kit List:
-Halo 1 Marine Armor =D
-Gray Jumpsuit
-Boots (I'm using Jump Boots, not just for Halo)
-Weapon

The helmet NEEDS a HUD and a small com...

I have been thinking about doing a halo one armor marine also

here are screen grabs from the halo: combat evolved PC demo

halo1marinearmorfullcircle.jpg

relaxed marine

halo1marinearmorfullcircle2a.jpg

alert marine part 1

halo1marinearmorfullcircle2b.jpg

alert marine part 2. wanted to do as 1 pic, but had to cut it down for photobucket

halo1marinearmorhelmet.jpg

helmet

halo1marinearmorchest.jpg

chest

halo1marinearmorbacknbelt.jpg

backpack, kidney belt armor, hip belt armor and belt buckle armor

halo1marinearmorleftthigh.jpg

left thigh. I chose to only take pics of the left side so there would be no confusion on which one you are looking at.

halo1marinearmorleftforearm.jpg

left forearm. same reason as above for left side

halo1marinearmorbootsnshins.jpg

shin armor and boots

I would love to see some good halo 1 marine armor. The green helmet reticule was just so distinctive, easily identifyable as a halo marine vs other space marines.

hope this pic dump is a help on your project
=Jubal=

Last edited by a moderator:
Ares said:
Well I'm attempting it.

Kit List:
-Halo 1 Marine Armor =D
-Gray Jumpsuit

I think rather than just gray, a closer match for the color might be 'foliage green'. The downside is that I cant find any jumpsuits or bdus in foliage green, so would need to get it sewn.

Ares said:
-Boots (I'm using Jump Boots, not just for Halo)
-Weapon

http://images.wikia.com/halo/images/2/2c/M...oredUniform.jpg

The helmet NEEDS a HUD and a small com...

for the green helmet reticule take a look at this for a place to start http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2006/...glass_love.html

I dont know what the best plastic to use would be, or what a good source is... but there are lots of options...acrylic, lucite, plexiglass, etc. I think a green plastic would be best, then etch a design into it and edge light it with leds to get it to light up.

for the mic you could get a functional walkie talkie or a mic that works with your cellphone.
here is one that would work with my phone, but would need to mod it a bit.http://www.wirelessground.com/plm2ovhe.html

Ares said:
QUESTIONS: Would cardstock work? I'm thinking of doing cardstock and fiberglass and resin.

I think the pep version of the halo one marine leaves some to be desired. I think bungie used good skinning of the marine model to make it look more complicated than its mesh shows.

for mine I would rather stay true to the look, rather than the 3d model.

I haven't worked with cardstock myself, but after looking at some of the galleries, I am always amazed at what people can pull off :)

just throwing some ideas out there
=Jubal=

has anybody pulled out the skin / texture of the green reticule?

it just looks like jibberish, but I would like to see it all.

I guess I could just take a ton of screen shots and attempt to assemble them together, I do have to alt-tab after each shot taken to paste it into photoshop tho

=Jubal=

found some options for green plastic for the viewer

flourescents_small.jpg

$5 each for a 12"x12" acrylic sheets 1/8" thick. not sure if the green (2092) or fluorescent green (2154) would be best. Will need to see it edge lit to know for sure. I will probably just buy one of each and see which suits me best.

I had a thought on constructing this armor, I have some friends who are active in SCA, or medieval reenactment fighting. There are some people in the SCA who use plastic armor for combat with rattan "swords". I am going to track some info down about their armor, see how adaptable this type of armor would be for our purposes here.

=Jubal=

SCA doesn't use plastic armors...I was heavily interested in SCA and LH, they use metal.

Ares said:
SCA doesn't use plastic armors...I was heavily interested in SCA and LH, they use metal.

Many SCA participants use metal, Many use hardened leather, and many of the starting, poorer people use plastic. There is a stigma with using plastic armor among some, due to its inauthenticity.

I know there is some variation from kingdom to kingdom in SCA on the rules. In the areas I have lived the SCA kingdoms have considered plastic armor to be "sport" armor, allowing a combatant to fight for a longer period of time without becoming exhausted. I believe there are some SCA groups that require plastic armor to be disguised (covered in leather or cloth, painted, etc).

http://www.alchemyarmory.com/index.html
http://darkvictory.com/html/catalog.html
http://www.plasticlamellar.com/faq.htm
http://evolution-works.com/Pages/portfolio.htm

I have heard of HDPE, ABS, and Kydex being used for SCA armor

a friend of a friend, that I have yet to meet, is a crafter of plastic SCA armor. if I can get the right phone number for him, I might see what he thinks about working on some Halo one Marine armor. I need to work up patterns for him. Would be nice to have armor that I wasn't scared to sit down in, for fear of crushing it :)
=Jubal=

For the plastic viewer, you don't have to light it unless you will be wearing it during the night. It will look "glowy" during the day if you use the light green. For the lettering, etch the plastic with an exato knife or dremel tip.

Yep.

I'm thinking of making templates of them out of cardstock, strengthening with cardboard then fiberglassing.

so I have been trying to figure out the marines thigh armor area

halo1marinearmorleftthigh.jpg

specifically the area behind the side armor plates, there is raised sections

the halo 1 marine action figure makes this area look like the rest of the armor plates

HALO_FIGURINES_SERIES_3_UNSC_MARINE_1.jpg

but as you can see from the in game screen shots, it looks like its made of fabric, but a bit dirtier.

so if it is fabric are those funky pockets, or what? well I found a possible answer to that today

these aren't a perfect match, but its the first I have seen something like this.
$60 for a pair of shorts is more than I want to spend, but they have inspired me to make something like them.

=Jubal=

If you look at the back of the Marine, you notice that there is a rubbery piece. I have something JUST like that.
Uber cool.

Ares said:
If you look at the back of the Marine, you notice that there is a rubbery piece. I have something JUST like that.
Uber cool.

what part do you mean?

I've encountered a problem with the helmet-I suck hard at cardstock.

So, What would YOU use to make it?

I'm trying to find out what would work =/

Ares said:
I've encountered a problem with the helmet-I suck hard at cardstock.

So, What would YOU use to make it?

I'm trying to find out what would work =/

are you building from scratch, or building on top of an existing helmet? like a skate helmet etc

I went to my local secondhand store and found a skate helmet that should work out ok, spent $2 I think

=Jubal=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back