1st Build Halo Reach Foam Build (Complete)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got this done today. I added some details to it that weren't on it before spraying. Also added another layer for stability that is not pictured.

Heard a massive 'rip' then later found out what it was. Hopefully that doesn't happen again :eek:

I will attempt to add lights to this before I go on to priming the other chest piece that I made that was not as detailed.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 7.26.56 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 7.26.52 PM.jpeg

Psssst I would add lights after painting is done.
Less masking to do, also super clean build

Nice work on the cuts. What kind of blade do you use?
I use one of those craft hobby knives with #11 blades. Nothing special. I don't know how it would be done with box cutters. The work I see done with those are incredible.

I'm not sure how long these will last for me to walk in but they fit on my boots. I could have made the front part wider as they don't fit flat on the sides (it is pushing out a bit). I'm okay with it though for now at least.

Ngl realllllly fighting an urge to re-do some old pieces but I'm going to stay strong and not do anything.

I found myself already making new stencils for the chest.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-22 at 7.08.43 PM.jpeg

Edit: Typo

I got around to doing a base coat of paint on these pieces.

Painting is fun!

I also patched up the sacrificial boots with some spackle, and then used plastidip again before painting. They seem to be good. I've noticed some unintentional rough spots after painting. I wonder if I can fill those in after this base paint of paint dries? :unsure: Not sure if it is even necessary.

Image.jpeg
222.jpeg

Edit: Clarity

I managed to paint this today. I painted the parts that are taped black before painting the rest. I got scared because it looked really bad, I tried to sponge it up then paint over and it then got better.

Also, painting the parts black didn't seem to make a big difference from when it was black from plastidip. I guess next is doing 'silver' streaks for battle damage then 'black washing' it...(?).

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-14 at 3.20.38 PM.jpeg

I thought I updated this but apparently I didn't.

Long story short - I painted everything and didn't go so well because I was following the action figure I have from the Reach era. Lo and behold the action figure is not represented consistently online, nor is it comparable to the game model. So my build is an approximation at best but I'm happy with that. Also I learned there are higher res unfolds (???).

This is before I re-did the painting. I had used too much silver with dry brushing, and the way I attempted blackwashing was not the best. I was trying to match the helmet but didn't get close enough at all IMO.

old.jpeg

Here is what is what I was able to do this time around.

I painted some new pieces I made black first (ty PlanetAlexander ), then with slate.

Everything else that was not remade, I merely coated with slate again.

After that I tried my hand at airbrushing with a cheap air brush kit. I had a short tutorial from a friend not on this forum, and some tips from another cosplayer online. I got a lot of pointers after harassing a few of you (RandomRanger Rock Lobbster NobleofDeath16 ). I got better after a mere few hours but there is much more room to improve.

I tried to 'shade' and contour some edges - this is hard to do for me. Very crooked in some spots. I was suggested that I could use this same color as a secondary so I rolled with it. I also used this same color to make windows look 'grimey' (?). I will have to touch up a little bit with a few spots I missed. I did not shade a lot on the chest piece.

biceps.jpeg
calves.jpeg
thighs.jpeg
forearm.jpeg
boots.jpeg
chest.jpeg

The next step is adding very minimal titanium silver with a dry brush, and then blackwashing it which scares the hell out of me :eek:

Here is what is what I was able to do this time around.

I painted some new pieces I made black first (ty PlanetAlexander ), then with slate.

Everything else that was not remade, I merely coated with slate again.

After that I tried my hand at airbrushing with a cheap air brush kit. I had a short tutorial from a friend not on this forum, and some tips from another cosplayer online. I got a lot of pointers after harassing a few of you (RandomRanger Rock Lobbster NobleofDeath16 ). I got better after a mere few hours but there is much more room to improve.

I tried to 'shade' and contour some edges - this is hard to do for me. Very crooked in some spots. I was suggested that I could use this same color as a secondary so I rolled with it. I also used this same color to make windows look 'grimey' (?). I will have to touch up a little bit with a few spots I missed. I did not shade a lot on the chest piece.

View attachment 307141 View attachment 307142 View attachment 307143 View attachment 307144View attachment 307145 View attachment 307146

The next step is adding very minimal titanium silver with a dry brush, and then blackwashing it which scares the hell out of me :eek:
looks great!

I thought I updated this but apparently I didn't.

Long story short - I painted everything and didn't go so well because I was following the action figure I have from the Reach era. Lo and behold the action figure is not represented consistently online, nor is it comparable to the game model. So my build is an approximation at best but I'm happy with that. Also I learned there are higher res unfolds (???).

This is before I re-did the painting. I had used too much silver with dry brushing, and the way I attempted blackwashing was not the best. I was trying to match the helmet but didn't get close enough at all IMO.

View attachment 307140
While there is such a thing as over weathering, I kinda like how this came out! I feel like it’s hard to over weather reach armor because the game models look so grimey especially the lower half. Tbf weathering was new territory on my last reach suit and I spent hours looking at reference images and adding layers of black wash a little at a time until I felt comfortable to just wreck the pieces. Take it slow you’ll find what works for you!

While there is such a thing as over weathering, I kinda like how this came out! I feel like it’s hard to over weather reach armor because the game models look so grimey especially the lower half. Tbf weathering was new territory on my last reach suit and I spent hours looking at reference images and adding layers of black wash a little at a time until I felt comfortable to just wreck the pieces. Take it slow you’ll find what works for you!
Thanks for the feedback and tips. I liked how it was coming out too initially. I will take it it slow on the blackwashing part . Thank you ZettaiKagerou!

I can't wait to see your suit up pictures.
Thank you I am going to try it all on and post some stuff. Need someone to help me put it all on. I can only do all of the lower, or the upper body with only one arm equipped. :lol:

I appreciate the support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back