Happy Cosmos day 405th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serin

Seriously!
As a huge supporter of the scientific method and of.. you know... Facts, I love that Fox of all networks has put so much effort into such an important piece of scientific communication and education!

Anyone else out there watching/planning to watch?
I think Sagan would proud :D

So, for those out there who are interested in the Cosmos at large, what is your favourite cosmological phenomena?

After watching the first episode, I cannot wait for the rest of the series. My favorite phenomena are Nebulae.

Favorite "cosmological phenomena?" The M51 spiral galaxy "crucifix" photographed by the Hubble space telescope. I know some people may chalk it up to "Rorschach-esque interpretation," but it still serves as a none-too subtle reminder that there are those who look to the stars, and those who look to the One who made those stars. And if I may I'd like to leave it at that as this is a forum for sharing and discussing costume and prop making techniques, designs, templates, prokects, and other such material.

In the spirit of not getting in trouble, yes indeed.
I suppose it matters not what we individually make of the beauty out there, all I really care about is that it's damn beautiful!
Dat Universe!

I think my favourite cosmological thing out there is probably stellar nurseries, or 'molecular clouds' if one wishes to be technical.
If I were to amend Sagan's famous "Star Stuff" quote I'd probably have to add that that which made us was itself made in a cosmologically grand scale!

My favorite phenomena still has to be the Eagle Nebula. I remember seeing it for the first time in middle school science class and just being blown away.

Favorite "cosmological phenomena?" The M51 spiral galaxy "crucifix" photographed by the Hubble space telescope.

Just curious Zaff, did you first see the M-51 crucifix on Indescribable with Louie Giglio? I'd highly recommend that video it to anyone, no matter where you believe we came from.

love the show were in a bubble in a water fall. and the fact there might be 1 billon other races out there.

Oh the bubbles! Yeah!
If I'm not mistaken that's a reference to one of the more supported theories that result from Super-string theory.
The idea is that our entire universe is stuck to the surface of this bubble(Hilariously named a "P-Brane").
Another theory that arose from this field of study was how our universe may have been created, basically the idea goes that the big bang was a result of two said Branes colliding and intersecting.
Unfortunately, testing these theories, if the energy equations are right, would take an particle collider the circumference of our entire galaxy.

As for life out there, yeah, the possibilities are just amazing! :D

There is tons proof that the big band did not happen and that there is a Creator. Also, if they're were other species then Jesus would have to go to each of their planets and die there too. Very unlikely if you ask me.

I've tried to be respectful of peoples beliefs here... but please, for the sake of civil conversation keep your religion out of this post.
There are thousands of religious folks working in scientific fields, including string theory, so please, if you don't understand what science is do me the favour of keeping it to yourself.

No, I won't.
This is going to turn into a sh*tfest that Admin is going to have to worry about, and frankly I'm not interested in incurring their wrath or wasting their time.
Like I said, I'm not here to debate religious people, or any people!

same, we have are points but none of us want to talk about them on here, plus I've got to say I like the way they put it in a cartoon/ anime way of story telling.

same, we have are points but none of us want to talk about them on here, plus I've got to say I like the way they put it in a cartoon/ anime way of story telling.

Mmm, it was a curious move, one I wasn't sure about in the previews but I think it really allowed for some cool stuff like when Bruno was flying through the Cosmos in his mind.

firing arrow hits wall and fire again, way the galaxy was kinda like us now. plus if you look at it the way I am (the halo way.) the pecursers are just on galaxy away. and the forerunners might be the same.

S323 said:
Just curious Zaff, did you first see the M-51 crucifix on Indescribable with Louie Giglio? I'd highly recommend that video it to anyone, no matter where you believe we came from.

Indeed I did. And like you, I would recommend this film to anyone open-minded enough to understand that science, at it's core, is about understanding truth, not about disproving religion.

Oh, and Phil, please, dial it back a few (dozen) notches, eh? I get it. I'm both a Christian and a scientifically-minded individual, and I get where you're coming from. The "Big Bang" is scientifically impossible, as before it there was nothing, and fundamental scientific law states that for something to happen, there must be at least two elements (matter, energy, etc.) that react to one another to make whatever happens, well, happen. You're not alone in this, but this is not the place to make a stand. If you wish to have a debate with Serin over private messaging or elsewhere off-site, you're welcome to try, but here in the forums is not the place for it. I do agree that it feels like a double standard (not just in forums but in society in general) that people are allowed to openly discuss "anti-religion" in any manner they wish and make subtle (and not so subtle) digs at the religious (I must be honest, Serin, the "I believe in, you know, FACTS" opening line did ruffle the feathers, so to speak), and yet anyone who tries to speak freely about their beliefs, regardless of what perspective they come from (i.e. "Christianity explained for the scientifically minded), they are looked down on, punished as "starting potential flame wars," or unceremoniously tossed out. But again, this isn't the place to grandstand on that.

Just to clear, Zaff, I've really not got a problem with religion, or people who believe.
What I do take issue with is people who think that somehow science is a threat to their personal faith.
If you personally look at science as how we understand what your god did to create this universe then I'm cool with that! Like I said, some of the greatest scientific minds in Human history were Christians, Muslims, Buddhist et etc.
For me, it's not about who or why... It's about how everything came into existence.
Science, like you said, doesn't disprove god or gods or some form of creator, it doesn't work like that, it can't prove a negative.
All it does is help us to understand the physical universe through our limited senses and our brains.

I tend to leave religious vs science debates to qualified individuals who seem to enjoy debating it.
I personally would much rather that all people, no matter their personal beliefs just got on with life and exploration and love.

My little opening about facts is not a dig at anyone, it's simply stating that I enjoy *scientific* facts about the universe.
There are facts out there, and if I believed in a deity I would certainly not believe in one that made our brains so incredibly capable and then curtailed our 'rights' to use it to explore our existence.

I do apologise if that's not been the perception and given that little tiff we had a few months back it's understandable, but just to make it clear, I'm still not going to partake in a debate here.

Oh, and just in case I forget, as for 'something from nothing' debate.
I mentioned string theory earlier, it's one of a few different theories for finally creating a theory to bridge both the quantum world and the world of gravity.
An interesting by-product of this theory is that the 'nothing' may perhaps not be nothing after all, A foam of bubbly universes floating through some almost unimaginably amazing multiversal sea.

Science just doesn't know, but maybe some day we will.
There is so much we don't understand, and so much more we have to learn.
That's where I find my wonder and joy in the universe.
The unknown.

I have always been of the mind that science is just the progression of what we do not know about the universe. If one takes an objective look back over the history of scientific "fact," more often than not what we knew to be true was proven completely untrue a millennium, a century, or even just a decade later by someone who refused to just blindly except something as fact just because it came from a guy wearing a white lab coat.

And when comes to the origin of all things, true science has not, and can not, give an answer, as true science requires something that can be observed, as well as recreated and repeated in a controlled environment. Which means at some point mankind will simply have to admit that there are some things we simply cannot know for sure. We must take them on faith.

Now, with that comment about not being able to believe in a deity that "restricts" our right to learn, explore, and understand, well I have to say wouldn't a deity capable of creating an entire universe as well as the very concepts of space and time, all through the power of his/her/its spoken word be, by his/her/its very nature, a being whose every capacity is far beyond anything we, mere mortals, are capable of grasping, much less replicating on our own? So it's not really a "restriction of rights" so much as "understanding and accepting our limits." I mean even with our science it is an entirely imperfect process because no matter what information any system, machine, program, or other such tool delivers to us will still have to be filtered through our limited capacity for understanding what exactly it is we are seeing. It certainly wouldn't be the first time and most definitely won't be the last time that we made an assumption based on what we observed, ran with it for years and mocked anyone who denied it, only to find out later that it was completely and utterly misunderstood and misrepresented. Let's face it, for centuries we thought the world was flat and "proved" it by the simple logic that unless it is properly balanced, anything placed on a surface that is not flat is liable to slide, roll, or simply fall off, and since we're all still standing here and our houses haven't toppled over, the world simply must be flat and to believe otherwise is pure nonsense. "Scientifically speaking," the "flat Earth" theory was entirely sound and proven according to what mankind knew of the world. These days we look back and think "what simple-minded fools to not grasp such fundamental concepts as gravity and centripetal force that keep us from tumbling off or being flung into space." How many years from now will mankind look back on what we "know" now and say "what simple-minded fools" as well?

Just some food for thought. Not trying to hijack the thread. I'm trying to keep this more about science and the pros and cons thereof, but even so that's not truly the topic upon which this thread is based.

Hmmmmmm...
Boy1.jpg

Unfortunatly, it only premieres here on the 16th, on Nat Geo. Looking forward to it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back