Heat-forming cured Smoothcast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptimusWang

Jr Member
Anyone know if you can heat form cured Smoothcast 320 with a heat gun? I've done it plenty of times with Kydex, but I don't want to ruin the piece if I can help it.

Anyone know if you can heat form cured Smoothcast 320 with a heat gun? I've done it plenty of times with Kydex, but I don't want to ruin the piece if I can help it.

I just read about HaloGoddess fixing a helmet that got warped during shipment with a hair dryer and I think it was Smoothcast. Look for her Kat build thread. The thing you need to worry about is that Smoothcast is going to give off some extremely nasty fumes if you burn it so you probably want to be really careful about not getting too close with a heat gun.

The thing you need to worry about is that Smoothcast is going to give off some extremely nasty fumes if you burn it so you probably want to be really careful about not getting too close with a heat gun.

Also, work outside if you do this. Smoothcast is plastic, so any fumes will be toxic.

You can heat the smooth cast to form it back into shape but be careful not to overheat it, or will melt and actually become worse, also if you are trying to straigten something up that was pep'ed then harden with smooth cast, if you overheat it the smooth cast will seperate from the paper and will give you big air pockets between the smooth cast and the paper which will add to your body work, just don't overheat it and you should be good

Will this also work on fiberglassed or rondoed pieces?. I left some of my armor in my van when I went to a friends house and I noticed when the pieces got hot, they were softer, but I didn't try to hold them in another shape while they were still hot.

Will this also work on fiberglassed or rondoed pieces?. I left some of my armor in my van when I went to a friends house and I noticed when the pieces got hot, they were softer, but I didn't try to hold them in another shape while they were still hot.

Yea h it actually does work with rondo'd and fiberglassed parts, I have had to resort to this method several times, just don't overheat it

I should probably update the thread. After hearing some horror stories on the RPF about heat guns, I ended up dropping the piece into a soup pot of boiling water. After about 2 minutes it was floppy, so I pulled it from the water to let it cool for about a minute before reshaping it. Worked like a charm :cool

Thanks for sharing, I was curious about how it would turn out for you. I don't doubt it works, but it certainly sounds terrifying!! You have any before and after pics?

I should probably update the thread. After hearing some horror stories on the RPF about heat guns, I ended up dropping the piece into a soup pot of boiling water. After about 2 minutes it was floppy, so I pulled it from the water to let it cool for about a minute before reshaping it. Worked like a charm :cool

Good info. thanks for passing it on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back