[HELP] - Creating a Cosplay Tonfa/Sword: Strider Hiryu Cypher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome, well I have been sanding for a while, by hand... I have an orbital sander but it won't sand this thing at all... but I wanted to ask what could be good for filling areas where foam has deteriorated or fallen off due to oversanding?

I have one good piece (the XPS foam, the purple one without the marker lines on it) but a piece near the handle has fallen off... ALSO can I use WoodGlue for the PVA coating? I used some wood glue on that yellow piece in the middle. I need to get some more glue to coat everything cause I'm all out...

Okay, there are two ways that I can think of to "fill" in areas where you have gaps. Either gluing in pieces of the same type of foam (not easy), using expanding spray foam (messy, but this would be the way I would go). If you go with the expanding foam idea, squirt a bit on the area where you need to fill, and use something disposable, like a paint stir stick, to briefly work it to where you want it. The only downside to the expanding foam is that sometimes it creates large bubbles that you later have to fill with even more foam. After it cures, cut with a sharp blade. The reason why this is the preferred method is because you don't want to use a medium that sands differently from your current foam, because you will find it is a total pain otherwise.

Yes, wood glue should work fine. It should say that it is sand-able on the container. I have used Elmer's Carpenter's wood glue in the past with great success. The nice part about that glue is you can "paint" it on, then, after it dries, use a wet cloth to smooth out the finish. Since it is water based, it will sort of reconstitute the surface of the glue that will allow you to smooth it without having to sand so much.

Hope this info helps!

Ill be restarting the build. I didn't make it in time, the rest of the costume came out but the sword still had issues.

I wanted to make the weapon harder so I covered it in bondo, and it became way too heavy. Ill work on it again and follow a different method and post the results.

1557649_10202313427251628_2007498039_n.jpg

1526185_10202306526359110_1758030880_n.jpg

1524903_10202319204596058_695952435_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back