helment layers

Status
Not open for further replies.

45 Calibre

i've read the tutorials, but i'm kind of confused.
if i want to make pep helment, is the correct order of layers:
the cardstock, then resin, then bondo then another resin layer?
or can it be just cardstock and bondo?

Spartan117x said:
Cardstock

Resin

Fiberglass strips on inside

Resin on inside

Bondo

Correct me if I'm wrong

so if its the out side surface of the helmet then I just skip the fiberglass and 2nd layer of resin, making it:
Cardstock
Resin
Bondo
Paint

right?

Last edited by a moderator:
.45 Calibre said:
so if its the out side surface of the helmet then I just skip the fiberglass and 2nd layer of resin, making it:
Cardstock
Resin
Bondo
Paint

right?

You're going to want to resin the inside and out. (including fiberglass strips)

If you want good armor to stand up against stuff. and its not expensive at all. less than 10 dollars.

true, its not expensive, but its messy and annoying, but if you want an easy alternative with good strength, get some bondo and mix it with resin, i'd say about a 3:1 ratio, then add an appropriate amount of cream hardener and slosh it around in the helmet... its clean and simple, my not quite as strong or light as a few layer of fiberglass...

Resin is necessary for strength. I can't imagine how you'd Bondo a helmet if it were just the cardstock.

If you want to skip a step (or shorten one) it should be Bondo. With the HD Pep pieces out now, I plan on using little to no Bondo. Adding too much will just cover up the detail that's already there.

well aside from the strength issue, bondo is pretty necessary, even with t he HD files, there are many rough edges that need some smoothening. besides, sanded bondo looks far better painted then just painted paper and it adds some degree of strength to the model... but yeah, fiberglass or at least the bondo/resin mixture is definatley necessary. it would be a shame to make a nice looking helmet and some drop it or sit on it and destroy it.

I agree that the rough edges should be taken care of, but Bondo isn't necessary. SANDING is, but not Bondo.

xrallyman has a great looking helmet, and he didn't use any Bondo at all. Just sanded the resin. His thread is here.

.45 Calibre said:
is it okay if i skip the fiberglass strips because i'm lazy :p and it sounds expensive?
The fiberglass is what makes it hard (mixed with resin) you cannot skip this part it's important, because the bondo wont give you any strenght at all... so your helmet would warp and die... Besides it's not expensive. (fiberglass cloth is very cheap). And if your trying to skip these stuff your helmet will suck.

-Fin(n)ish

Finnish_Spartan said:
i'm not sure how to fiberglass the inside of a helment, can someone leave a thread link?
after reading the stickies, i think you apply a coat of resin inside the helment, then a layer of fiberglass (how does it stick? does it need to be cut into shapes?), then another layer of resin. correct me if i'm wrong.

just basically lay the fiberglass cloth out on it. Not really a shape, just as long as it gets on all of the inside helmet. it sticks by you putting loads of resin ontop of it.

Here's what you have to do.

-Cardstock (Can't skip this for obvious reasons)
-Resin Outside (Makes it less flimsy so you can fiberglass easier)
-Fiberglass Inside (Without fiberglass, the helmet will still be extremely flismy)
-Bondo Outside (This makes the helmet smooth, and you add the details. Don't skip unless you want a polygonal helmet)
-Paint (Obvious)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back