Foam Halo reach commando spartan-III foam build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief1343

This is my first thread where I'll document the best I can how I built my reach commando and why I chose the face of both a blue, and a dirty red.
IMG_20200224_145226_596.jpg

Starting or did you already finish your own Commando build?
I already finished the base build as this is my commando build in the picture though he still needs the props and upgrades such as the tacpad and thigh bag alongside magnets for the magnums that are still in the works! I just wanted to document it since many have asked how I made him really, Ill see to update this thread later today hopefully

I already finished the base build as this is my commando build in the picture though he still needs the props and upgrades such as the tacpad and thigh bag alongside magnets for the magnums that are still in the works! I just wanted to document it since many have asked how I made him really, Ill see to update this thread later today hopefully
Good high quality work. Very interested in how you attract the magnets and make the tacpad as well as the thigh bag

Alright so I decided to redo my thigh guards and replace the current ones since the first ones didn't round quite the way their meant to and go more like a cylinder than rounded so here's the first one as I used the pepakura files and heavily modified them so those seams didn't show up and it fits me properly though it isn't done
20200309_194618.jpg
20200309_194639.jpg
20200309_194623.jpg

Finally got around to building a pair of boots to go over my boots, I used the pepakura file of the boot instead of the one meant for foam here on the armory since it was a bit innacurate to the detail of the boot itself free handing a bit in the front area for the lines going down. Then I found out after building that they were to short to fit my boots but they fit my other shoes perfectly allongside allowing me to have that flex when I walk. Once their caulked and sealed its off to painting them red and black.
20200520_191713.jpg
20200520_191813.jpg

Update time! So I woke up one day and decided to look at my helmet, what did I see? The mouth piece was crooked and had seam lines that were way too noticeable. So I ripped it out, luckily enough I used hot glue so it was a careful rip that didnt end up tearing anything else around the mouth piece
20200610_213017.jpg
20200610_212454_HDR.jpg

So I painted up the boots but was having trouble figuring out attachments, and still look to size. Then my sister suggested to glue them on to a pair of old shoes I had and since they were still in good condition I went with it and it actually worked! I glued the foam boot to the lower edge of the shoes thats rubber like with some hotglue and then painted the rubber area black, to ensure it doesnt pop any seams I covered it up with hot glue in the corners where it cant be seen to keep those seams from popping up.
20200619_191826_HDR.jpg
20200619_191844.jpg

Got the yellow and black strip marks painted on the boots but didnt realize that there is indeed 4 yellow stripes and 5 black stripes right after I painted them on. The masking was so tedious for these stripes but I lile the finishing results that will need some weathering for sure.
Screenshot_20200621-113622.png
20200621_102559_HDR.jpg

Now my first commando shoulder was too big but served me well, but had to retire it to make a sizable one. I shall remember thee shoulder but your time is up, so I cut it out but had to mod and free hand the corners under the panel for foam since I did want accuracy but it was too many curve ins for me to handle and here is the finishing result. I also made a straight bevel inside the lower section and bent it since in game it isnt flat but curved.
20200621_101803_HDR.jpg
20200621_101948.jpg
20200603_102619_HDR.jpg

I decided to also remake the neck armor that wraps around the top of the chest, because since I thought maybe making it out that thin foam craft sheets would give me more flexibility but wasnt a great idea. It also was way too thin since the neck is clearly a lot thicker, once its sealed and painted ill be off to gluing it in place.
20200621_102116.jpg
20200621_102315_HDR.jpg

20200621_102342.jpg
20200621_102416_HDR.jpg
t Sheathe finally made, I put a buckle in the back of it and carved a hole in to the chest piece so it keeps it from moving around. The clip isn't too tight so I will be adding in another clip to ensure that its properly secured in place.

Time for an update, so I asked my brother if he could do me a favor and 3d print me a knife for the sheathe, since I have yet to try 3d printing myself and here it is! Sadly he used abs and it elevated bending the tip of the knife, but with a heat gun managed to make it straight again. I basically heated it up from both sides and then held it with a glove straight, it did leave indents but I don't plan on taking it out of its sheathe a lot but it fits perfectly.
20200630_101741.jpg
20200630_101801.jpg

Finally built the chest attachments, the bag and radio using 2mm foam for the details and flaps to open and close the bags. Alongsidew adding velcro to open and close the bags and a light up screen using leds for the radios panel.They do need a bit of clean up but Im overall really happy with how the came out.
20200728_180255_HDR.jpg
20200728_152549_HDR.jpg

Managed to apply the sheathe to the chest piece making a hole in the oval detail the reach chest piece has, and inserting a clip holding the knife in place. I later on made another cut on top of the oval and glued velcro to further ensure that the knife will hold up in place since the knife dragged it down going upward hitting my helmet too much.
20200807_153406_HDR.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back