Have A Question? Dont Bother With A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe check a 3D modelling forum, like a Google Sketchup one...?

This is a costuming forum, on Halo.

Your question is about 3D and Star Wars...

Hey guys, I'm just getting started, and I need some info. I haven't been able to find a cheap dremel that would work for these projects. Can you recommend one for under $30?. Also, can the dremel also be used for sanding, or would buying a separate mouse sander be better? If so, how much do those go for at cheapest? Thanks for the oncoming help, hope you get to see my work sometime this summer.

IronCostumer said:
Hey guys, I'm just getting started, and I need some info. I haven't been able to find a cheap dremel that would work for these projects. Can you recommend one for under $30?. Also, can the dremel also be used for sanding, or would buying a separate mouse sander be better? If so, how much do those go for at cheapest? Thanks for the oncoming help, hope you get to see my work sometime this summer.

Walmart has a pretty good Black and Decker RTX? dremel for $25. It doesn't have many accessories but it can use the dremel brand kits that are cheap as well. If you have a Harbor Freight near you they sell a mouse type sander for $12. I have one and its TERRIFIC, it uses hook and loop paper thats like $4 a stack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, this is my first post and I'm glad I don't have to make a thread for this. Well anyway, for Pepakura armoring method, is it alright if I use a high temp hot glue gun instead of a low temp? Also, should I not be making an MA5B as my first Pepakura model? Is it too difficult? Thanks.

I use a hot glue gun. There really isn't any problem with it, you'll just burn your fingers a little more often, that's all. And a lot of the more senior veterans on the site will say that building any weapon using the traditional Pep method is too hard, especially for your first project. You might want to try one of the sliced models if you want to stick with a weapon, BUT it ultimately comes down to what you're most comfortable with.

Oh, and welcome to the 405th.

Mal

Oh gosh, all that cutting for nothing! I thought I was getting into something way over my head after seeing how many tiny pieces there were. I'll try something a little more noob-friendly. Thanks Mal, you saved me a lot of frustration! I'll try something easier.

yeah fairly new here and have been wondering how do y'all make or where do you find those pictures at the bottom of your posts. d you use photo shop or some other program?

and I've been trying to make a new avatar pic but it wont support the pictures i upload any suggestions for what i should do? I usually save as pictures I've pasted in word documents and try to upload them but it hasn't been working.

Is this what it normally looks like when fiberglassing? I keep thinking I'm going about this wrong. It's messy of course, but the resin is about 1/4 in thick. Is that right?

Resining001.jpg

Dizzerak said:
Is this what it normally looks like when fiberglassing? I keep thinking I'm going about this wrong. It's messy of course, but the resin is about 1/4 in thick. Is that right?

Yep, that's how it should look like, although the resin pooled a bit at the bottom, which is to be expected if you put in too much of it.

i gots a question....im new and i ned a tutoiral for like the insalation for everything and i have no ideas where to look..can some one tell me mayb

where do greaves go on in the mark 6 armor? it just says right/left greave...i found the pep files on the halo wikia but i dunno wat goes to what besides the ones that tell u wat the things go to..thx ^^

DoNut said:
where do greaves go on in the mark 6 armor? it just says right/left greave...i found the pep files on the halo wikia but i dunno wat goes to what besides the ones that tell u wat the things go to..thx ^^

greaves are shins...

As I move along in my build I'm noticing more pieces with built in support struts(ie high def greaves) at what point in the build is it safe to remove these without my piece potentially falling to one side or something goofy? On my helmet I was able to work around them throughout the entire fiberglass stage pretty much, but with smaller openings it will be impossible to fully work around.

Most people leave the supports in until after they have resined the outside, sometimes until the inside is glassed if it's possible.

ok another queston from DoNut, ppl use "mud" which is bondo and hardener but wat if u just use body filler? like jessmo did...how did he so it? o_O

Has anyone worked with the HD MarkVI Helmet file from DanniFood4Less located in the halo wiki http://halocostuming...jolnir_Mark_VI? I have reviewed the scale guides posted and their results offered a scale between 25 or 30. This file has a default scale of 12.71. I located Dannifoods4less in the member list, but he has been inactive for sometime. I have been unable to locate detailed information about the conversions needed for scaling. I have the height in inches /86 * current scale, but I do not think that conversion is applicable to this file. That would produce a factor of 11.1. Any input or feed back from experience from this file would be great. Reversing the calculations, (height in inch=x) x/86=y (scale factor): y*30.342=your correct scale ratio, the default setting of 12.71 would have dannifood4less at 36 inches tall. I know this can not be right. If no one has worked with this file, could I ask that several of you post your height and the dimensions of your helmet to your scale (length, width, and height). If I can get a few of those dimensions, then I could extrapolate a formula to determine the correct ratio of this file. From the file images, this file looked the best. If anyone has a better choice in a hd helmet, I would appreciate any feed back. Thanks.

Hey ive been lurking on here for a while and just signed up as i am going to start an armour set. I am trying to make a full set of recon. But i'm having a few issues. I made the bottom of the helm to test for size (it was too small) and i sized it up 20% (still needs to be cut out). But Does anyone know how i should go about doing the chest(i have the recon chest and HD mark VI chest but i dont want anything on it which i do not need) and the leg parts do not have much detail on ad im wondering how to get the detail. Just a little detail though as i dont want it to take millions of years XD. But does anyone have any tips or info on how to delete parts of the pepakura file so that i only have the HD back and maybe put the recon chest onto the chest in the program so that it fits first time(if that makes any sense).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back