"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if there's such a thing as non-toxic body filler?

I've done a quick search for you and found this thread (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...Not-A-Find./page2?highlight=body+filler+toxic), which indicates that Skullcandy Girl has at some point created a tutorial for Aquaresin that also explains how to use it as a putty. Since tonight is your lucky night, I've done the second search for you as well and here's the tutorial: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/7623-Aqua-Resin-Non-toxic-Resin

Aside from that, you could also use any other non-toxic resin and add filling materials and/or a thixotropic agent to thicken it up. That would give you a putty-like consistency.

And remember: Smart lolcatz are always using their built-in stereooptical search devices first!

wherezdadamnsearchbutton.jpg

what kind of resin do you guys suggest? i would like a name not ratio or mixture, also where can i find it?

what kind of resin do you guys suggest? i would like a name not ratio or mixture, also where can i find it?

People in the US usually buy 3M's Bondo "Fibreglass Resin", which is a polyester resin. If you aren't in the US, other polyester resin will do as well, you can usually find it where car or boat repair supplies are sold or online.

You can also use other kinds of resin, urethane-based Smooth-On products are rather popular among US-members and epoxy works as well.

Please make sure to read the Noob list or one of its country-specific alternatives, pretty much everything you need is in there.

@ sm24 I think you should look into Aquaresin depending on if your doing a full suit or just a helmet I would get the starter kit its like $25 but you can only get it in some stores depending on where you live. In my case I didn't have the option I had to order it off the website.

Anyone know how much fibreglass is standard? Cause I'm thinking of doing 2 layers of mat and cloth or three layers of mat cloth mat.

Anyone know how much fibreglass is standard? Cause I'm thinking of doing 2 layers of mat and cloth or three layers of mat cloth mat.

There really isn't any standard. For the smaller pieces, like the gauntlet and shoulders, you could get away with one. However, for durability, I recommend doing at least 2 on the smaller pieces, and up to 4 on the bigger pieces, like the chest.

Okay yeah my house is filled with the fibreglass resin smell. I take it I am utterly screwed? I was doing it in my garage with some fans on blowing out away from my house and I finished, walked back inside and I smell the resin. I have some fans on around my house trying to blow the resin out, but yeah.... Any help or anything?>

Okay yeah my house is filled with the fibreglass resin smell. I take it I am utterly screwed? I was doing it in my garage with some fans on blowing out away from my house and I finished, walked back inside and I smell the resin. I have some fans on around my house trying to blow the resin out, but yeah.... Any help or anything?>

Naw. You're fine. You probably got some one your skin or clothes. It will go away after you shower or change your clothes.

Hey guys, found one of the best (and fastest) resining techniques!!!
My uncle owns a surfboard shop, so im blessed with resin!!!
Anyway the best resin to use is called Suncure polyester resin. Once you apply it you take the piece outside into the sunlight for a few minutes (2-5) and the resin is completly dry!!! You can then sand back immeaditly and start a new coat!
I used suncure resin on my first prop model and it worked rather well!! No warps!

Hey guys.
I'm currently building a fill suit of Varia armor, from Metroid: Other M. Now, I don't know if I'm the first person to think of this, but instead of using resin, what about painting on a layer or two of wood glue? I've used wood glue in previous projects, and that stuff gets unbelievably hard. It's not too expensive either, not so much that it's going to break the bank.
Would this work? I live in dorms, so I don't have access to a shop to use actual fiberglass resin and I live in a very cold area, so going outside is really something that is a big no.

I have just completed peping my first MK IV helmet designed by FLYING SQUIRL. I have installed the inner braces to provide support and avoid any warping issues. However, with the support braces installed, I dont have room to access the interior to properly lay in some fibreglass. If I apply several layers of epoxy resin to the outside of the helmet, will it be stable enough to remove the supports and not have any warping issues? Id like to show my work, but unfortunately I do not yet have permission to start my own build thread or post pictures.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Yes. I've made two helmets (well, 1 1/2, the second is in progress) and with careful application of resin on the outside you can minimize warping.

Also, you may want to try the "Rondo" method of stiffening vice fibreglass. It uses a combination of auto-body filler (typically "Bondo" brand) and resin to slush around inside the helm to stiffen it. With this method, you could leave the supports in for the first application. Then take them out and add another layer of "Rondo" or put in a layer of fibreglass.

Check out this vid on using "Rondo":

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you fibreglass all the layers of fibreglass mat/cloth at once or do you need to wait in between layers?

You can lay multiple layers on at once, but I'm afraid I don't know how many.

Id like to show my work, but unfortunately I do not yet have permission to start my own build thread or post pictures.

You can start a build thread on the noob board if you want. Also, you will have to use a platform like Photobucket to upload pictures, no matter where or when you post your thread.

I have access to pre impregnated carbon fiber cloth. Im hoping this will allow me to make the helmet shell thinner and lighter than it would be if I use fiber glass cloth. Has anybody had any experience with using such a project? Any tips?

I have access to pre impregnated carbon fiber cloth. Im hoping this will allow me to make the helmet shell thinner and lighter than it would be if I use fiber glass cloth. Has anybody had any experience with using such a project? Any tips?

I don't think anyone here has used carbon fiber to harden their suit simply because it's too expensive for a hobby like this.

I have a friend who is building an airplane in his garage and it uses soem carbon fiber. As far as I know tke key to working with it is to make sure you get as much air out of the layers of fiber as you can. If I had access to it for free I would give it a shot but glass is much much cheaper. I have my helet completed and people often say they are supprised how light it is. I have spots of bondo that are about a quarter inch thick and glass inside also and still it is lighter than say a motorcycle helmet but as far as I am concerned; I would rather have it stronger and slightly heavier just to be on the safe side. I'm not going to be running wind sprints with the suit on anyhow lol :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back