Halo Reach ODST armor build - Andrew DFT template (NOW PICTURE HEAVY!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zigzwag

Okay, So, I am super excited to finally be able to debut this armor to everyone! It was a super exciting build (Even though time constraints were short, I think it came out more then beautifully!

So, here we go.

For the Armor I used Andrew DFT's Halo reach ODST templates. I would have preferred to use templates that I made myself, however, I ran into a bit of a time crunch when the Con I was going to be attending was happening a LOT sooner then I had originally thought. I knew I wanted to build armor this year, and Andrew DFT, and his very informative, VERY helpful tutorials really helped me through in this project, and REALLY got me hooked on the idea of building armor. I really can't wait to find out what I am going to build next.

I completed this build in 2 weeks from start to finish, I had to build three complete sets in that time frame, one for me, and two for family and family friends. So there are some instences in the armor that might show through as not being quite as sharp or as perfect as I would prefer.

This was also my first attempt at ever building a rifle prop from scratch, Designing my own templates and building it using the materials I had on hand!

So without further adieu I give you my ODST build!
ltLVarU.jpg
R4qpaAO.jpg
HzpYhUz.jpg

There were things I had to modify on the DFT design in order to make it fit me in the torso, shoulders, and knees. But other than that it fit's pretty well!

I designed the backpack out of a Garbage can that I got from staples, and it's attached to my back with buckles. It is a completely functional backpack, and was very useful to me throughout the entire convention holding things like my water bottle, (Even though I needed someones help to get at it!)

Anyways, I am open to critiques. And always looking for ways to grow as a creator. I can't wait to start on another project in the future!

(As per some of the comment's requests here are a few more pictures of the ODST build's Just a side note I am not a professional photographer, all pictures were taken on my Cellphone! And credit goes to all other photographers who took their pictures of us!)

8MbwBrS.jpg
(Obligitory paid/photoshoped con photo)

SW8sv0c.jpg
- this was a picture from the Costume Contest (Which was so much fun to be a part of for the first time.) even if they played Disney tromping through the forest music instead of the pre mixed audio I gave them... If there is one thing that I want to change/modify with this armor, it would be that I want to re-do the thigh plates, I found the DFT template, while very easy to follow, and well detailed was VERY VERY small. I would like to either rebuild the thighs using templates that I will create on my own, or remake these ones and make them longer so that they cover up more of the under suite (Rothco BDU)
x7GM8Zr.jpg
-a picture of me and my squad mate! (armor made by me templated by DFT)
asCX1Sc.jpg
Lastly is my squad mate and her girlfriend in over-watch positions defending that bus stop from the Covenant

Next, there were some who wanted some Extra pictures of the Sniper rifle that I scratch built and templated myself! I have to say I am super proud of my very first prop basically ever.
otCzuek.jpg
-A picture of the sniper rifle next to Andrew DFT's suppressed SMG with a .50cal inert bullet for scale. The magazine is removable with three (VERY WEAK) magnets, if I built it again I'd try and find stronger ones to help keep the magazine from falling out.

And lastly, some of you wanted pictures of the Backpack, I have some progress images of the backpack, but this is basicially the breakdown. bought a squarish garbage can, cut it in half glued it back together on a much slimmer profile, added EVA foam and buckles. paint/weather and attach!
XxUqH7c.jpg
-garbage can in it's natural form ($7CAD) from Staples
xlAtPn9.jpg
-Eva added for shape (I know it's not exact, but I was on a VERY VERY short dedline remember 2 weeks total build time!)
JSSwlrM.jpg
added a lid!
o92W2x2.jpg
-added the straps, paint weather and attach to the armor (Fit's like a glove right onto the backplate of DFT's build!)
beGR1Fl.jpg
-In this image you can see how I built the hinges. I used Nylon strapping held on with Hot glue, and a strip of EVA to help give it a little bit extra strength.
Z2HZq9u.jpg
-And lastly, a look inside, 500ml empty bottle of Coke for scale! There isn't a whole lot of room inside but it is more than enough for the essentials. However, seeing that it attached directly to the back of the armor, you will either need to take the entire chest plate off, or go with a squad mate and have them access the backpack for you if you need anything.
- I was a little bit concerned with the strapping falling off, however, this was able to hold a full 1 liter bottle of water, a bottle of coke and two monster energy drinks inside it for hours without fail.

Anyways, if you have any further questions please feel free to ask, I am still learning, and I am always open to critisism and Idea's in order to help improve my craft! and I hope that I can help anyone improve theirs!

Keep building!

Zig!

Re: Halo Reach ODST armor build - Andrew DFT template

from what I see....the suit looks fantastic. Post more pic so we can see the rest of it.

I concur! The suit looks awesome, show us more!!! And I would personally love to see this functional ODST garbage can backpack!

I would like more pics of the weapon........I'll leave the garbage can for Schankerz....:D

I agree what you've showed us was just a teaser. Really like the picture over looking the water it's perfect with the haze and the overcast...... Like everyone else has said looks great from what I can see. Would like to see more

What 2 weeks,well done!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I want to thank everyone for the compliments! Though I really just followed a Template for the most part. My next suit will definitely be scratch built! I want to see now that I have a base knowledge of how to do it, I want to see just how far I can really take this hobby of mine! (hopefully next time I will have MORE time lol)

Pictures are added to initial post as per request from the comments!

If you dont mind what kind of adhesive did you used to glued the eva to the trash can ? :)

Envoyé de mon SM-G530W en utilisant Tapatalk

I love it!!
Did you download templates for the Rifle or is it all freehand? I really want to try one for myself :O

The back pack is GENIUS!!! Great job on material adaptation. I'll have to keep this trick in mind for my next suit. Great job. Fantastic!!.

The back pack is GENIUS!!! Great job on material adaptation. I'll have to keep this trick in mind for my next suit. Great job. Fantastic!!.

I told you the backpack was awesome! If I ever do an ODST or am in need of a garbage can shaped backpack prop I'll be giving this a shot!

ChaoticRay,VanessaSelden,PaiganBoi, Guys, just be mindful of the dates to which you are responding to. The last posting was back in November. Necro posting is frowned upon here. It tends to push more recent and active threads down the list. If the author revives the thread or keeps it updated....by all means, comment away. If you have a question on an old thread.....PM the author directly. Thanks guys....Welcome to the 405th.

I am sorry that I am adding into the Necro posting here, but I wanted to just come in and say thank you to everyone who likes the work I did, I am actually surprised that the Trashcan backpack is getting as much attention as it is. To be honest it was one of those "this will do" moments when I didn't have time to make something more accurate lol.

The backpack and EVA foam was just attached using Hot glue. It is still holding strong, however the buckles have since failed when I tried to wear it with too much equipment underneath (Cold day to many layers sort of thing). Lots of ways to improve the design in the next iteration if need be.

As for some of the other things that were posted on the comments I guess I can answer them now.

Rifle templates were created from an image I found online, Unfortunately I only made one copy of them. But it was all hand created by me.

The Helmet I actually purchased from someone off Etsy, unfortunately I believe that the person doesn't have an Etsy page anymore. Though there are still a Large number of people with very nice designs for helmets there if you wanted to go that route.

I will try to be more active on this page then I had been before. and I already have many different idea's on things to create in the future! Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any further questions and I will do what I can to answer them in a timely manner!

That is amazing. I assume that your armor is based of Romeo from ODST but in a Reach type or version or you just have the secondary color and the weapon based off him? Either way it is pretty good. The ODST armor and formats are one of my favorite variants throughout the series, kinda frustrated when they took it out in 5. Are you going to add a fore arm attatchment, knee guards, thigh attachment?

zigzwag, its your thread....if anyone is allowed to necro-post it would be the author......which is you. No apologies necessary, but the new recruits need to know the dos and dont's of the forum. But like they said...and I said it before as well.....the trashcan back pack is inspiring.

That is amazing. I assume that your armor is based of Romeo from ODST but in a Reach type or version or you just have the secondary color and the weapon based off him? Either way it is pretty good. The ODST armor and formats are one of my favorite variants throughout the series, kinda frustrated when they took it out in 5. Are you going to add a fore arm attatchment, knee guards, thigh attachment?

Romeo was always one of my favorite characters in that series, but I would have to say that this more or less panned out based on what colour spray paints I had laying around more so then any actual basis on character. That and the blue really causes the black to pop out all the more. As for the plans going forward, I think that If I were to revisit parts of this, I would more than likely decide to do a complete rebuild using my own templates. The Andrew DFT ones are a great starting point, and I would totally recommend to anyone looking to get into armor building to give them a try! but I think that I would feel much more accomplished having built something of my own from scratch. As of right now I don't have plans to update this one, but who knows. In the future, if the inspiration hits I could definitely revisit it in the future!

As for right now, it's time to think about what the next project is going to be :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back