Hand Armor Sculpt - Rough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam

Forum Founder
Member DIN
S800
What's a good way to smooth this out, eh sculpting kings?

70fb938f07.jpg

ff5154393f.jpg

If its OIL BASED CLAY you can use mineral spirits or paint thinner with a paint brush. It melts the clay slightly to smooth it up. If its WATER BASED then use water and a paint brush. Fine hair paint brushes work best. But you'll still have to do some sanding when its casted.

This is about as smooth as it gets in clay form.
hand.jpg

its funny how the first posts do even answer , or make an attempt, the question. O now im off topic :( umm gasoline works XD well it gets paint off of brushes like mineral spirits and paint thiner is suppose to do, gas is kinda expensive and who would do that anyways :roll:

BlueRealm said:
If its OIL BASED CLAY you can use mineral spirits or paint thinner with a paint brush. It melts the clay slightly to smooth it up. If its WATER BASED then use water and a paint brush. Fine hair paint brushes work best. But you'll still have to do some sanding when its casted.

This is about as smooth as it gets in clay form.
hand.jpg

awesome man. looks good. I'll definitely have to get some mineral spirts and paintbrushes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not familliar with working on clay, but once its dry couldnt you spray it with sanding primer, and some sanding sponges. If you could it would come out really smooth!

I'll second Blue Realms suggestion. The best thing for smoothing oil based clay is paint thinner. You can use a brush or smooth sponge to lightly swab the surface, and as the solvent dissolves the top layer, wipe it away to smooth it out.

I've been using solvent on oil based clay for years to help smooth out my surfaces to a polish for bronze casting. This is pretty much the accepted way to do it.

5a5797e8f6.jpg

First cast. I'm keeping my design. At least I'll know which ones I made. Not bad. :Steve:

too bad I ran out of plastic :-(

time to purchase more I guess. Might as well get the plastic for my ODST helmet too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back