Halo Reach Jetpack Test File

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaloGoddess

I DO have permission from xhimpei to release this file so nobody start flippin out on me. :p

Since xhimpei's jetpack model IS pretty beast, to pep it and only to find out it's NOT the size you need it to be, I have taken it upon myself to take his file and turn it into a test file. This IS still his original model. All I did was take out as much detail as possible to make this a quick and easy pep for sizing purposes.

I remember reading in another thread that someone was hoping to have a test file for the jetpack and since I know how to edit models in Blender, I went ahead and did just that. :)

xhmpei's jetpack thread can be found here:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/29641-WIP-Jetpack-3D

Here are some shots to show you what the test file looks like:

6gie4z.jpg

x5clyq.jpg

mhghso.jpg

9ppfgm.jpg

You will see that A LOT Of things were taken out. I focused on the areas that attach to the chestplate so that is why the "jets" on the side were removed along with a lot of other parts. This is a very low def file and because I am unsure as to how big to make it, I scaled it the same as xhimpei's model with a height of 618mm.

I know that there are probably a few people happy to have this since you will now be able to build this, figure out the size you need and then you can tackle xhimpei's file. :)

Credit belongs to: Xhimpei
Test file edited by: HaloGoddess

Enjoy everyone! :D

Download the jetpack test file here:
http://www.4shared.com/file/fRnt3nOv/JetpackTestFile.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think the extra stuff could be added to the low def tester file, so that people can basically build a low poly version of the jetpack and add thier own detail to the file with something such as foam or sculpty.

Do you think the extra stuff could be added to the low def tester file, so that people can basically build a low poly version of the jetpack and add thier own detail to the file with something such as foam or sculpty.

It's possible, but that would mean starting all over again with taking the original and editing it to do so. Also, I would have to ask xhimpei for permission to do that as well. Since he put a lot of work into the file, I'm not going to just go ahead and do whatever I want. :p

i think this tester file could also be used to build it out of foam then add the details later

Started working on this today, but to save money I'm just using ordinary letter paper. Let's see how ut comes out. It us only for size after all.

dont even bother with letter paper you are just going to waste your time

If he is just doing it to check for sizing purposes, I see no reason why normal letter paper would matter. It's not like he will be hardening that. True that the letter paper will be a little more flimsy, but it will still help get the sizing so he knows what to do when he starts the final build. :p

Like HaloGoddess said, as it's only for sizing purposes with no intent to harden it letter paper is perfect. Why waste expensive cardstock to just make a sizing prototype which you intend to throw away afterwards? If you use minimal white glue assembly is also extremely fast as it sets almost instantly with minimum warpage. Here's my first WIP shot, hopefully I'll have the whole left hand side finished this evening!

5714224421_a2e13c0548_m_d.jpg

Edit - After a slow evening of work (watching Angels & Daemons followed by Doom does not make for a totally productive evening :p) I have almost finished the left side and while it doesn't have the strength of using cardstock it certainly provides enough strength to test the size I need (which it seems is probably going to be the default!)

5715308506_9ef1f71530_m_d.jpg

On a side note this has to be quite possibly the hardest pep I've ever done (although I haven't done much and choice of material probably doesn't help!), and while I certainly look forward to doing the actual jetpack, there is now a certain amount of trepidation in my mind about whether this was my smartest choice for my first real pep in Canada. My only other pep being the start of an ODST helmet while I still lived in the UK. Ah well, it would have to be done at some point and is there anything cooler than the jetpack? I look forward especially to making it "work"!

Like HaloGoddess said, as it's only for sizing purposes with no intent to harden it letter paper is perfect. Why waste expensive cardstock to just make a sizing prototype which you intend to throw away afterwards? If you use minimal white glue assembly is also extremely fast as it sets almost instantly with minimum warpage. Here's my first WIP shot, hopefully I'll have the whole left hand side finished this evening!

5714224421_a2e13c0548_m_d.jpg

Edit - After a slow evening of work (watching Angels & Daemons followed by Doom does not make for a totally productive evening :p) I have almost finished the left side and while it doesn't have the strength of using cardstock it certainly provides enough strength to test the size I need (which it seems is probably going to be the default!)

5715308506_9ef1f71530_m_d.jpg

On a side note this has to be quite possibly the hardest pep I've ever done (although I haven't done much and choice of material probably doesn't help!), and while I certainly look forward to doing the actual jetpack, there is now a certain amount of trepidation in my mind about whether this was my smartest choice for my first real pep in Canada. My only other pep being the start of an ODST helmet while I still lived in the UK. Ah well, it would have to be done at some point and is there anything cooler than the jetpack? I look forward especially to making it "work"!

There is a lot of fear to making things work for you always worry about sizing and such and making mistakes on the finer details of the Pack. But i say this to you, steadiness is much more important than speed, take your time and when you see your tester fit then when you start seeing the actual jetpack fit any trepidation should vanish, I wish you luck my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back