"Help!" for: Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a few surface mount LEDs that I intend to use as lighing effects if they are both bright and diffuse enough. The site that I got them from was limited on data about them, and I was wondering what you guys thought about using them. Other than being incredibly small and hard to work with, I don't know much about them, at all.

Aside from the package, they're just like any other LED. If you at least have a part number or something like that, you can try finding a datasheet on the manufacturer's website.

Not sure though how you want to use them. I know that some people solder wires to them (or buy them that way) and use them on their model train stuff, but on a large model like armour or a weapon, small through-hole LEDs seem like the better option to me unless you really need a light this small.

I'm thinking about using them as the marker lights on the suit itself. I didn't know they were dimmer that regular LED, I just knew they had a wider view angle... At least, the ones I picked up said they had something like 135 degree view angle, if I recall correctly.

I've got some through-hole LED's as well. I'll use those if the SMD idea doesn't pan out.

SMDs are great for doing effects that are not a bright, but are also more diffuse, they are also smaller, lending themselves to faux holo-displays and the like. One thing I've seen them used for before it to create lit "dots" between two plates in armor, making it look like it's being powered by some kind of nanofiber mesh or something.

I've been keeping my ears to the ground, I might compile a list of tutorials that are usable by the 405th at large. Here's hoping I can find some stuff!

Quick notes on things will include
Flexible circuit boards
EL Wire
Making custom, special-use motors (including a design I have for a cheapo multistage linear solenoid)
How to find, salvage, and use electronic LCD screens

Not that I will be building it anytime soon but just wanted to see what you techs maybe have come up with as per a electronic light up system for a Carters wrist "computer/datapad". I seen some people use their Iphones or what have yah but has anyone else made something other?
I'm still working on mine but it's just about complete, I just made a similar picture that looked like the datapad, printed it onto a transparency, and then lit it up with LEDs. It's pretty easy.

Has anyone tried to make a railgun or coilgun? I think that'll be a cool experiment (assuming you don't get hurt).
Just use the formula F=IlBsinθ, where F=ma. This way you can find the acceleration and then the velocity.

Hey there 405th! New guy here.

My armor is just about finished, and it's time to start picking up the electronics... does anyone have any good recs for a voice box? Maybe something that alters your voice a bit?

I've found plenty of Halloween voice changers on good ol' Amazon, but most of them look like junk. Figured someone here might have some sage wisdom to dish out on that. :)

Hey guys! I have come to you for your vast knowledge because honestly, I dont really have any on this subject =P

I am trying to replicate the firing mechanism of these guns and I have no clue whatsoever as to how I can do this... I'm not all too worried about the 'over heating' the toy does (so far as the Plasma Rifle sides popping out and the Plasma Pistol top going up). I am only concerned on duplicating the shooting without spending $400 per gun. (sounds are not 'needed' but would be very cool. (the LCD/LED screen and making the gun shouldn't be an issue) Thank you VERY much!!

halo3_plasma_weapons.jpg

Effect wanted V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V

Last edited by a moderator:
I am only concerned on duplicating the shooting without spending $400 per gun. (sounds are not 'needed' but would be very cool. (the LCD/LED screen and making the gun shouldn't be an issue) Thank you VERY much!!

As usual, an Arduino would work. But... what IS the issue exactly? If you know how to display a countdown on a display, adding a few LEDs that blink whenever the number changes shouldn't be too much of a problem, right? I don't want to give you the whole "How great Arduinos are" speech if you just have a tiny detail question :-D

As usual, an Arduino would work. But... what IS the issue exactly? If you know how to display a countdown on a display, adding a few LEDs that blink whenever the number changes shouldn't be too much of a problem, right? I don't want to give you the whole "How great Arduinos are" speech if you just have a tiny detail question :-D

Sweeeet! Thanks bunches! Ok... new question haha. Where I can get the chips where it wont cost an arm, or a leg?

Sweeeet! Thanks bunches!

Ah.. you're welcome? Didn't actually think that would already suffice as an answer though :-D
Ok... new question haha. Where I can get the chips where it wont cost an arm, or a leg?

An Arduino is more than just a chip. It's a whole circuit built around one. You can read all about it on their website (arduino.cc or something) or on tons of other pages (Google knows them all). If you want to put this into a small prop, you'll either have to pick a relatively small Arduino, or make your own board. You can try SparkFun and Adafruit to buy one. I prefer those with removable DIP-chips.

Edit: Sorry for the chopped-off style and lack of links, I'm on my latptop and in the dark, which means I have to fight both darkness and a different keyboard layout while typing :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back