Halo prop weapons and street legality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cys920622

Are any of you guys taking your prop weapons out on halloween?
there's been a big issue about kids (and adults) with prop weapons that look too realistic to look like toys.
And when the cops see you with a molded, maybe even pep'ed rocket launcher or sniper rifle out on the street... you might end up having real bullet holes in your armor.

is this an issue where you guys live?

toy guns come with neon orange tips so they are not mistaken for real guns. Would it be alright to color the tip of a prop gun orange and walk around with it on halloween?

or you could just run around with covenant weapons like a grav hammer or plasma rifle or something more exotic.

Yeah where I live, I was out airsofting with some friends and we had the cops called on us and they came up to us with their weapons drawn.

They were very serious but after they figured out it was just airsoft they were ok.

We had full scale size and weight replica airsoft rifles and they were like "Oh, crap these even feel real :eek: "

We DID have orange tips too, so jut make sure you check with your lock police department or something first.

Even if they have orange tips they are still concerned about them if they look even a bit real.

Frighteningly enough, your only real recourse here is common sense.

1. Don't point it at people
2. Don't make threats with it
3. Explain to those who ask that it's not real
4. Put the orange tip on it, whether with paint or tape
5. If the Cops show up, follow their instructions ("Don't tase me bro!")

all vey good tips, thanks for your help.

but i think im going with the 'abstract weapon' idea... something that doesnt actually look like a weapon.. like a plasma rifle or plasma pistol... or plasma grenade with LEDs!

Strangely enough this is acually a pretty big issue where I live, a kid got tasered last year cause he was waving a prop weapon around at people.

Deffinatly take Eihorts advice and dont point it at people, and dont make threats. If anything take the AR with you since it doesnt bear a distinct resemblance to anything currently in use and paint the tip of it orange.

Best thing to do if you can is attach it to the back of your armor and walk around with it on your back that way it doesnt look like your brandishing a weapon. If the cops show up DO EVERYTHING THEY SAY! drop the gun and put your hands in the air lay down on the sidewalk if they tell you too. I know it would be humiliating but dont try to argue with them or explain yourself until after they have had a chance to check out your gun and verify it isnt real. If you argue with them and dont comply it is very likely your gonna end up getting tasered and trust me...that is not fun at all

trust me a few mins of humiliation is worth not getting hurt, and on top of it you will have a story to tell us!

or paint lol ive got a molded battlestar galactica pistol =P i had my dad paint the front of it with neon orange =D and i live in a small neighborhood and so no one will care XD

homsar66 said:
if you got tasered, it probably wouldnt go through the armor

LOL that's so true

but then they'll take out their own pistols.

that would definately go through fiberglass.

and you.

do you get in crap if they make you drop your weapon and lay down and all that, and find that it's not real?

do they still charge you for something?

or just let you go on the spot

Last edited by a moderator:
im pretty shure that where i live the cops wouldnt bust you for that. i mean, any cop stupid enough to think that a guy walking around in a halo costume is gonna shoot sombody is kinda lame.

Coming from an airsofter, I would recommend you not to do so no matter where you live. You never know if that old lady next door will freak out and call the cops. Be safe have a fun halloween but please keep the guns out. now an energy sword would be cool but an actual gun could get you into lots of trouble, even with an orange tip.

Yeah. I am from Las Vegas, a place where people can walk around wearing just about anything they want without recourse from the police...even Vegas cops would put your butt on the ground and make you cry like a little girl if they saw you running around with a replica gun. Regardless of the orange safety tip, and not caring about being in full spartan regalia. I've seen Vegas cops put a twelve year old with a pop cap gun on the hood of their car. My recommendation would be that, like others have said, leave the guns out of it.

Eihort said:
Frighteningly enough, your only real recourse here is common sense.

1. Don't point it at people
2. Don't make threats with it
3. Explain to those who ask that it's not real
4. Put the orange tip on it, whether with paint or tape
5. If the Cops show up, follow their instructions ("Don't tase me bro!")

haha!
that was funny

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back