Hayabusa Helmet Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

skaarj69

hi all, i am in the process of building my 4th hayabusa helmet ( the others were 2 small or looked really bad )

[attachment=9776:p1000139.JPG]

i have a few questions or if no one knows educated guesses would be nice :D

1. the ripples on the horns how would u create them i was thinking bog ( or bondo 4 u yanks ;) )
[attachment=9777:80017061...l___Copy.jpg]

2. fibreglassing the inside of the horns looks tricky i was thinking expanding foam any better ways?
[attachment=9778:p1000142.JPG]

3. and painting the back bit, the horns look like they are going 2 get in the way and ideas?

thanks for reading will let u know how it all goes

1. send Ithica a PM and ask him how he did his... his look really nice
2.i wouldnt do expanding foam, i would suggest ordering some smoothcast and hardening it that way
3. you should just be able to tape it off and paint it like you would paint anything else.

You can also try to split them, fibreglass and then glass and bondo the back together, but that is hard :S

also, why not POUR a very generous amount of resin in? like 1-2mm thick

and about the ripples:

how about plumber's epoxy?

just form little tubes and put em on, and sand it

I believe that Ithica did the ripples with a hot glue gun on the first few Hayabusas that he did. Depending on the nozzle diameter you should be able to get bands of varying sizes.

Another way to do it would be to use Apoxie Sculpt and clay tools to get the ripple effect. It's like bondo only it takes 2-3 hours to dry so you'll have more than enough time to work the detail in.

For the horns, I would avoid using expanding foam in excess as it can cause the horns to balloon out. As was already suggested, you can pour in and slush around a thick layer of resin to help stabilize them, another way to do it is the Rondo method but that can get heavy. You could also take fiberglass matting and shred it up into something the consistency of down or a cotton ball and place it in the horn after you put a layer of resin on the inside of it. You can then pour over another layer and use a dowel rod or a popsicle stick to make sure that it penetrates all the shredded matting fully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back